gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:04:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161312 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »

With more than before some Love You tracks being played, here's to hope after the end of Pet Sounds tour they go more into Love You tracks, now i'll go back to see him for that !!!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »

Also, I never truly appreciated the instrumentals of Pet Sounds until hearing them live, they are lovely pieces! 
Couldn't agree more -- I was really struck by this hearing Pet Sounds live in 2013 and 2016. So many dazzling little passages and textures in the songs I hadn't noticed before, as many times as I've heard them.

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »

Got back from my Seattle trip, tried to look for a boardie here who asked me in PM if i was attending the show, nothing, but got to meet amazing people, from young hipsters to parents, which the later were very excited about by enjoyment of the show, i got lot of compliments over my "passion" during the performance, i guess i was very expressif during the songs haha!

What can i say, i was on a cloud! number one on my bucketlist, a dream come true

Sad Darian is mussin', but still, the most surreal experience, spiritual, takes the album to a wole other level, very technical, i love how they push the harmonies in it and extend some outros of songs, setlist was great, was surprised Night Was So Young was already dropped of already Sad but it's a win-win cause Wake & Add Some came back, add that to Feel Flows, which surprised many people i talked too (funny enough, while introducing that song Blondie said it was from So Tough, then realized he confused it while exchanging some words with some band members just said to correct himself "Surf's Up", leaving people to believe they'll play the song !!! i was in shock for seconds, before realizing he meant the album title hahaha)

Ziggy,  so sorry we didn't get to meet.  I actually had a severe 48hr bug and I missed the show.  My daughter and her husband were the crazies in the 5th row on the aisle.  Glad you enjoyed the show.  Dang, I wanted to hear Pet Sounds live 1 more time before my time comes !!

Nothing i can add much more than i guess what everyone that attends these tours don't already know, just that i was bummed out byt he merch: some okay sutff, but the coolest thing was by far the boomer jacket picking from the Pet Sounds colors, but 90 dollars??? if anyone knows where i can find that on the internet or wants to get ride of it, i'll be very interested

Also i got to meet the percussionist dude, sorry forgot the name at top of my head, the guy with the long blonde hair! he came out in the audience after the show was done and people were leaving, and he was rockin' a Smithereens shirt to wich i complimented him to, only to realized he only came by to say hi to some people from the audience he seemed to already know, so i let him be by just shooking his hand saying how amazing the show was.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

New date:
Aug. 5, Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza in Glastonbury, England
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »

I saw the Vancouver show on Saturday (flew in from Calgary) and am seeing the Calgary show tonight!  I also saw the Hollywood Bowl show this past summer earlier in the Pet Sounds tour.  The Vancouver show was great.  Brian was in good humour, voice and form for the first set.

They started with a clip of River Deep Mountain High with Mertens and then Gregory handling the vocals then went right into Cal Girls.  Highlights for me were Brian on The Night Was So Young, Blondie on Feel Flows, Wild Honey and Sail On Sailor (man that guy has the rock swagger thang going on), Matt Jardine on Don't Worry Baby and Let Him Run Wild (he is my fave falsetto next to Brian's classic era and perhaps Frankie Valli), and damn near everything that comes from Al Jardine's vocal cords!

To be honest Brian didn't seem very into Pet Sounds and his vocals and phrasing really took a downturn during this set.  He did deliver on God Only Knows and Sloop John B but the other tracks suffered.

Brian seemed to kick back into gear during the encore.  I really enjoyed the show overall.  The band is UNBELIEVABLE.  I have seen them over 30 times and they do not disappoint.  Always worth the time and expense of traveling to see them.  I got a copy of the setlist thanks to fellow Canadian Clint (Big thanks!), and I had a nice chat with Brian's first wife Marilyn and her equally charming husband Daniel who Brian dedicated the show to.  Always a privilege to see the master Brian.  Go see him now folks as the song goes, "Won't last forever...it's kinda sad".

Looking forward to Calgary tonight.  Hope the band makes it safely through the snowstorm!  I'd love to hear Wake The World (I have seen the band play that yet), or Honkin Down The Highway.  Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:39:27 AM by Rich E P » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »

Just came out of the Winnipeg show! Brian seemed to be in a good mood and sang well, particularly during the first set. I'm on my phone right now so I'll go into more detail when I get access to a computer, but for now here's the set list:

River Deep Mountain High (intro)
California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Do It Again
Surfer Girl
Wake the World
Add Some Music
California Saga
Don't Worry Baby
Let Him Run Wild
Feel Flows
Wild Honey
Sail on Sailor

Break

Pet Sounds - with Row Row Row Your Boat after Don't Talk

Encore:
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love and Mercy

Curiously, they did Salt Lake City at the soundcheck but it didn't make it into the show.
Scaroline No
« Reply #356 on: April 16, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »

I didn't take any videos during the show itself because I just wanted to be fully present and not watch through my phone, but I took a few at the soundcheck in case anyone is interested  Smiley

Salt Lake City:
https://youtu.be/TdxA8pMMRtQ

Little Honda:
https://youtu.be/mQpQxlcAH2M

California Saga: California:
https://youtu.be/GLDJpKigSa0

Feel Flows:
https://youtu.be/uZHNcK0dOIY

Wild Honey:
https://youtu.be/PFQ5eusJZx0
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 19, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »

It looks like Matt has missed the last few shows based on some reviews and reports i've seen.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 19, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »

Who sang "Don't Worry Baby"?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: April 19, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »

According to the Sioux City local review, it's a guy named Casey McDonough of NRBQ.

I believe you can see him (just a bit) and hear him in this YouTube clip of a recent show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRKT9v2w_c

This review (http://siouxcityjournal.com/entertainment/columnists/miller/review-brian-wilson-offers-the-beach-boys-sound-most-haven/article_06e28b0d-510b-532c-8a1f-53407e79698c.html) seems to suggest they handed over all of Matt's leads to this guy, including two songs in the first set and PS material.

Hopefully it's a short term issue with Matt and hopefully he'll be back soon. It looks like Matt was posting about being in Canada for gigs on Facebook just a few days ago, so whatever came up I would guess was pretty sudden.

Surprised a bit they didn't go for Randell Kirsche who, since leaving (seemingly booted from?) Mike's band a couple years ago, has been essentially replacing Matt's falsetto in Matt's sideband "California Surf Inc."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:05:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 19, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »

Very interesting. Yes...it does seem he was booted from "The Beach Boys"...but honestly, I prefer "Ike". Regardless, has Kirsch ever worked with Brian Wilson (or Al Jardine for that matter) to have a connection to them, besides Matt Jardine?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: April 19, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »

Very interesting. Yes...it does seem he was booted from "The Beach Boys"...but honestly, I prefer "Ike". Regardless, has Kirsch ever worked with Brian Wilson (or Al Jardine for that matter) to have a connection to them, besides Matt Jardine?

Kirsche has worked with Al in the past. I saw him play with Al's "Family & Friends" in 2000, and I believe he's listed in Al's "Live in Las Vegas" CD liner notes, so I'm guessing he was a sporadic fill-in for Al prior to joining Mike's band a few years later.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 19, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »

I'm glad i got to see Matt live! maybe they felt he stole the show?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »

I saw him twice in 2015 and Matt steals the show for sure doing 1960s era BW falsetto! Though the man himself never disappoints in any key or era.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 19, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

I seriously doubt he is "out" for good and he certainly doesn't steal the show. In the end, it's still a Brian Wilson Fest...even if "Don't Worry Baby" gets thunderous applause every night.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 19, 2017, 09:56:41 PM »

Nah man even at the end when each members get presented on stage Matt has an crazy long ovation.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 20, 2017, 07:46:47 AM »

I've seen Matt with them three times and while he got a great reception, it was far from outshining the "main attractions"...both his father and Brian always had the most applause at the end...even on "off" nights for Brian. Out of the whole backing band though, he probably did get the best response.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:56 AM »

I'm sure Matt will be back soon enough he is amazing and fits the band so well. I just hope when he comes back so do the Love You tracks. If not I think we've seen the last of those.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 20, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »

I'm sure Matt will be back soon enough he is amazing and fits the band so well. I just hope when he comes back so do the Love You tracks. If not I think we've seen the last of those.

I've wanted to ask the percussionist guy so bad about dropping the Love You tracks, but he was with friends Sad
i'm optimistic thinking they're working on it maybe for a future tour Huh

Also i agree, i looked at SMiLE live 2004 again last night which is tremendous, Brian sings beautifully, but part of me really wishes we could redo it with Matt in it instead of robot Jeff Foskett.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: April 20, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »

Matt and Al singing on the full "Smile" album would be major.

Who knows, maybe with Mike pulling out some sort of "Wild Honey" tour this year, Brian and his folks will be spurred to try something more adventurous and hammer out a short little "Smile" tour before the end of the year.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »

Matt and Al singing on the full "Smile" album would be major.

Who knows, maybe with Mike pulling out some sort of "Wild Honey" tour this year, Brian and his folks will be spurred to try something more adventurous and hammer out a short little "Smile" tour before the end of the year.

There you go getting me all hopes up!!!!! i'm beggin' on my knees please!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »

By the way, maybe it's just me, but i just noticed Jeff wears THE SAME CLOTHES as Brian during the SMiLE live... yikes
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 21, 2017, 02:35:24 AM »

From a poster BeachBoysAR312 over at Brian's board.

'Hi everyone! So I asked Probyn about this last night. No need to worry. Matt is OK, he just had to step back for a few shows due to unexpected circumstances back home; therefore, Casey is filling in. He's good. Saw one video earlier of Don't Talk and That's Not Me, which is posted above. Hoping to find more video. Matt will be back when the situation is resolved, hopefully soon. All is well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention'
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 21, 2017, 08:27:40 PM »

I hope Matt will be back when I see them on the 28th.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 21, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »

I attended the show in Columbus, Ohio tonight. This was my first time seeing Brian live and I'm so happy I did. I normally don't go to live shows, crowds give me the willies honestly.

The set list played was very close to the one listed above although "Help Me, Rhonda" was played during the first set. I was hoping to be surprised and hear something from LOVE YOU but I know that's a long shot.

Just being able to see Brian (and Al, Blondie, et al) was worth every penny. Being in the same building with the man and paying homage is what it's all about. The theater was rapturous in their love and adoration of Brian (and band).

I really do think "Love & Mercy" is now in my top 5 favorite BW songs. Hearing the various live performances of it over the years (through the power of YouTube and elsewhere) brought a much deeper appreciation for what a special piece of music it is. I smiled when Brian sang "I was sitting in a crappy movie with my hands on my chin". Yes, he actually said crappy.

Love & Mercy to all.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx