gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:13:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161266 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/shaun.philipps/videos/10158510561640094/

I also asked him to upload it to YouTube.

Thanks. I guess my instinct was incorrect, and the downloader websites don't allow downloading of private videos. Makes sense. So hopefully they'll put it up on YouTube.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »

At both shows I Saw last year, it was a very even spread of ages however both crowds were very bland. I'm noticing this more and more at all concerts now. Everyone is too wrapped up in filming the whole f-ing thing and not enjoying it.

I saw quite a few shows on the 2016 leg and some audiences were really into it, especially Montreal and Toronto.  There was also a good mix of young and older people.  At the Montreal show the announcer actually asked people not to film or photograph the concert and to just enjoy it as an experience "not through the lens of an I-pad" or something like that.  That got a huge cheer. 

The thing I find hilarious is when you watch a video or TV broadcast of a show, and people in *that* audience are trying to shoot the thing on their smartphone. Seriously, you're at one of the rare instances where you're surrounded by a professional video crew, and the whole thing will be aired and/or released. Why do you need a crummy smartphone video of *that* show?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/shaun.philipps/videos/10158510561640094/

I also asked him to upload it to YouTube.

Thanks. I guess my instinct was incorrect, and the downloader websites don't allow downloading of private videos. Makes sense. So hopefully they'll put it up on YouTube.

I very badly need to see this. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »

At both shows I Saw last year, it was a very even spread of ages however both crowds were very bland. I'm noticing this more and more at all concerts now. Everyone is too wrapped up in filming the whole f-ing thing and not enjoying it.

I saw quite a few shows on the 2016 leg and some audiences were really into it, especially Montreal and Toronto.  There was also a good mix of young and older people.  At the Montreal show the announcer actually asked people not to film or photograph the concert and to just enjoy it as an experience "not through the lens of an I-pad" or something like that.  That got a huge cheer.  

The thing I find hilarious is when you watch a video or TV broadcast of a show, and people in *that* audience are trying to shoot the thing on their smartphone. Seriously, you're at one of the rare instances where you're surrounded by a professional video crew, and the whole thing will be aired and/or released. Why do you need a crummy smartphone video of *that* show?

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but being as one never knows when/if that professionally-filmed footage will ever make it to "air", as well as if the entirety of the pro-shot show will ever be shown (as opposed to just portions), I can get why people would still film it. Like for example: we know the Hollywood Bowl C50 show was professionally filmed (I think I've read that on this board)... yet it's never been released, and especially with the bitterness post-reunion, likely will never be released in its entirety, the whole show start-to-finish. I'd be shocked if it was. So the people who filmed that show on iPhones may wind up having the only released footage of it.

Same deal with that late 1983 show that was one of Denny's last (which a pro-shot clip is seen of him singing You Are So Beautiful on a released BB doc, I forget which one)... the whole show is available as an audience boot, but we'll surely never see that whole show released, even though there may have been professional cameras everywhere to document it at the time. Thank goodness for tapers! It's always good for historical reasons to have as many different recordings/angles as possible.

That said, I assume most people these days who film shows with iPhones are not geeky BB archivists, but just ordinary fans who want their own personal memory of the show. I used to tape and film lots of shows (including "stealth" filming in the pre-iPhone days - that was ANYTHING but fun to do), and while I'm glad to have a document of the old shows I was at, it's definitely something where I can say that the distraction of my own taping (as opposed to just sitting back and enjoying the show) DID cut into my enjoyment of the shows I attended at a certain point.

Plus, I also get how it can be annoying as an audience member who is NOT taping themselves, to see a sea of iPhone screens in front of them. Totally get that. Maybe Google Glass is the answer to this (even though that will introduce a host of other privacy issues).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:52:43 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »

Definitely, for sure. I wasn't talking so much live shows that just happen to have a video crew present (where indeed who knows if that footage will be aired/released), but rather things that go out *live* on the air or are being captured for a very specific purpose to be aired (e.g. a Disney Christmas show or something), with little likelihood that what they're seeing won't be aired.

The deal with smartphones at shows is that, unlike the olden days when people snuck camcorders in and shot entire shows, a lot of people (understandably) only get individual songs, or parts of songs. So it's ironic that the proliferation of smartphones that can shoot video has not led to a huge increase in *full-length*, complete audience-shot videos circulating.

And yes, a lot of it, especially for "casual" fans, is about themselves more than who they're seeing. I can't even count how many events I've looked up on Instagram where 99% of the pictures are selfies at the event rather than actual pictures of the even itself.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »

Behold:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSMHtoBPIpM&feature=youtu.be
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »

That sounds fu**ing awesome. The band sounds amazing, and Blondie's lead totally works.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »

That sounds fu**ing awesome. The band sounds amazing, and Blondie's lead totally works.

WOW. Totally agreed - this is rad - way, way rad.  I think any naysayers will backtrack once they see how good this is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

I was really impressed with Blondie's singing.  He nailed it. 
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »

Wow just wow! What a tribute to Carl I'm sure if he would love such a performance.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »

Nice. Hope for a complete start to finish close up version sometime.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2017, 03:17:53 AM »

So who sang on The Night Was So Young? Matt?
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:16 AM »

That is great. Has Brian ever performed this in concert solo?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2017, 06:00:49 AM »

Definitely not. As occasionally discussed, Brian rarely does BB songs he didn't have a hand in writing, and even more rarely does Dennis or Carl songs written by those guys outside of Brian. He has occasionally done "Forever", and David Marks did "Little Bird" back in 2013, and that's about it.

The "Beach Boys" proper last did "Feel Flows" in 1977 as I recall, and setlist.fm shows a couple shows in 2007 where Mike's band did the song, apparently with Christian Love on lead. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2017, 06:03:32 AM »

Brian's band has often been touted (and rightly so) as being so pin-point accurate on the 60s material (PS, Smile, etc.), but "Feel Flows" and stuff like their turn on "Hold on Dear Brother" a few years ago shows how *amazing* they sound doing 70s material.

Let's hope "Feel Flows" stays in the setlist, and also that they might try "Leaving This Down" again (rehearsed last year but never performed), and maybe even something like "The Trader" and Al's "Lookin' at Tomorrow" (rehearsed for PBS in 2014 but not performed).

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2017, 06:19:34 AM »

Damn that sounds great!! I love the reverb/echo effect on his voice, really works well with trying to keep the atmospheric sound of the album version. Thanks for linking this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »

Amazing, can't check the fact that BW band is rocking in 2017!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »

Thanks CK for posting!! Blondie handled FF(my absolute fave CW song) with ease. Now I'm trying to remember if I saw Carl do that on his solo gig or with the BBs or both.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »

(OSD woots in person)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »

I love Blondie as the vocalist on this tune (as well as the fact that they're doing it at all). I'd also love to see a couple others from the era introduced, whether Blondie vocals (Leaving This Town, Hold On Dear Brother), Al vocals (Lookin At Tomorrow) or something else entirely (All This is That).

I recognize that it's awfully hard to find room in a setlist already chock-full of hits that very few people want to see omitted--especially when you're already performing one full album--but I'd love to see such a thing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »

Room could be made by dropping some of the songs from the encore set that has been the same for ages. Or simply switching up the Blondie set songs into a Surf's up/ CATP set with Al/BW.

barf0wnz
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

Hey all

I lurk daily but never post .

I was the guy who filmed Feel flows .   I'm still mind blown that this was played and I recorded right away .   My phone ran out of memory and couldn't film the whole thing

Enjoy the clip !
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »

Chills watching the feel flows video.

Truly the best band of all time.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »

Room could be made by dropping some of the songs from the encore set that has been the same for ages. Or simply switching up the Blondie set songs into a Surf's up/ CATP set with Al/BW.

Y-yyyoooouuuu m-mmeeaannn d-dropp Barbara(effin') Ann?Huh  Shocked Shocked Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »

Hey all

I lurk daily but never post .

I was the guy who filmed Feel flows .   I'm still mind blown that this was played and I recorded right away .   My phone ran out of memory and couldn't film the whole thing

Enjoy the clip !

Thank you SO MUCH for filming this.  I dearly hope this is on the setlist when I see them.  If not I'm grateful to you for capturing and posting. 

This is SO.  GOOD.  This is exactly what I was hoping they would do with Blondie.  Long may it continue. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx