gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:48:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Girls on the Beach  (Read 4414 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »

Thoughts on this underrated gem..?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfl24DhU1w

It's Brian's most advanced excursion into vocal harmonies in a pop song. It modulates to the chorus anyway but after the bridge the verse modulates halfway as well! And that snare sound... To say nothing of the wistful harmonies in the tag. Like the minor chords in "All Summer Long" they seem to be saying it won't always be summer...

I don't know what goes for underrated in Brian and the Boys' canon but "GOTB" could never be overrated. An absolute masterpiece.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:33:19 PM »

I'm always shocked this never popped up on a live set list all these years.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »

Dennis' solo vocal is irresistible. Brian's arrangement is perfect.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:05:03 PM »

Dennis' solo vocal is irresistible. Brian's arrangement is perfect.

And when you're in your 70s...this all sounds rather creepy...which might explain why Brian has let it go...and why Mike might still choose to include it in a 'set'.  One of them has SENSE in the 21st century.. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:34:12 PM »

I think Matt would end up singing it anyway...and might sound pretty spiffy on it too

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »

I always felt it was too similar to Surfer Girl.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »

Girls on the Beach is like Surfer Girl on steroids. the harmonies, chord progression, and arrangement are much more sophisticated. when compared to SG, GOTB is really a great indicator of just how much Brian advanced in a short period of time. Denny's vocal on the bridge is the icing on the cake. what a cut.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:55:35 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:45:27 PM »

Not at all. Girls on the Beach has so many unexpected turns in the chords and melody. Nobody else writes like this!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:26:54 PM »

Not at all. Girls on the Beach has so many unexpected turns in the chords and melody. Nobody else writes like this!
You're both right. Chords & melody is advanced in the later song. But if you sing its 1st 2 lines in each verse over the melody of "Surfer girl" & vice versa, you'll see they're equirhythmic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »

Brian's arrangements and vox are outstanding on GOTB.
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 04:20:49 AM »

A good song. Terrible lyrics, but beautiful melody and harmonies.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 06:33:44 AM »

This would definitely be a good candidate for Brian to do on his tour. Much like "Surfer Girl", there's no real "lead" vocal other than the bridge, so this would be a good one to showcase the entire group. Brian could certainly take Dennis's couple of lines on the bridge.

I sometimes wonder if a song like this doesn't get added because they don't want too many songs with that similar tempo/time signature, with "Surfer Girl" and "In My Room" (two songs they don't often leave out of shows) already filling that role. There's a pool of songs with this sort of tempo, like "The Warmth of the Sun", "Ballad of Ole Betsy", etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »

I've never cared for it, which is unfortunate because I recognise that Brian's virtuosity is fully on display here. Like others though, I've just never been able to get past its resemblance to Surfer Girl.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »

Surfer Girl, Girls On The Beach, Warmth of The Sun, Betsy, In My Room, etc? I'd take a hundred of 'em. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 11:41:19 AM »

Always been one of my favorites for the past 50 years, as is the album it's on. Beautiful composition and arrangement. "Terrible lyrics?"  Huh?? It's a song about girls on the beach.  So, oddly enough, the lyrics are about girls on the beach.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »

Like others though, I've just never been able to get past its resemblance to Surfer Girl.

I heard "GOTB" before I heard "Surfer Girl" so I don't have that problem. ;=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »

At the high school dance, this was one where you held the girl close and danced nice and slow.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »

At the high school dance, this was one where you held the girl close and danced nice and slow.

If it had actually been played at any high school dance.  I'm guessing not.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »

If it had actually been played at any high school dance.  I'm guessing not.

Guess again. Being a member of a group of BB fans in high school (class of 66) we made sure it was played at our weekly Friday night dances.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »

Cool Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

Surfer Girl, Girls On The Beach, Warmth of The Sun, Betsy, In My Room, etc? I'd take a hundred of 'em. 

Make that 200.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »

could be GOTB is one where Murry Wilson is standing in the control room shadows.  the songs not one of Brian's most adventurous of productions
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »

could be GOTB is one where Murry Wilson is standing in the control room shadows.  the songs not one of Brian's most adventurous of productions

i don't know about production but it's certainly one of Brian's most adventurous songs...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »

I wonder what the story was with the movie being named after the song. Was someone at the studio a fan of the song, and then the movie title was based on the song title? There must be some explanation.

It is an amazing melody with ridiculously innovative and trippy chord changes. And just imagine this song done a few years later with some psychedelic touches during the Smiley Smile era, with the Lei'd in Hawaii instrumentation.

GOTB has certainly been ignored by the band for far too long. Maybe it can become the next All I Wanna Do, where us fans champion it enough to the point that Brian's band takes notice and finally performs it live.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:54:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx