gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:25:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 162708 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »

Added two more UK dates in August to the top post.

It's kinda annoys me that he's coming back to UK with Pet Sounds after having advertised the 2016 dates as the "last PS performances" ever.
And the same was in 2007.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »

Maybe, but I'm just happy he's still out there. Hell, he could do "Chug-A-Lug" for 2 hours straight and I'd be happy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

Maybe, but I'm just happy he's still out there. Hell, he could do "Chug-A-Lug" for 2 hours straight and I'd be happy.

Sure, THAT would be awesome!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

As long as it's not Cuckoo Clock.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
T2458
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »

I'm flabbergasted that the management have the audacity to continue with the 'last ever' nonsense.  If they want to play the complete Pet Sounds at every concert I'd be happy but please do not tell me I've been to 3 separate last performances and then come around for another go the next year.  It's taking the P...

It was clear to me that BW has had enough of it himself with the awful lyric mangling and what seems to be a Dylan/Sinatra approach to not singing some of the songs.

I went to the Palladium, Southend and Royal Albert Hall last year (Brilliant apart from Southend!) so I guess they won't appear at those venues again in order to honour the 'last ever' publicity.  They haven't performed Pet Sounds at my local pub yet so I'm waiting for that day(sic) but unless I cave in (again) that will be the next last time I pay lots of money to see yet another 'last ever' concert.

Why can't we have a Sunflower or Friends or Love You or Holland or Today special?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »

Why can't we have a Sunflower or Friends or Love You or Holland or Today special?

Because they would not sell-out a phone booth.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »

"Today" could be done...and maybe "Sunflower"...but they couldn't be marketed the same way Pet Sounds can be. There would be no purpose in mentioning it in the advertising, Brian and the band would just have to "do it".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »

Agreed...good word of mouth will work as well as advertising

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »

There is never enough Pet Sounds!

Love the new profile Billy! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »

I knew you'd get a kick out of it

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »

I knew you'd get a kick out of it

The results are in. Profile of the Year!  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »

I aim to please

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »

I had to do a double take, for a second there I thought the real deal was back Computer Smash! hahaha

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »

Yeah I was worried the big guy would start claiming I am Melinda again.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »

You're not?!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »

LOL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »

Yeah, not to be negative (oh, who am I kidding?), but those albums have virtually no name recognition whatsoever. Pet Sounds has tremendous cache not only with Beach Boys fans and 60s music fans in general, but music fans of pretty much every generation. Hipsters of every stripe have embraced Pet Sounds. Music fans in general can recognize "The [magazine] #[1 or 2] album of all time!" and shell out $50, $100, $150, whatever. And new albums--TLOS, for example--can be marketed similarly easily as the new work of this great genius (who gave us Pet Sounds).

But those other albums, most people just don't know them. Even Today!, which at least has classics, isn't necessarily known as a great album outside of Beach Boys fans. Those other albums, most people have never heard of them and know few to none of the songs on them. The tours would do terrible business. I mean, maybe they could play fewer shows in smaller venues and charge even more for tickets, hoping that a few message boards' worth of lunatics would make up for the casual fans. But that just doesn't seem realistic. I think we'd be lucky to get non-album specific shows that included even a couple more songs from those albums, unfortunately.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »

That's depressing. True, but depressing.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »

LOL LOL LOL   ...Wilsonomics??   LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 06:07:37 PM »

Yeah, as opposed to Thuganomics LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2017, 04:41:14 AM »

"Hi there. I am Billy. I am Smiley Smile's  resident left-wing ambassador. A snowflake if you will."

Take that TRBB! LOL

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2017, 04:55:40 AM »

I had to do a double take, for a second there I thought the real deal was back Computer Smash! hahaha

Me too!  Very funny!

As for Brian performing some other album - I know it isn't going to happen but SMiLE would have been nice - in what would have been its 50th anniversary had it been released in 1967. We haven't heard it live before with Al (and for that matter Matt).
KDS
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »

Yeah, not to be negative (oh, who am I kidding?), but those albums have virtually no name recognition whatsoever. Pet Sounds has tremendous cache not only with Beach Boys fans and 60s music fans in general, but music fans of pretty much every generation. Hipsters of every stripe have embraced Pet Sounds. Music fans in general can recognize "The [magazine] #[1 or 2] album of all time!" and shell out $50, $100, $150, whatever. And new albums--TLOS, for example--can be marketed similarly easily as the new work of this great genius (who gave us Pet Sounds).

But those other albums, most people just don't know them. Even Today!, which at least has classics, isn't necessarily known as a great album outside of Beach Boys fans. Those other albums, most people have never heard of them and know few to none of the songs on them. The tours would do terrible business. I mean, maybe they could play fewer shows in smaller venues and charge even more for tickets, hoping that a few message boards' worth of lunatics would make up for the casual fans. But that just doesn't seem realistic. I think we'd be lucky to get non-album specific shows that included even a couple more songs from those albums, unfortunately.

Sad but true.  Outside of BB fans, the songs are well known, but not so much the albums. 

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »

Me too!  Very funny!

As for Brian performing some other album - I know it isn't going to happen but SMiLE would have been nice - in what would have been its 50th anniversary had it been released in 1967. We haven't heard it live before with Al (and for that matter Matt).

Another SMiLE tour is about the last interesting thing I think Brian & Al can do to fill seats. The "Pet Sounds" cash cow is going to shrivel up if they keep pulling this "final performance" bullshit in the same cities. But I would be incredibly excited by a SMiLE tour, since I was 11 years old and wouldn't have known Brian Wilson if he were my neighbor at the time.  LOL
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »

Me too!  Very funny!

Another SMiLE tour is about the last interesting thing I think Brian & Al can do to fill seats. The "Pet Sounds" cash cow is going to shrivel up if they keep pulling this "final performance" bullshit in the same cities. But I would be incredibly excited by a SMiLE tour, since I was 11 years old and wouldn't have known Brian Wilson if he were my neighbor at the time.  LOL

I wish they'd at least do a mini-suite  during the show as a nod to that 50th anniversary-that-isn't-really.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx