gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:19:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unusual Pronunciations and Accents in BB Songs  (Read 6483 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »

1) To my ears, in the mono mix of Cabinessence on the 2011 TSS, "iron" seems to be pronounced with a hard "r" as in "irony".  

2) One reason to dislike Barbara Ann: pronouncing the name Barbaran.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:54:44 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

I have a cousin named Deirdre. It's pronounced "Dee-dra". I don't know any other Deirdres and perhaps it's my own family pronouncing it wrong, but the first time I heard "Deer-dree" I was like WTF?  LOL
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »

"Deer-dree" is how we pronounce it in the UK, but it seems an odd name to use in a song, unless she was another masseuse like Marcella.
Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

"Deer-dree" is how we pronounce it in the UK

Fair enough. It just sounded strange to my ears. But I'm used to it now Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:43:14 AM »

How about Brian's French in "At My Window?"

And of course there's Al's comedy voice on "Take Good Care of Your Feet"...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »

"Deer-dree" is how we pronounce it in the UK

Fair enough. It just sounded strange to my ears. But I'm used to it now Smiley
I've always pronounced it, and heard it pronounced, as Dee-ah-dree.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »

"Soulful Old Man Shunshine" - Carl Wilson  Grin
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »

Thank you for this topic, it's been on my mind. I think I have heard Al pronounce away as "ay-way" on a couple of songs, and it irritates the heck out of me. Then again, I've heard that pronunciation in non-BB songs as well, so maybe there's something especially musical about it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »

I have a cousin named Deirdre. It's pronounced "Dee-dra". I don't know any other Deirdres and perhaps it's my own family pronouncing it wrong, but the first time I heard "Deer-dree" I was like WTF?  LOL

Names are sketchy, because people often just make up their own spellings and/or pronunciations.

I always assumed it was pronounced "Dee-dra" if it was spelled "Deidre", and then "Deer-dree" sounded not totally off for the "Deirdre" spelling. But maybe it's half wrong and it's supposed to be "Deer-dra." When there an "R" in the first syllable though, "Dee-dra" doesn't sound right.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »

Less a pronunciation and more a stylized choice, the "Califor-nye-a" thing is something that I never paid a great deal of attention to, but in recent years I had someone who obviously had less exposure to BB classics who was all "Wtf?" when they heard them sing "Calior-nye-a" in a recording.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »

For native Japanese or French speakers: how accurate is Mike's accent in Sumahama and Bells of Paris?

I'm assuming that he sung the lyrics phonetically.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »

In reference to the "miss my pad" vs. "miss my pet" debate on "That's Not Me", if he *is* meaning to sing "pet", then it's a relatively bizarre pronunciation of "pet."

I've heard people who have claimed to ask Mike himself and Mike has said it's "pet", but I still hear "pad."

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »

In Desert Drive, Foskett sings "coyote" as "Kie - Oat" rather than "Kie - Oat - E".

It annoys the poop out of me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »

In Desert Drive, Foskett sings "coyote" as "Kie - Oat" rather than "Kie - Oat - E".

It annoys the poop out of me.

Probably because singing it with three syllables sounds even clunkier  Grin But yeah, it's a bit of a funny pronunciation, I'm guessing a regional reference of some sort.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »

I've heard it pronounced "kie-oats" many times by different people.

kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »

Less a pronunciation and more a stylized choice, the "Califor-nye-a" thing is something that I never paid a great deal of attention to, but in recent years I had someone who obviously had less exposure to BB classics who was all "Wtf?" when they heard them sing "Calior-nye-a" in a recording.

I've always heard it as "Californ-i-a" (or "Californ-eye-aye"), and I always thought of it as a nick-name for the state more than a pronunciation choice.   Similar to how "Californy" is used in the Beverly Hillbillies Theme.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 11:16:58 PM »

"Californy-ah" is pronounced that way in "Cal Saga" so that it will rhyme with "sunny day."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 06:17:53 AM »

I've always heard it as "Californ-i-a" (or "Californ-eye-aye"), and I always thought of it as a nick-name for the state more than a pronunciation choice.   Similar to how "Californy" is used in the Beverly Hillbillies Theme.

Yes, I agree. Like I said, I don't think it's a mispronunciation, but rather a stylization for effect, more to shoehorn a rhyme in than anything else. I just thought it was an interesting perspective from a non-fan that it was arguably kind of lazy and silly to rhyme "USA" with "California" by stylizing it as "Califor-nye-a" (regardless of whether the second syllable ends with the "n"; it's stretched out the same way).

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »

I've always heard it as "Californ-i-a" (or "Californ-eye-aye"), and I always thought of it as a nick-name for the state more than a pronunciation choice.   Similar to how "Californy" is used in the Beverly Hillbillies Theme.

Yes, I agree. Like I said, I don't think it's a mispronunciation, but rather a stylization for effect, more to shoehorn a rhyme in than anything else. I just thought it was an interesting perspective from a non-fan that it was arguably kind of lazy and silly to rhyme "USA" with "California" by stylizing it as "Califor-nye-a" (regardless of whether the second syllable ends with the "n"; it's stretched out the same way).

Imagine how odd it would have been if, instead of changing the pronunciation of "California" to shoehorn the rhyme in, they changed the pronunciation of "day" to rhyme with "California"?

"On my way to sunny California… On my way to spend another sunny duh"

Not quite the same ring Smiley  There is definitely an art to the shoehorn.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:05:37 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »

Brian sings "I miss my house" on this tour.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »

In "Livin' with a heartache" Carl sings the word "miss" as "mish". Rmbr the now dead Shut Down board? There was thread where smb. said that Carl had unusual accent from any of the BBs, then the other poster replied that it's Californian accent to which smb. else replied that there isn't such thing as "Californian" accent & further debates. I don't think they got to the bottom. Would like to know, maybe it [the accent] has diff. name?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 01:48:50 AM »

Would like to know, maybe it [the accent] has diff. name?
Alcohol? He sounds drunk on that song.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 02:17:08 AM »

Would like to know, maybe it [the accent] has diff. name?
Alcohol? He sounds drunk on that song.
That's because he was. It's in the liner notes for the KTSA/TBB twofer.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 04:24:23 AM »

2Rick5150: I didn't mean specifically that song. As I said, smb. in Shut Down board years ago mentioned Carl's weird wording of words & then smb. else said it's (typical) "Californian" accent. Then turned out it isn't & I'm not sure what the bottom line is. That is the question to those who know/live in CA - does Carl indeed speak as typical Californian & whether it's called differently if people in that area *do* have their own distinct accent. Or the way Californians speak belongs to the group of states that speak that way?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »

In "Livin' with a heartache" Carl sings the word "miss" as "mish".
This Happens also in canīt way too long
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx