gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:37:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIU Vocals  (Read 2761 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »

So I know that Carl and Dennis make few appearances on MIU, so were all the vocals supplied by Brian, Al, and Mike or where there other vocalists?
Bill Ed
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:52:13 PM »

That's an interesting question, but I'm afraid I can't provide you an answer.  It could be that no one in our community can. It could be that such questions are of little interest to the folks who post here.  With the exception of a subset of people who obsess over the possibilities/permutations of "Smile", relatively little attention is being paid to the music.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:35:44 PM »

The video for "Mike Come Back to L.A." shows various band members (Billy Hinsche or Bobby Figueroa, I forget which, I think Billy) singing along.  Granted, that was an "all hands on deck" kind of singalong but it's likely that a couple of the sidemen did uncredited vocals.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »

It has been awhile since I watched that "Our Team" documentary, but I recall that Rocky Pamplin is one of the people seen (presumably) recording backing vocals during "Mike Come Back to the LA", and my recollection is that he is shown singing the prominent "come back home" part of those backing vocals on presumably the chorus of the song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »

Dennis is clearly audible on "Hey Little Tomboy" (and of course "My Diane"), but not sure where I can hear him elsewhere. Sounds a lot like Carl in parts of "Wontcha Come Out Tonight".

But like "Sail On Sailor" and others before and after MIU, I suspect we're hearing lots of non-BB voices in the mix.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:51:36 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »

Carl is also very audible on bg vocals for Peggy Sue... which could have been cut at MIU or during sweetening sessions the following year.  These backgrounds are not present on the '76 15 Big Ones version of the song.  I also hear him on She's Got Rhythm.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »

Peggy Sue and its Christmas companion have Al and Carl all over the harmonies. I'm guessing Ron Altbach is on the album as well.
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 12:33:45 PM »

So I know that Carl and Dennis make few appearances on MIU, so were all the vocals supplied by Brian, Al, and Mike or where there other vocalists?

I'm usually pretty good at picking out the core 6 Beach Boy vocalists in the mix, but this album, more than any, has me saying "Who the heck is that singing?"

Like who's doing the weird accented double-tracked "come come-a come-a come out come out tonight" in the intro to Wontcha Come Out Tonight? I'm guessing Al and/or Brian?   Or at 01:48 the gently falsetto "Little Girl won't you come"
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

To me that's clearly Al on the come come come out tonight part, though his voice is a bit distorted. And Brian I think on the other part
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »

To me that's clearly Al on the come come come out tonight part, though his voice is a bit distorted. And Brian I think on the other part

That is correct to the best of my knowledge

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 07:55:41 AM »

I'm usually pretty good at picking out the core 6 Beach Boy vocalists in the mix, but this album, more than any, has me saying "Who the heck is that singing?"

Like who's doing the weird accented double-tracked "come come-a come-a come out come out tonight" in the intro to Wontcha Come Out Tonight? I'm guessing Al and/or Brian?   Or at 01:48 the gently falsetto "Little Girl won't you come"

I think Pamplin might be one of the "off" voices on some of those tracks.

Here's a quick screencap from YouTube of the "Mike Come Back to LA" segment from the "Our Team" documentary where Pamplin is seen doing backing vocals along Brian and others (I think Billy Hinsche and Al are shown in this segment as well). No, it's not Huey Lewis.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:05:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 02:03:49 PM »

He looks like Bert from Sesame Street in the clip

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx