gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:42:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The two versions of "Our Prayer"  (Read 2510 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

There is an "Our Prayer" session (taped September 19th, 1966) that was in the key of #C.

The "Our Prayer" we are all familiar with is in the key of #D (taped October 4th, 1966)... Does anyone know why Brian raised "Our Prayer" a tone higher than what was worked on a month before? My theory suggests that the early version of "Our Prayer" was meant to be the intro to the album (as stated on tape) that lead into "Heroes and Villains" (also in the key of #C). But when "Good Vibrations" was on its way to being released as a single, Brian decided to change "Our Prayer" so it could lead into "Good Vibrations", the new opener for the album. That's just me thinking right off the bat. What do you folks think?
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »

OMP,
think you're right. I also believe that Prayer followed by GV would open the album, cause let's not forger BW wanted to make greatest POP album of all time, and it would have been, I believe, that way had he found the way to finish it!
But if he had finished it, what would we all be talking about for the last cc 50 years??  Grin

I personally love the opening with Prayer followed with Gee and H&V, but in a slightly trippier way than what we have on TSS!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:21:34 AM »

The Oct Prayer also sounds good leading into Worms, which - coincidentally? - is the first track listed on the December list given to Capital.
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »

I Made my mix of smile where DYLW is the first and I made a very good transition between our prayer and DYLW
leetwall97
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »

There is an "Our Prayer" session (taped September 19th, 1966) that was in the key of #C.

The "Our Prayer" we are all familiar with is in the key of #D (taped October 4th, 1966)... Does anyone know why Brian raised "Our Prayer" a tone higher than what was worked on a month before? My theory suggests that the early version of "Our Prayer" was meant to be the intro to the album (as stated on tape) that lead into "Heroes and Villains" (also in the key of #C). But when "Good Vibrations" was on its way to being released as a single, Brian decided to change "Our Prayer" so it could lead into "Good Vibrations", the new opener for the album. That's just me thinking right off the bat. What do you folks think?

What an incredible observation Ron! I never thought of that. I just ignorantly assumed the C# was a mistake. So the Progression of the original intro to Smile is C#m to G#. Fascinating. The question is, would it have been for H&V or Wonderful? I'll arrange a completed version of this intro with both songs proceeding it and post it later today in a video!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:45:33 AM by leetwall97 » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »

Or maybe Brian liked the sound of it a step higher, or it just better suited the vocal range of one of the group. 

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »

What an incredible observation Ron! I never thought of that. I just ignorantly assumed the C# was a mistake. So the Progression of the original intro to Smile is C#m to G#. Fascinating. The question is, would it have been for H&V or Wonderful? I'll arrange a completed version of this intro with both songs proceeding it and post it later today in a video!

Both GV and Wonderful are mentioned while taping the revised version (October 4th session)..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:50:12 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »

Here's the video I made
https://vimeo.com/186107518

There's 2 tests in the Video. One version leads into Wonderful while the other version leads into Heroes and Villains.
Let's figure out which edit sounds better! I think Wonderful is the best fit after it.

Both GV and Wonderful are mentioned while taping the revised version (October 4th session)..

Yeah that's right! And both of those tracks are mentioned by Mike!

"Should be doin' Good Vibrations anyway"
1:44

"When we doin' Won-da-ful?"
5:53

I hypothesize that during the September session, Brian laid out the Intro on the Piano and told / showed the guys it introduced most likely / probably Wonderful. Brian probably sat around with it for awhile, while finishing the Good Vibrations single and realizes it's potential as a marketable song. He then rearranges Smile to begin with Good Vibrations. Basically, he changed the key of the Album Intro to D#m to fit Good Vibrations. He brought the boys back into the studio, showed them the new version on the piano explaining that the Album Intro will lead into Good Vibrations instead.

I can't really tell what Mike says at the 1:44 mark in the beginning, but he mentions Good Vibes. He could be mentioning how the new Intro works better with Good Vibrations anyway. Near the end, Mike asks Brian when they're going to record Wonderful now that it's out of the loop. I find that tidbit interesting, it shows that Mike was behind finishing the album contrary to popular belief.

This all could be true, however, maybe Mike was just joking how they should still be working on Good Vibes. It was the longest time they ever spent on a record after all. Gotta take everything with a grain of salt. But, this does reveal that the Band's minds were centered on Good Vibes during this time frame.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:16:43 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 01:43:34 AM »

After changing Our Prayer's key and recording a different "intro to HV" track, I don't think Brian still had any intention of opening SMiLE with Heroes and Villains
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx