gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:39:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 162342 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »

I've added all the new dates, as well as a July 15th Italy show listed at the BBFC website. Can anyone confirm the city and venue for the July 13 Finland show? I was able to find all the others, but not that one.

There is also apparently a three night run in May *2018* in Nashville with the Symphony Orchestra, with Brian and Al (interestingly *not* billed as "Pet Sounds" shows for those who are convinced every show for the next decade will be a PS show).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:46:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2017, 06:45:40 AM »

The Finland concert takes place in Pori, PoriJazz festival, Kirjurinluoto outdoor arena. Wonderful place, I'm definitely going to be there!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

I've added all the new dates, as well as a July 15th Italy show listed at the BBFC website. Can anyone confirm the city and venue for the July 13 Finland show? I was able to find all the others, but not that one.

There is also apparently a three night run in May *2018* in Nashville with the Symphony Orchestra, with Brian and Al (interestingly *not* billed as "Pet Sounds" shows for those who are convinced every show for the next decade will be a PS show).

Sorry I didn't get back to you on that one and thanks to Jukka who did. There's also Wiener Stadhalle,Vienna on July 20th.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2017, 05:36:10 AM »

Newcastle Date - August 6th - Live from Times Square

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2017, 08:17:30 PM »

If Brian is still up for touring next year, it would be awesome to see the band celebrate the 30th anniversary of his first solo album.  I think it would work really well live though they could maybe play with the sequencing so that they still close with Love and Mercy for instance.  It might not be a sellout but I think it would satisfy audiences, both casual and hardcore.  They could call the tour "30 Years of Love and Mercy" or something along those lines.  Doubtful that it would happen but still I dream of it.
This NEEDS to happen! Would be amazing to hear those songs played on the natural instruments instead of synths. I say keep the tracks mostly in the order of the album, but kickoff with Night Time, fake ending with Rio Grande (how can you top that? you can't; so the band leaves the stage, and encores with Love and Mercy).

I would definitely buy a live album of BW 88 with his band playing the music without synths and Brian, Al, Matt and Blondie.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »

My daughter said she had a dream that Brian sang Let it Shine at the houston show. Course it's one of her favorite solo songs and is teaching herself how to play the chords on her keyboard

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »

Let it Shine (for Billy's family) Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »

Let it Shine would be an awesome addition to this show. I was blaring it as we left the garage from the Strathmore gig and lots of people were gettin' down on their way back to their car! LOL
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »

Maybe they wouldn't do the whole album but just the thought of the band doing Rio Grande live would be amazing.
Yes, it would be amazing. Just, won't happen. There is so much music by Brian that simply screams for a live rendition with organic instruments, that it never had. Instead we get Pet Sounds (and Barbara Ann, and Help Me Rhonda etc.) for the billionth time. Rio Grande, or any other of a hundred underrated gems, every one better than AT LEAST Barbara Ann? Not once.   
All that great music out there, confined to a suboptimal album release or not even that. This is killing art in favour of business.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »

Added more dates to the top post based on listings from the BW website. As always, please let me know if anything needs to be corrected or if there are any more dates to add.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »

edit. Misread headline. Tongue
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:01:59 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »

Maybe they wouldn't do the whole album but just the thought of the band doing Rio Grande live would be amazing.
Yes, it would be amazing. Just, won't happen. There is so much music by Brian that simply screams for a live rendition with organic instruments, that it never had. Instead we get Pet Sounds (and Barbara Ann, and Help Me Rhonda etc.) for the billionth time. Rio Grande, or any other of a hundred underrated gems, every one better than AT LEAST Barbara Ann? Not once.   
All that great music out there, confined to a suboptimal album release or not even that. This is killing art in favour of business.
Yes it is; and it reminds me again, that the general public thinks Brian and the Beach Boys are only Pet Sounds and the Endless Summer album.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »

Can't wait for it to start! Wondering if there will be some setlist changes...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »

I hope not, i mean yes, but like, i hope not as in i hope he doesn't drop off Wake The World or stuff like Add Some Music

This is my first time seeing the Beach Boys, i wouldn't want to see Mike's show, i couldn't get around the 2012 reunion cause they were always somewhere i was not and we all know it was cut short, i almost got to the London show but i couldn't due to trips i had to do, which is heartbreaking considering they did Summer's Gone ...

So now i get to see Brian with Al and Blondie, doing Pet Sounds in full and hits and rarities! i couldn't wish for better, well i could: with a bit more Love You songs, they dropped Honkey since, havn't they? is All This Is That still a thing too? either way, it's gonna be very emotional!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »

Hoping that there's some stuff added.

KDS
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »

I hope not, i mean yes, but like, i hope not as in i hope he doesn't drop off Wake The World or stuff like Add Some Music

This is my first time seeing the Beach Boys, i wouldn't want to see Mike's show, i couldn't get around the 2012 reunion cause they were always somewhere i was not and we all know it was cut short, i almost got to the London show but i couldn't due to trips i had to do, which is heartbreaking considering they did Summer's Gone ...

So now i get to see Brian with Al and Blondie, doing Pet Sounds in full and hits and rarities! i couldn't wish for better, well i could: with a bit more Love You songs, they dropped Honkey since, havn't they? is All This Is That still a thing too? either way, it's gonna be very emotional!

I could be wrong, but I don't think Brian's ever done All This Is That as a solo artist. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »

No. I did not know that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »

Yes, "Honkin' was dropped very quickly from the setlist. By my rough count, they did around 100 shows last year and "Honkin' Down the Highway" was only performed NINE times. For whatever reason (I'm guessing they felt it wasn't being too warmly received), they didn't seem that keen on it even though the hardcore fans ate it up.

As for "All This Is That", the only Brian-related performances (outside of vintage BB shows from the 70s) were on the 2012 reunion tour. Brian has never done the song solo. As I've often said, if you look at Brian's setlists, he *very rarely* does songs that he didn't write or co-write, especially if you factor out the odd oldie/cover. Even most of the Al and Blondie-sung songs are written or co-written by Brian. There are a few exceptions like "California Saga" and the rare cases of doing something like "Forever." But as a general rule, Brian's shows rarely feature Beach Boys songs that were written without Brian's involvement, which is why "All This Is That" is unlikely.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »

Dates in Frankfurt (July 19th) Dublin (July 25th) and Finland (July 13th) have also been added.
I'll be in Frankfurt. 3D Who else?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »

Hoping that there's some stuff added.

Haha yeah that's the best case scenario! was that how it went in his tours before?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Brian's ever done All This Is That as a solo artist.  

Yes, "Honkin' was dropped very quickly from the setlist. By my rough count, they did around 100 shows last year and "Honkin' Down the Highway" was only performed NINE times. For whatever reason (I'm guessing they felt it wasn't being too warmly received), they didn't seem that keen on it even though the hardcore fans ate it up.

As for "All This Is That", the only Brian-related performances (outside of vintage BB shows from the 70s) were on the 2012 reunion tour. Brian has never done the song solo. As I've often said, if you look at Brian's setlists, he *very rarely* does songs that he didn't write or co-write, especially if you factor out the odd oldie/cover. Even most of the Al and Blondie-sung songs are written or co-written by Brian. There are a few exceptions like "California Saga" and the rare cases of doing something like "Forever." But as a general rule, Brian's shows rarely feature Beach Boys songs that were written without Brian's involvement, which is why "All This Is That" is unlikely.

You guys are right for All This Is That, and i'm aware Brian does the stuff he writes and that's all cool, it's just that, i don't know i felt since this "solo" tour features Al and Blondie i figure maybe All This Is That would be thrown in since it was already for the 50th reunion, figured there was a chance for it to happen with their set for more "rarities" songs but, yehhh

Real unfortunate for Honkey, altho ultimately it's not a fav of Love You but since that's like the only one they play.. i hope Wake The World got the love it deserves and that it stays!!! i'll be devastated if i'm missing that on the Seattle show... but hey maybe he'll have some surprise, i mean who thought he would bring this one out and make it a classic of his setlists now right?

No. I did not know that.

Well, you do now sir! it's been told everywhere, even by Mike Love himself in his new book i believe Wink
i mean a 70something shows for the reunion comeback tour of the biggest band of america? yeah we've seen better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:30:51 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »

Could we just say they signed for 70 plus shows, did them all, and did not take up offers of other opportunities please?

(Brian also did not 'leave the tour' in June 2012 as some stories still state today.)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2017, 09:20:54 PM »

Could we just say they signed for 70 plus shows, did them all, and did not take up offers of other opportunities please?

(Brian also did not 'leave the tour' in June 2012 as some stories still state today.)

I don't think it's inflammatory at all to say the tour was cut short. I think we all understand that this refers to what could have been, and doesn't mean they literally cancelled agreed-upon scheduled dates.

I don't understand the purpose of being so adamant about not pointing out the epic clusterf**k that was the end of the tour in terms of both how and when it ended. It's not a big hot button topic anymore, I think we're all over that disappointment and realize why it ended. But it doesn't mean we have to tow Mike's lame "set end date" excuse.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »

So 'alternative facts' are ok here now?

It was a CF ending agreed.

Mikes "lame" set end date excuse is catching BTW.

'....and insists the tour ended at the time all members had agreed on.' (Brian Wilson)

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=829066

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:41:43 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »

Brian has for several years now been giving essentially an "I burned the Smile tapes" answer to questions about C50, and I don't blame him. After that LA Times piece in 2012, he clearly had *no* interest in rehashing the C50 topic again. We all KNOW Brian wanted to continue the reunion, and even saying the tour ended when it was scheduled to doesn't negate that.

This is all semantics, and nobody else even broached the subject of hashing this tired subject out again until a poster up above innocently mentioned that they didn't get a chance to see C50 because the tour wasn't longer. One fan said up above he felt the tour was cut short, and by one definition (e.g. this fan may have been able to see the band had the tour been extended), it's certainly true. And *nobody* jumped on that post and started bashing Mike for not doing more dates, etc. Instead, it was one "incredulous" post trying to pull out that one little bit in that poster's comments to conspicuously defend Mike from legit complaints that he essentially quit the band in late 2012 and went back to his own thing.

Brian is correct in his statement that the tour ended at the previously agreed-upon date that they all signed contracts for. Brian has also said that he wanted the tour to continue on past those agreed-upon dates.

Again, NOBODY has EVER claimed any contracts were broken, or any promises were broken, or any agreed-upon dates were canceled.

Brian's 2012 letter to the LA Times was pretty clear. No dates were canceled. He wanted to do more. Very simple concept. Mike didn't break any contracts. But he was the *sole* reason (by all accounts including his own) that they didn't continue the tour.

The complaint back in 2012 which is still *just as valid* today is that Mike *chose* to leave a willing Brian and Al (and Dave and Bruce would have agreed as well), who wanted to continue the reunion. This is not a complicated concept. Mike didn't end the party early. He simply chose to not let the party continue past the very conservative, minimal amount of time the party was originally able to be scheduled for.

But no, I think it's silly to have to avoid brevity in stating the tour was cut short when we ALL know what we're talking about (e.g. *not* that anybody canceled scheduled tour dates) and instead use the ridiculously cumbersome, Mike-absolving verbiage such as "did not take up offers for other opportunities."

Let's also be clear: We all understand how the band has splintered and how the "licensed" band works and all of that, and we all know why logistically/functionally/politically these guys can't make it work to stay together as one unit. But I think it's short-sighted and disrespectful to the entire band's legacy to treat the 2012 reunion *in concept* as if it was some sort of one-time, crazy anomaly, as if it was that David Lee Roth-Sammy Hagar joint tour from some years back, or that "Yes" tour where they had members from all the 27 different lineups on stage. The Beach Boys *are* that band that was on stage in 2012, and at the end of the day Mike walked; he quit *THE* band to go back to *A* band that uses the name. He has every legal right to do so, but as someone who (obviously) lived through that period and who has read and absorbed every bit about C50 possible, I refuse to let history be rewritten to leave out the fact that Mike Love essentially quit The Beach Boys in 2012, and apparently by his own admission mostly because he couldn't stand Brian's wife.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:21:33 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »

At least in five years, nobody will be complaining about the PS50 Tour being cut short.

Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx