gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:22:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161323 times)
KDS
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »

I wish they'd have included Hold on Dear Brother on the CD companion to the PBS show.  It might be my favorite song from that concert.

I didn't know that Leaving This Town was rehearsed.  I guess Funky Pretty was picked since it's more upbeat.  Frankly, I never understood why people make such a big deal about Funky Pretty.  

"Funky Pretty" is just different and an interesting mid-period piece, and a cool lead vocal trade-off. And it's one from a pretty small list of Blondie-related BB songs to work from. I'd say the live versions of the song from 1973 and 74 sounded better than the studio version.

While most anything other than SOS from "Holland" is going to be a pretty "deep" cut, I'd say "Leaving this Town" might be slightly *more* obscure than "Funky Pretty", and if they already had an aversion to doing these sorts of songs in the current shows, "Leaving this Town" is slower *and* longer (though the ending could be trimmed if needed). So while I'd love to hear it, I'm not surprised it never made it into a show.

I will agree that the In Concert version of Funky Pretty is much better than the studio cut, and the vocal trade offs are cool.  But, I just don't think the song itself is much to write home about.

They could've also trimmed the keyboard solo from Leaving This Town.  After the extended guitar solos on Wild Honey, I couldn't see the band doing more extended soloing (something that's a bit of a rarity at BB related shows). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »

I got the sense at the show I caught in October that maybe Blondie is getting a bit restless doing the same 2-3 songs. To have toured with the band for probably over 150 shows over the past few years and having only done four songs (and only 2-3 per show) has to be a bit on the boring side.

I thought it was cool that Brian had Blondie sing the bridge on "Surfer Girl" last year for a few shows, but I guess the idea was quickly dropped.

I suppose it's hard *not* to do at least SOS when Blondie is there. But I wouldn't mind "Sail Away" and "Wild Honey" being cleared out for something else. Even having him sing some other BB song he wasn't originally on would be interesting.

I don't expect them to bust out "Carry Me Home" or "It's a New Day" or anything (though they should feel free to do so!), but changing it up in any way is cool.

"Goin' On" and "Santa Ana Winds" would be my pick for the main setlist, and then I dunno, something new for Blondie. Just have him sing a Dennis song or something. "River Song" would be a dark horse pick that's unlikely but would be pretty amazing; I know that band would kick ass on that song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »

I got the sense at the show I caught in October that maybe Blondie is getting a bit restless doing the same 2-3 songs. To have toured with the band for probably over 150 shows over the past few years and having only done four songs (and only 2-3 per show) has to be a bit on the boring side.

I thought it was cool that Brian had Blondie sing the bridge on "Surfer Girl" last year for a few shows, but I guess the idea was quickly dropped.

I suppose it's hard *not* to do at least SOS when Blondie is there. But I wouldn't mind "Sail Away" and "Wild Honey" being cleared out for something else. Even having him sing some other BB song he wasn't originally on would be interesting.

I don't expect them to bust out "Carry Me Home" or "It's a New Day" or anything (though they should feel free to do so!), but changing it up in any way is cool.

"Goin' On" and "Santa Ana Winds" would be my pick for the main setlist, and then I dunno, something new for Blondie. Just have him sing a Dennis song or something. "River Song" would be a dark horse pick that's unlikely but would be pretty amazing; I know that band would kick ass on that song.

When I saw them in Baltimore last August, Blondie came out early in the set, and traded some lines of River Deep Mountain High with Paul Von Mertens.  That was pretty neat. 

Maybe give Blondie a chance with Darlin on shows where Darian isn't there.  I think he'd do a great job with It's About Time. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »

When I saw them in Baltimore last August, Blondie came out early in the set, and traded some lines of River Deep Mountain High with Paul Von Mertens.  That was pretty neat. 

Maybe give Blondie a chance with Darlin on shows where Darian isn't there.  I think he'd do a great job with It's About Time. 

With "Darlin'", they'd probably have to lower the key back to where Brian used to do it when he sang it at his solo shows. (Darian does it in the same key that Carl sang it in concert).

"It's About Time" would be interesting, though with Brian not having a hand in the writing and the setlist not leaning heavily on that sort of material, I wouldn't think it's too likely. I was never super into the studio version, but the live 1973 version of it on the MIC set is a thousand times better.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »

With "Darlin'", they'd probably have to lower the key back to where Brian used to do it when he sang it at his solo shows. (Darian does it in the same key that Carl sang it in concert).

"It's About Time" would be interesting, though with Brian not having a hand in the writing and the setlist not leaning heavily on that sort of material, I wouldn't think it's too likely. I was never super into the studio version, but the live 1973 version of it on the MIC set is a thousand times better.

How about The Trader?  Granted, another non Brian song. 

Speaking of setlist changes, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the early car songs get swapped out.  I'd take out LDC and Shut Down, and maybe replace them with Wendy or something else from the early days. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »

The closest anyone in Brian's band has come to "The Trader" is that Al's "Family and Friends" including Matt rehearsed the song in 2000 for possible inclusion, so that one seems like a sliver more likely than some others. I think Matt would sounds great on that one.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:36:30 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »

Carls songs are so underrated.... Trader, Long Promised Road, Angel Come Home, some of the best stuff on the albums they're on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:44:17 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »

I've always thought if Brian (and now with Al) could dig into a few Carl and Dennis songs, that would be great. Because nobody else is doing them at this stage. I can understand it might be difficult for Brian to do a lot of Carl and Dennis stuff.

Al's original mission statement for his "Family & Friends" band back in 1998 was to dig into a lot of those sorts of deep cuts. There were plans to do stuff like "Be Here in the Morning", and I could have totally envisioned them doing some Carl and Dennis stuff (and they did rehearse "The Trader"). But of course Al's band never got off the ground to the point of being able to do that.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »

Shame Busy Doin' Nothin' was dropped off
KDS
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »

I've always thought if Brian (and now with Al) could dig into a few Carl and Dennis songs, that would be great. Because nobody else is doing them at this stage. I can understand it might be difficult for Brian to do a lot of Carl and Dennis stuff.

Al's original mission statement for his "Family & Friends" band back in 1998 was to dig into a lot of those sorts of deep cuts. There were plans to do stuff like "Be Here in the Morning", and I could have totally envisioned them doing some Carl and Dennis stuff (and they did rehearse "The Trader"). But of course Al's band never got off the ground to the point of being able to do that.

That would be cool.  I know he had David Marks do Little Bird on the 2013 tour.  Perhaps give it to Blondie.   And we all know Darian can nail a Carl lead.  
KDS
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »

I think I read that Brian didn't like to sing that one, so it was replaced by Add Some Music.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »

That would be cool.  I know he had David Marks do Little Bird on the 2013 tour.  Perhaps give it to Blondie.   And we all know Darian can nail a Carl lead.  

Yeah i know this is a Brian "solo" tour, but come on, he has been on that since the 80s, so with Al and Blondie with him, if he's not gonna try it not, when? and who? since Mikes band aren't bothering covering Dennis or Carl songs (oh wow Mike, so much for feeling bad not saving your brothers from drugs, our lord our savior! but sure have some spot for SIP and Pisces huh, right onnnn make that ego shine beeybeeeeeee who cares of the BEACH BOYS legacy)
KDS
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »

Yeah i know this is a Brian "solo" tour, but come on, he has been on that since the 80s, so with Al and Blondie with him, if he's not gonna try it not, when? and who? since Mikes band aren't bothering covering Dennis or Carl songs (oh wow Mike, so much for feeling bad not saving your brothers from drugs, our lord our savior! but sure have some spot for SIP and Pisces huh, right onnnn make that ego shine beeybeeeeeee who cares of the BEACH BOYS legacy)

Brian really only starting touring as a solo artist in 1999. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »

I think I read that Brian didn't like to sing that one, so it was replaced by Add Some Music.

I think the reasoning given was it was too "wordy".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »

Brian really only starting touring as a solo artist in 1999. 

Haha well yeah technically, but you know what i mean
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »

Way back before this Pet Sounds monster tour got going, I suggested giving Blondie the lead on "Here Today" and I still think that would be a kick-ass move. That being said, I would absolutely HATE to see "Wild Honey" leave. That was hands down the highlight of the opening set every time I've seen Blondie with Brian.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2017, 02:18:47 PM »

What are the odds Brian finally does a Love You tour? i guess probably none, altho i remember reading here that some of his bandmates approved of it
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »

Hopefully never...I know, sorry...shots fired.  LOL
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »

It's probably in my top 3 Sad

I just wish there was an alternative reality where Good Time found its spot on Sunflower (hell replace it over Tears, i'd be the last to cry over that decision) and therefor My Diane made it on Love You.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:47:43 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
KDS
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2017, 05:27:14 AM »

Hopefully never...I know, sorry...shots fired.  LOL

I'm with you there.  That's one tour I probably wouldn't attend. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:59 AM »

Tomorrow I go out and buy a Beach Boys compilation for the hell of it. Tucked inside the CD booklet is a golden ticket. I, along with 5 others, have been selected to go to a private viewing of Brian Wilson performing Love You in LA on April 11 of this year.

You arrive at Brian's house, you get ushered into a living room with stacks of speakers, tables full of cake and steak (all you can eat), and there is Brian in his black leather recliner getting ready for this momentous concert. Everyone sits down and Brian proceeds to tell the story about Love You; he talks about recording the demos, about him writing the lyrics and thinking of all the instrumentation. He sits there munching on a vanilla ice cream cake while telling you how excited the other guys were when they heard the demos. He has the biggest smile on his face. He finally gets up and sits down in front of a moog connected to all 70 speakers in the room. But it's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Then, the air in the room hums with deep vibrations from the moog, the bass is so deep you can feel it in your chest, and the drums sound like they're tearing through spacetime itself. And Brian bellows a deep "hey!" to kick off 'Let Us Go On This Way'

As you sit there eating a mouth watering steak while listening to music made by god himself, you realize that from this point on your life will never be the same. You realize that Love You is the greatest collection of songs ever assembled in the history of music. And if this happened to even the most ardent hater of Love You, this experience would make them realize that Love You is a gift from god, the greatest synth-symphony ever created by man.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2017, 05:54:47 AM »

Tomorrow I go out and buy a Beach Boys compilation for the hell of it. Tucked inside the CD booklet is a golden ticket. I, along with 5 others, have been selected to go to a private viewing of Brian Wilson performing Love You in LA on April 11 of this year.

You arrive at Brian's house, you get ushered into a living room with stacks of speakers, tables full of cake and steak (all you can eat), and there is Brian in his black leather recliner getting ready for this momentous concert. Everyone sits down and Brian proceeds to tell the story about Love You; he talks about recording the demos, about him writing the lyrics and thinking of all the instrumentation. He sits there munching on a vanilla ice cream cake while telling you how excited the other guys were when they heard the demos. He has the biggest smile on his face. He finally gets up and sits down in front of a moog connected to all 70 speakers in the room. But it's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Then, the air in the room hums with deep vibrations from the moog, the bass is so deep you can feel it in your chest, and the drums sound like they're tearing through spacetime itself. And Brian bellows a deep "hey!" to kick off 'Let Us Go On This Way'

As you sit there eating a mouth watering steak while listening to music made by god himself, you realize that from this point on your life will never be the same. You realize that Love You is the greatest collection of songs ever assembled in the history of music. And if this happened to even the most ardent hater of Love You, this experience would make them realize that Love You is a gift from god, the greatest synth-symphony ever created by man.

I'd be thankful for the steak, and the rare opportunity to attend such an intimate performance.  And I think Brian's band might even be able to inject some life into some of the LY tracks, but I'd be patiently waiting to see if Brian does any other deep cuts after the LY portion of the show ends.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2017, 06:04:31 AM »

I'd be thankful for the steak, and the rare opportunity to attend such an intimate performance.  And I think Brian's band might even be able to inject some life into some of the LY tracks, but I'd be patiently waiting to see if Brian does any other deep cuts after the LY portion of the show ends.

The only scheduled aftershow entertainment is a few drinks during a viewing of Mike's Rock and Roll hall of fame speech.

In all seriousness, it's not everyone's cup of tea, I can totally get that. I really like BB85 and I think most would scoff at such an admission Grin to each their own.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:38 AM »

The only scheduled aftershow entertainment is a few drinks during a viewing of Mike's Rock and Roll hall of fame speech.

In all seriousness, it's not everyone's cup of tea, I can totally get that. I really like BB85 and I think most would scoff at such an admission Grin to each their own.

Actually, BB85 has really grown on me.  Having grown up during that 80s pop era probably helps.  But, I found myself listening to it quite a bit last summer.  In fact, it might be second only to TWGMTR in post Holland spins.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »

Count me in for the BW love you concert idea!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx