gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:24:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161374 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »

Thank you SO much for posting "Feel Flows"! What I heard sounded great -- hoping to find a full-length version next.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 24, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »

Hey all

I lurk daily but never post .

I was the guy who filmed Feel flows .   I'm still mind blown that this was played and I recorded right away .   My phone ran out of memory and couldn't film the whole thing

Enjoy the clip !
Thanks!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »

Hey all

I lurk daily but never post .

I was the guy who filmed Feel flows .   I'm still mind blown that this was played and I recorded right away .   My phone ran out of memory and couldn't film the whole thing

Enjoy the clip !
Thanks!

Seconded!
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2017, 09:09:06 PM »

Was at the show in Orlando. Brian was singing great, and hearing Feel Flows live was amazing. I also did the meet and greet, and they're no longer signing personal items, but I think Blondie was signing things for people after the sound check. Overall a great show.

SETLIST:
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around
Little Honda
Do It Again
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Let Him Run Wild
The Night Was So Young
California Saga
Feel Flows
Wild Honey
Sail On Sailor
Intermission, then Pet Sounds
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love And Mercy
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2017, 09:23:43 PM »

Were they very strict about no signing? Almost unbelievable that you can't even get one thing signed for $500...

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2017, 01:18:20 AM »

still no night was so young videos? Sad
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2017, 06:07:15 AM »

Good to see some of the new/rare cuts survive from the first show.

It looks like the shows are a little shorter now, at least in terms of number of songs. Though that may be in part due to "Feel Flows" being on the longer side.

Kind of a bummer, though, that Al is relegated pretty much to one song in the first set. Not that his turn on the car songs was ever my first pick for tracks for Al to do, but Al seems to be playing vocally an even more minimal part in the shows. His car songs are gone, his vocal turn on "Sail Away" is gone, and instead of getting, say *two* songs in the pre-Blondie part of the set (e.g. "Then I Kissed Her" and "Cotton Fields"), he just gets the one. So he's kinda just getting Cal Saga, Rhonda, and then his parts on the PS songs. Assuming he hasn't been given any leads that Brian previously sang.

At this stage, Matt and Blondie are arguably getting more lead vocal turns than Al. I'd almost assume Al has a cold or something and they're cutting his songs, but the two setlists we've seen so far are identical and nine days apart.

The new additions to the setlist are very cool, but I'm perplexed why Al is being given fewer and fewer leads.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2017, 06:21:37 AM »

It looks like the shows are a little shorter now, at least in terms of number of songs. Though that may be in part due to "Feel Flows" being on the longer side.

Kind of a bummer, though, that Al is relegated pretty much to one song in the first set. Not that his turn on the car songs was ever my first pick for tracks for Al to do, but Al seems to be playing vocally an even more minimal part in the shows. His car songs are gone, his vocal turn on "Sail Away" is gone, and instead of getting, say *two* songs in the pre-Blondie part of the set (e.g. "Then I Kissed Her" and "Cotton Fields"), he just gets the one. So he's kinda just getting Cal Saga, Rhonda, and then his parts on the PS songs. Assuming he hasn't been given any leads that Brian previously sang.

At this stage, Matt and Blondie are arguably getting more lead vocal turns than Al. I'd almost assume Al has a cold or something and they're cutting his songs, but the two setlists we've seen so far are identical and nine days apart.

The new additions to the setlist are very cool, but I'm perplexed why Al is being given fewer and fewer leads.

Al's minimal participation has long been vexing.

I have to wonder though, has Al's profile risen considerably since he's been touring with Brian that he could possibly strike out on his own again? Al's first "family and friends" tours were coming off the back of the Beach Boys, but solo Brian appeals to a different kind of crowd that might have passed him over years ago.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »

Al's minimal participation has long been vexing.

I have to wonder though, has Al's profile risen considerably since he's been touring with Brian that he could possibly strike out on his own again? Al's first "family and friends" tours were coming off the back of the Beach Boys, but solo Brian appeals to a different kind of crowd that might have passed him over years ago.

I just don't think Al doing a lot of solo stuff is particularly viable. I mean, it is viable in theory. I've wished for years Al would do a nice club tour doing rare cuts and all of that. Seems very doable. But he doesn't seem interested in pursuing that, and before C50 and teaming back up with Brian, he had mostly just been booking the random gigs here and there, often teamed up with Dean Torrence and/or David Marks where he was doing mostly the "meat and potatoes" numbers. Al managed a few more unique gigs on his own, like his 2012 "Postcards" gig at the Roxy and his 2014 Rubin Museum NYC gig. I was in particular hoping that NYC gig in 2014 might be a good model for Al doing some select gigs like that here and there, even in between Brian tours.

I like Al's role in Brian's band. It's a stark contrast to how Mike's apparent feelings for Brian and living in Brian's shadow/legacy have evolved. Mike has become more inflammatory and adversarial, whereas Al got past the ego issue and happily supports Brian, taking a back seat both figuratively and literally. I love how Al and Brian are a team in the show, and it isn't like that 2005 Hawthorne landmark gig where they were both there but couldn't even share a stage, with Al awkwardly singing at a podium to a backing track plugging his children's book, etc.

I also get that it's a Brian show and I think they have to be sensitive to how critics might question if literally like 50 or 75% of a Brian show features other guys singing leads. But this is also essentially a "Brian Wilson Band" show, and essentially Brian's alternative "Beach Boys" in all but name, and I'm glad people have embraced Matt and Blondie and Al singing some leads.

So I wouldn't want to see Al break off from Brian's band. C50 was so awful for the band's public relationship, and Al and Brian sticking together is about the only warm and fuzzy left from all of that acrimony.

But I've certainly been advocating for several years now that an EASY and BRILLIANT solution to adding more songs, and adding more Blondie/Al content without overtaxing Brian would be to just stick a little mini set in the middle of the show where Brian can relax off stage.

In any event, it's just a bummer to see Al relegated to a couple of leads, and the same old leads to boot. I dunno, maybe Al is helping to make more room for Matt to be featured more prominently, and that isn't a bad thing of course.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »

In the event that Brian does stop touring, or tour less, I'd love to see this band transition to being Al's band (or Al's and Blondie's band), a kind of new "Friends and Family" band. I don't know how financially viable that would be--it's an awfully big band to support, and without the big guy's name on there, that would lose appeal for some people--but they're so good...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »

Were they very strict about no signing? Almost unbelievable that you can't even get one thing signed for $500...
At least at the show I was at, there was no way you would be able to get anything signed via the meet and greet. The woman who manages the whole VIP thing is right in front of you taking pictures, and she said multiple times there won't be any signing. I wish they stuck to the two personal items thing that they used the last leg of the tour.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »

I was ready to record The Night Was So Young, but as soon as I started an usher made me turn my camera off.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »

I was ready to record The Night Was So Young, but as soon as I started an usher made me turn my camera off.

I'll give it a try tomorrow night, provided the song is performed of course, and the ushers aren't too vigilant.
I don't  feel bad doing it - Brian's people, and Al,  show the fans' recordings on their respective FB pages so they are obviously cool with it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:04:14 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »

I'll give it a try tomorrow night, provided the song is performed of course, and the ushers aren't too vigilant.
I don't  feel bad doing it - Brian's people, and Al,  show the fans' recordings on their respective FB pages so they are obviously cool with it.

Let's make this happen! in NOLA BB fan we trust !!!!

Thanks for trying bummerinparadise, who sang the lead on it???
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »

Brian sang the lead for the show I was at.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »

Brian sang the lead for the show I was at.

Woah !!!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 28, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »

I agree about the lack of Al leads. Last year he had leads on the car songs and Wake the World in additional to Cal Saga/Cottonfields in the first set.  Maybe Al is choosing not to sing more leads.
For me personally, the 3 songs especially the extended Wild Honey is too much Blondie.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »

In the event that Brian does stop touring, or tour less, I'd love to see this band transition to being Al's band (or Al's and Blondie's band), a kind of new "Friends and Family" band. I don't know how financially viable that would be--it's an awfully big band to support, and without the big guy's name on there, that would lose appeal for some people--but they're so good...

In the event that Brian retires within the next year or two, I'd like to think that Al could continue (at least for a few years) with Brian's band as "The Brian Wilson Band featuring Al Jardine". Of course, the venues would be smaller and the income wouldn't be what it is with Brian front and center, but I think Al would find a much more receptive audience these days compared to his first go-round of touring on his own.

Of course, and to bounce off what Hey Jude mentioned, that's assuming he would even want to shoulder the responsibility of such a thing at this point and that doesn't appear to be the case. 

...and prior to teaming up with Brian these past few years, I had always wished Al could join up with Ringo's All-Starr Band because he fits the original concept of that band: an artist/member of a 60's band with some recognizable hits he could perform with the All-Starrs (usually about three per show)...but alas it never happened.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »

Wow- great minds think alike! I have ALWAYS said that Al Jardine belonged in at least one rotation of the all-starr band. What three songs would you think he could do? I would think "Wouldn't it Be Nice" "California Saga" and "Help Me Rhonda"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »

If Al were continue on with the band after Brian were to retire,  I'd go see him

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2017, 06:32:35 AM »

If Al did his own shows, either before or after Brian retiring, and was backed by Brian's band (or some smaller combination thereof), that would of course be beyond amazing. I don't see that as particularly realistic, but then again back in the mid 2000s I never thought we'd see Al appearing on stage at a Brian show, and certainly didn't anticipate he's be with Brian more or less full-time.

As for Al in Ringo's All-Starr Band, I have thought about that over the years as well, especially since Al being bounced from the BB touring band in 1998. Al certainly has *more* than enough hits, so on that count he qualifies. But All-Starr bands need the members to pull their weight on the musicianship end as well. Now, let me make it very clear that Al is very much a good guitar player; I've seen him do stuff I never thought he could do in concert. He has the actual base ability. But over the years he hasn't tended to do much at typical BB shows as far as guitar work, especially past the early-mid 70s. You'll often even see him in concert in more recent years simply stop playing and just sing in the middle of songs (which is fine when he does that; it's his amazingly intact voice that is his instrument more than anything). Again, let me reiterate he is a strong guitarist, stronger than probably most fans think he is. I've seen him do David/Carl-style leads in concert; he actually can play that stuff.

But what I *don't* picture Al doing is prominently playing rhythm guitar on 25 songs from other artists he has never played before, and doing so prominently in the mix. He *could* do it, but I don't know if what Al would want to do is do a tour where he plays "Black Magic Woman" and "Bang the Drum" and "Africa" where you have to bust your ass on guitar every night, and then just sing "Rhonda" and one or two others.

Conversely, a typical All-Starr Band might have trouble doing lush BB harmonies. So in that sense, Al maybe wouldn't be the best fit.

However, I think Al *could* work if a strong lead guitarist were in place. Back in 1997/98, Ringo had to awkwardly fire Dave Mason at the eleventh hour and Peter Frampton did the entire tour as *sole* guitarist, probably the most impressive lead guitar performance of any Ringo tour, playing not only his own stuff and Ringo's tunes, but flying solo recreating the work on Eric Clapton on Jack Bruce's Cream songs, Robin Trower on Gary Brooker's Procol Harum stuff, not to mention Bad Company songs. In any event, if Al were in a band where he didn't have to a ton of musical heavy lifting, that could work.

Ringo's All-Starr Band is interesting, because for the last five or however many years, he has essentially given up the whole original crux of the band, which was a *rotating* group of members, and has toured with the same stale band. I would imagine Ringo is interested in a streamlined, no-bulls**t touring setup now that he has guys he likes. But it has made it pretty stale from the concertgoer point of view, where I for one loved seeing his tours and getting to see and hear some people I either would rarely even get the chance to see if I wanted to (e.g. Gary Brooker), or people I ended up digging who I probably wouldn't have sought out tickets for.

WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:31 AM »

Will be in NOLA tonight.  Can't wait!!  Was hoping for a Wake the World and Add Some Music, but don't think we will get that.  Oh well, will still be a great show.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »

At least at the show I was at, there was no way you would be able to get anything signed via the meet and greet. The woman who manages the whole VIP thing is right in front of you taking pictures, and she said multiple times there won't be any signing. I wish they stuck to the two personal items thing that they used the last leg of the tour.
That's a real bummer. I've often advocated that the $500 price tag for these meet & greets were reasonable due to the value of the ticket and the value of the items you could get signed. Not anymore. I assume the book was pre-signed? Any chance we could see a photo? After the debacle with Premiere Collectibles, I would be hesitant of anything "signed" by Brian that I didn't personally witness...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »

Valid point...given the current lineup of the all-stars, I couldn't see Al holding down the rhythm parts on the music of Santana or Toto. He could swing the Mr. Mister stuff as well as Todd Rundgren's material and most of Ringo's stuff. But if he were just added in as a third guitarist, he could do it since he could drop in and out as he pleases, like he does now anyway. As far as vocals, I think this current band could handle BB harmonies...but that is far from true for all incarnations of the band.

I'm really tired of this lineup honestly. They are absolutely incredible...but it has gotten tiring. I never had the desire to hear anything remotely related to Mr. Mister live, yet I now have a total of four times since 2010 with Ringo. Even the stuff I LOVE (AKA The rest of the band) has been exhausted at this point.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »

That's a real bummer. I've often advocated that the $500 price tag for these meet & greets were reasonable due to the value of the ticket and the value of the items you could get signed. Not anymore. I assume the book was pre-signed? Any chance we could see a photo? After the debacle with Premiere Collectibles, I would be hesitant of anything "signed" by Brian that I didn't personally witness...
https://ibb.co/fHPirF < There's a picture of the book I got with the package. Yes it was pre-signed, so I'm not going to trust that it's authentic. I honestly didn't think it was even close to being worth it. The meet and greet felt like people said it was during C50, enough time for a quick handshake and picture before you got rushed out. The whole thing was finished in 10 minutes, so it's not like they had to stop doing signing due to time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:46:04 PM by bummerinparadise » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx