gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:15:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unusual Pronunciations and Accents in BB Songs  (Read 6482 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »

All the BBs do have a California accent, and I suspect that accent is changing with the generations (like the old Noo-Yawk accent is disappearing). I'm from the eastern US, so I can definitely hear a California accent with the BBs (or maybe it's just a western accent). Some examples:

"I miss my pay-ad and the places I've known..." "Caehlifornia..." (Something about the vowel sounds. Being from the east, I'd say pad and California with a flat A.)
"I wish they all could be California grrrrrrrls..." "Surrrrfin'" (over-exaggerated R)
There's also something they do (and Carl does in particular) with Ls. Very...distinctively pronounced?

Clearly I'm not a linguist. I can't quite explain what I'm talking about. But as an American, you listen to them and you know they're from west of the Rockies.  I think their pronunciations really added to their appeal as makers of the "California sound."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »

I'm reminded of something runnersdialzero had as his signature at one time. Regrettably I can't locate it right now. Something about Alan's pronunciation of a word. ("Sometimes I'm up all night thinking about this.")    

Got it. It was in Ovi's signature:

Quote from: runnersdialzero on April 06, 2014, 07:41:45 AM
Right, I don't like how Al says "vheyjtibles". Is that a Californian thing? Sometimes I'm up all night thinking about this.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:23:58 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »

Al was born in Ohio and grew up there and in upstate New York before moving to California when he was about 10 years old.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »

All the BBs do have a California accent, and I suspect that accent is changing with the generations (like the old Noo-Yawk accent is disappearing). I'm from the eastern US, so I can definitely hear a California accent with the BBs (or maybe it's just a western accent). Some examples:

"I miss my pay-ad and the places I've known..." "Caehlifornia..." (Something about the vowel sounds. Being from the east, I'd say pad and California with a flat A.)
"I wish they all could be California grrrrrrrls..." "Surrrrfin'" (over-exaggerated R)
There's also something they do (and Carl does in particular) with Ls. Very...distinctively pronounced?

Clearly I'm not a linguist. I can't quite explain what I'm talking about. But as an American, you listen to them and you know they're from west of the Rockies.  I think their pronunciations really added to their appeal as makers of the "California sound."
Thank you, Amy. This'll do.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »

Al was born in Ohio and grew up there and in upstate New York before moving to California when he was about 10 years old.
Didn't know he lived in New York b4 going to Cali. Where did you read it?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 06:44:14 AM »

The thing with a "California Accent" is that a lot of people from California don't think they have one. I'm sure there's something experts in those fields could point to as to why people in CA think they don't have an accent. There are probably some rather flattened, non-accented things going on.

But, as someone who has lived in California my entire life and who for a time had a job that required talking to people all over the country and all over the world on the phone, people in California can and do have a "California accent." Though it's not always an accent and is sometimes word usage or vocabulary (referring to an organization or group of people as "you guys" is apparently one "California" example), people from other regions can hear it. Now, to be fair, I've talked to people from the Midwest who think I have a "California" accent who think they *don't* have any accent, even when they have a prominent Wisconsin-ish sort of accent, that "sort of Canadian" but mixed with Midwest sort of accent.

I do think the BBs occasionally used some slightly odd accents that weren't *always* down to just being Californian. I think in some cases their own accent was clashing with how they learned to sing from listening to records of other singers with different accents.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »

The thing with a "California Accent" is that a lot of people from California don't think they have one. I'm sure there's something experts in those fields could point to as to why people in CA think they don't have an accent. There are probably some rather flattened, non-accented things going on.

But, as someone who has lived in California my entire life and who for a time had a job that required talking to people all over the country and all over the world on the phone, people in California can and do have a "California accent." Though it's not always an accent and is sometimes word usage or vocabulary (referring to an organization or group of people as "you guys" is apparently one "California" example), people from other regions can hear it. Now, to be fair, I've talked to people from the Midwest who think I have a "California" accent who think they *don't* have any accent, even when they have a prominent Wisconsin-ish sort of accent, that "sort of Canadian" but mixed with Midwest sort of accent.

I do think the BBs occasionally used some slightly odd accents that weren't *always* down to just being Californian. I think in some cases their own accent was clashing with how they learned to sing from listening to records of other singers with different accents.
Thanks, this adds to Amy's post to get bigger picture. I read in some thread posters compared David's speech to the rest of BBs; smb. said his accent differs & added that it's funny as they were neighbors living across the street.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 07:00:13 AM »

One thing I always notice his how Dennis, Carl, and Dave all say the word "you" as "yoo" (rhymes with boo) instead of "yu"/"yew" (rhymes with ewe), and I've never noticed it in Brian, Mike, or Al.

The extended r's must be a California thing, as Tom Delonge of Blink 182 (from San Diego) is notorious for it. First line of their song "Down": The drops of rain they fall all overrrrrrrr. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTZT49u0kM  It's just the opposite of the Boston accent.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »

For native Japanese or French speakers: how accurate is Mike's accent in Sumahama and Bells of Paris?

I'm assuming that he sung the lyrics phonetically.

His pronounciation of the French words in Belles of Paris is actually pretty good. Brian doesn't do as good a job in At My Window.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 01:08:38 AM »

One thing I always notice his how Dennis, Carl, and Dave all say the word "you" as "yoo" (rhymes with boo) instead of "yu"/"yew" (rhymes with ewe), and I've never noticed it in Brian, Mike, or Al.
OK, 1st I was thinking, "What's the difference between "yoo" & "yew"?", then I got it, got thru the BBs & solo catalog to hear what you say (it was quite difficult). Agreed re: David & Dennis, with Dennis sometimes shifting. But Carl definitely says "yew" like Brian, Mike & Al. But it's interesting observation you brought. Thanks.

mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »

I knew Al was born in Lima, Ohio, but I didn't know until I read James B. Murphy's book, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, that he'd lived in New York State.  He went from part of first grade through part of third grade in Rochester, then completed third and fourth grades in the West Irondequoit School District near Lake Ontario, not far from Rochester.  The Jardines moved from New York to San Francisco in 1952 and then to Hawthorne in 1955.

As for their "California accents," this Wikipedia article, "North American English regional phonology," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English_regional_phonology, may be helpful.  It's rather long, I admit.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 04:53:32 PM »

I knew Al was born in Lima, Ohio, but I didn't know until I read James B. Murphy's book, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, that he'd lived in New York State.  He went from part of first grade through part of third grade in Rochester, then completed third and fourth grades in the West Irondequoit School District near Lake Ontario, not far from Rochester.  The Jardines moved from New York to San Francisco in 1952 and then to Hawthorne in 1955.

As for their "California accents," this Wikipedia article, "North American English regional phonology," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English_regional_phonology, may be helpful.  It's rather long, I admit.
Thanks for the answers! Al should sing about New York after SC/BH (Ohio) & California Saga. Shall check the wiki page.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:54:03 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 04:59:49 PM »

I knew Al was born in Lima, Ohio, but I didn't know until I read James B. Murphy's book, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, that he'd lived in New York State.  He went from part of first grade through part of third grade in Rochester, then completed third and fourth grades in the West Irondequoit School District near Lake Ontario, not far from Rochester.  The Jardines moved from New York to San Francisco in 1952 and then to Hawthorne in 1955.

As for their "California accents," this Wikipedia article, "North American English regional phonology," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English_regional_phonology, may be helpful.  It's rather long, I admit.
Thanks for the answers! Al should sing about New York after SC/BH (Ohio) & California Saga. Shall check the wiki page.

Didn't Al sing the demos for Back Home (1970)? If so, he shouldve sang lead on it for 15 Big Ones! "I'm goin' back this summer to Ohio..."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »

Didn't Al sing the demos for Back Home (1970)? If so, he shouldve sang lead on it for 15 Big Ones! "I'm goin' back this summer to Ohio..."
Yes, I listed Back Home as BH. You're right, Al is best choice to sing it. Brian's vocal is among his worst.

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 11:19:12 AM »

Is "I feel so break up" a part of the California accent too?  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx