gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:59:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are we there yet?: on the road with Beach Boy Brian Wilson  (Read 4276 times)
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »

Forgive me if this has already been posted, I didn't see it anywhere.  A substantial piece regarding the current Pet Sounds tour in the Guardian, with snippets of new interviews (mostly Brian on muted form, sadly) and a nice extract from the autobiography:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/08/are-we-there-yet-on-road-beach-boy-brian-wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »

Yeah I remember deriding this one pretty bad...couldn't even get Jerry Weiss's name right.

Funny.it's a "new" piece, but I remember reading this elsewhere a few months ago....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:26:59 AM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »

A pretty good article.  This seems like a much more account of who Brian Wilson is today.  I wondered why he goes through all the rigors of a long tour, which he doesn't seem to enjoy.  It doesn't seem like he enjoys interacting with the fans or being on stage.  It's all about the money.     
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »

A pretty good article.  This seems like a much more account of who Brian Wilson is today.  I wondered why he goes through all the rigors of a long tour, which he doesn't seem to enjoy.  It doesn't seem like he enjoys interacting with the fans or being on stage.  It's all about the money.     

And you know this...how? 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »

In the music business, it's always about the money.   Did you get the impression from the article that BW enjoys traveling around at the pace described, being on stage and meeting the people who pay extra for the backstage meet and greets?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »

He has his good days and his bad days. However, with Brian, money has always been a secondary consideration.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »

Absolute rubbish. A steaming Trump like generalisation.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »

I found this fascinating. Very blunt, sad, depressing and REAL. Also I think Brian just didn't dig this dude haha.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:28:43 PM »

He has his good days and his bad days. However, with Brian, money has always been a secondary consideration.

With Brian, yes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:29:13 PM by kreen » Logged
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 07:32:13 PM »

i'll say something that might get me some stick but,

what's even the point of interviewing BW these days?

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »

i'll say something that might get me some stick but,

what's even the point of interviewing BW these days?

To give us something new to argue about

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »

Brian's a different animal. The interviewers are all the same. But I don't really know if there is a solution, someone out there that could 'crack the code' so to speak, and get Brian really talking. I learned a few things from this article, but the best two media pieces in recent years IMO are the last Rolling Stone interview, and the Smiley Smile Board Brian Q&A. Looking forward to reading the autobiography
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »

Absolute rubbish. A steaming Trump like generalisation.

I don't think so.  That article is a genuine peek behind the curtain at what BW is like, it's not rubbish.  It's quite consistent with the comments Jeff Beck made.  All performers are concerned about the money.  This is Brian's last big tour, cashing in on Pet Sounds.  There's nothing wrong with going for the money.   
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »

That article is a genuine peek behind the curtain at what BW is like,

On that particular day.

The Rolling Stone interview caught him in a much better mood where he was talking about not retiring, and continuing to perform because at his age, it's the best thing for him as opposed to sitting around thinking "I don't want to be 74 years old".

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »

The article is interesting, but they made a big mistake in one of the captions of the pictures.  The eighth picture down identifies Brian but it's Carl! 

I did find the article a good read, though. 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 10:36:16 PM »

Brian is worth over 300 million dollars.. he doesnt need the money.. But i bet he is tired from all the touring thats for sure.. That does worry me..!!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »

Interesting the article says 70 million. I wonder were he got that figure from..??
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 06:20:40 AM »

I found this fascinating. Very blunt, sad, depressing and REAL. Also I think Brian just didn't dig this dude haha.
I don't dig the dude either. His oh so modern melancholy style, his dissing of Brian's Band (!!!), his focusing on irrelevance, his seeming ingrained ignorance of the well-known social side effects of Brian's condition (he seems always surprised by that). How such a bit o' sunshine was allowed to hang around Brian for an extended period beats me. Brian and Melinda are far too lenient.
About a comment on this thread: as much as I am a fan of both, I had to accept that expecting Brian Wilson to be pals with Jeff Beck was a pipe dream. Well, nobody is perfect.

P.S.
Ah. Was forgetting. REISS. Jerry REISS. That's the article in a nutshell. It's like I, after all the time I have spent here, called Billy "Willy". What would you think of me? So there.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:42:41 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »

I don't dig the dude either. His oh so modern melancholy style, his dissing of Brian's Band (!!!), his focusing on irrelevance, his seeming ingrained ignorance of the well-known social side effects of Brian's condition (he seems always surprised by that). How such a bit o' sunshine was allowed to hang around Brian for an extended period beats me. Brian and Melinda are far too lenient.
About a comment on this thread: as much as I am a fan of both, I had to accept that expecting Brian Wilson to be pals with Jeff Beck was a pipe dream. Well, nobody is perfect.

P.S.
Ah. Was forgetting. REISS. Jerry REISS. That's the article in a nutshell. It's like I, after all the time I have spent here, called Billy "Willy". What would you think of me? So there.

+1

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx