gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:20:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB group/solo albums have \  (Read 3067 times)
Scaroline No
« on: October 07, 2016, 06:20:53 AM »

After spending a bit of time perusing this board and contributing here and there, I thought maybe it was time I posted a new topic.  Not gonna do a lengthy intro of myself or anything, but as a newbie to BB fandom, I’m learning a lot very quickly, having jumped down this rabbit hole  LOL

I haven’t gotten through all of the albums yet. I’m going in order... just starting 15 Big Ones… whoo boy. Reserving judgement until I’ve spent a bit more time with it. But that got me thinking about how I listen to music, and how albums can sort of get better or worse over time, at least for me.

Sometimes I love an album immediately from the first listen, but then it wears out quickly (BB Party! I'm coughing in your general direction.)

Some others have taken much longer to get into, but then suddenly they just "clicked" and now I hold them in the highest regard (Wild Honey, I’m so sorry we got off on the wrong foot!)

I'm curious about the albums, or even the songs, that have changed for you over time.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:31:05 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »

Hi SCZ. Good idea for a first topic!

The album that gave me the most trouble to start with but has since become a favourite is Love You. Friends and So Tough are similar cases in point, thanks to SWD's study video and an "alternate" version, respectively. All three "conversions" are thanks to this forum!

The one you're listening to now is another matter entirely. I don't think I'll ever wholly come to terms with 15 Big Ones----bits and pieces, yes, but not all of it...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »

Looking Back With Love, obviously, has grown on me over time. I burned the first copy I had, but subsequent copies were disposed of less and less violently until I actually started liking it.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »

Jumping in on the album you're digesting right now, at first I didn't care at all about Palisades Park but after awhile I realized that it was actually an awesome, fun, and really creative cover.

IMHO 15BO didn't really miss by that much, it just had a section in the middle of it that needed to be surgically removed and replaced with their outtakes from those sessions (Sea Cruise, and an awesome and sorta creepy Mony Mony, for example).  Not sure why they made some of the choices they did there, but I am certain that they regretted it.

This might be an obvious one, but Smiley Smile took some time for me to get into, there is a lot of invisible bitterness in that album.  After awhile I started to really like the weird and very original pitchshift stuff and other production things they messed around with, and from there it kept growing on me.
Scaroline No
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »

Jumping in on the album you're digesting right now, at first I didn't care at all about Palisades Park but after awhile I realized that it was actually an awesome, fun, and really creative cover.

IMHO 15BO didn't really miss by that much, it just had a section in the middle of it that needed to be surgically removed and replaced with their outtakes from those sessions (Sea Cruise, and an awesome and sorta creepy Mony Mony, for example).  Not sure why they made some of the choices they did there, but I am certain that they regretted it.

This might be an obvious one, but Smiley Smile took some time for me to get into, there is a lot of invisible bitterness in that album.  After awhile I started to really like the weird and very original pitchshift stuff and other production things they messed around with, and from there it kept growing on me.

Regarding Palisades Park, it wasn't hate on first listen, I can see it growing on me after awhile. My general feeling about 15 BO at this moment in time can, hilariously, be summed up in a couple of lines from It's Ok... "Gotta go to it. Gonna go through it"  LOL

I loved Smiley Smile from the first time I heard it, though I can understand why anyone might have a tough time with it. I actually think it helped me loosen up an art project I've been working on.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:17:14 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »

The album that gave me the most trouble to start with but has since become a favourite is Love You. Friends and So Tough are similar cases in point, thanks to SWD's study video and an "alternate" version, respectively. All three "conversions" are thanks to this forum!

I'm SO looking forward to Love You! And not just because that means I'll be done with 15 BO  LOL Just what I've heard about it seems like it might really be up my alley.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »

Figured with new WH set, I'd like the album tad better - I didn't. Friends - OK now but the dullfest tracks still stay the dullfest tracks. Carl's albums - not that bad than before. Dislike SIP, used to like. Ditto 15 Big Ones & 85 (except the usual Al-written/ sung suspects).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »

Lucky Old Sun, Looking Back With Love, Gershwin Album, Unleash The Love, and MIU all took some time to grow on me. These were albums I hated at first listen, but grew to enjoy, all to certain extents.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:06:48 PM »

Agreed Nate!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »

BB85 has grown on it a lot.   
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »

For years I disliked the BB85 album, but somehow along the way I began to like it very much. I look forward to popping it on now. I think it was the 80s sounding production that originally turned me off. I'm ok with it now.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 05:29:35 AM »

For years I disliked the BB85 album, but somehow along the way I began to like it very much. I look forward to popping it on now. I think it was the 80s sounding production that originally turned me off. I'm ok with it now.

I've come around again on 80s pop as I've gotten older.   It's the music of my childhood, and I liked it a bit then.   I checked out on it as I got into classic rock and heavy metal in my teens and 20s, but in my 30s, have come to appreciate it again. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx