gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:52:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book Discussion Thread.  (Read 35654 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »

Nice to finally see what that looks like! It's funny...I have VST plug ins that can do pretty much the same thing, yet I bet it would've been fun to play around with one.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2016, 08:39:51 PM »

Craig...when you read it for the first time, what part jumped out at you the most?

The book or the Spin review?  Grin

For real though, I'd say it was any number of the vignettes and stories about Brian that no one outside of Brian and those who were there with him have heard. That - or should I say those - are the paints that really go into painting the portrait, all the details and descriptions and memories of things that happened as part of everyday life. It's the dose of pure reality versus mythology, it's the living and breathing daily unfolding of events versus timelines and fact-checking detail that humanizes the whole thing. It's a reality apart from the fanbase and whatever expectations and assumptions have been built up.

Favorite parts like that? Too numerous to name. The Magic Johnson encounter to me was one of the highlights. It was, as told in the book, as simple and as nonchalant as everyday mundane activity for them to happen to be in the same place at the same time, unplanned and totally random, and just say hi to each other. Fans of both would see or be a part of a scene like this and a lot would freak out. These two greats simply did what they did and kept going. Pretty cool. "Hey Magic!"

:D  Yeah I thought that was pretty sweet.

I loved the stories with him and Ray (esp. the Fed Ex pizza thing) . Nice glimpse as to how Brian is when he's just chillin'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2016, 08:16:34 AM »

Yes! Brian thinks Steamboat kicks ass!  Cheesy

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »

Just want to chime in to say I'm just over halfway through the book and really enjoying it so far - especially the conversational tone and meandering direction. It reminds me of those lazy directions in Busy Doing' Nothin somehow!

I can really hear Brian's voice and there are some fascinating insights. It's just great to see Brian discussing the more obscure (to the non fanatic) corners of the catalogue such as Smiley Smile and the fact that he talks fondly of that album is a minor revelation (to me).

I'm going to try and steer clear of this thread. A brief skim is revealing the same old 'Is this really Brian' debate and I sense it will only spoil the book for me.

Doubtless I won't be able to resist and will soon be weighing in though!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »

I don't sense any of the once usual "Is it really Brian?" nonsense here. That kind of myth about Brian has been debunked too many times now, including by this book itself. Of course the (excellent) pen is Ben Greenman, but the content is unadulterated Brian. Whoever still thinks in "Is it really Brian?" terms is a hopeless case by now, and I would not worry much.
What I sense is a great and sincere enthusiasm for this book, which seems to surpass the most optimistic expectations.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:02:22 AM by General Woundwort » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Scaroline No
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »

A brief skim is revealing the same old 'Is this really Brian' debate and I sense it will only spoil the book for me.

There is very little doubt in my mind that the book is really Brian. The way some of the stories even kind of repeat themselves indicates to me that Greenman did little more than help organize the stories into chapters. It seems to me like literary interventions were kept to a minimum.

I do think some of what Brian remembers is based on stories that have been told over and over again by other people, but he very often presents a unique perspective with details I haven't seen anyplace else. I really got the feeling he was kind of saying, in a way, "yeah, lots of this stuff is on wikipedia, but this is how I remember it, this is what I think and feel about it". (My words, not his, obviously.) The story itself is not really new, but his feelings about the events of his life are new to us, and that's what makes this book so exhilarating, and heartwarming, and heartbreaking, and funny, and so friggin' awesome.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »

Craig...when you read it for the first time, what part jumped out at you the most?

Sorry, I feel like answering this question. What really jumped out to me was how much the structure was like Love and Mercy (the movie). Slipping back and forth in time on a thread. But instead of covering just two specifics time periods it is the whole dang tapestry. I love that.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:28:51 AM by pixletwin » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »

Sorry, I feel like answering this question. What really jumped out to me was how much the structure was like Love and Mercy (the movie). Slipping back and forth in time on a thread. But instead of covering just two specifics time periods it is the whole dang tapestry. I love that.

my wife had a similar reaction and also made the love and mercy comparison! 

I'm so glad it wasn't straight chronological order...it gave Brian's stories more punch Imho

Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »

What I find interesting is that, except for Landry, Brian goes easy everybody else in his life. I find it amazing that, after all he has been through, he does not have a bitter bone in his body.

I also like that he takes the time time to quote and rave about the songwriting of the other Beach Boys.

Brian's sense of humor (25% better, the Don Henley thing) is absolutely brilliant - dry as the Mojave Desert.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:11 PM »

What I find interesting is that, except for Landry, Brian goes easy everybody else in his life. I find it amazing that, after all he has been through, he does not have a bitter bone in his body.

Agreed...it is the thing I admire the most about him. If there were more people like Brian, this world would be a much better place.

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »

Agreed...it is the thing I admire the most about him. If there were more people like Brian, this world would be a much better place.

I consider him to be the gentlest soul in music.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2016, 09:57:06 PM »

Easily.

mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2016, 09:13:17 AM »

Yesterday I literally scared my roommates... I couldn't stop laughing out loud of the "awful cute"/"oh f* you" line in Palisades Park  LOL LOL LOL LOL
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »

I just read the part in Brian's book where he talks about how cool it was to be honored at the Kennedy Center Tribute so I looked it up on youtube to see if I could watch it.  I'm not kidding....it brought tears to my eyes.  Remind me never to watch this at work again! The tribute to Brian was so well done, and it included footage of the love those Wilson brothers had for one another.   It was also gut wrenching when Lyle Lovett sang God Only Knows and you can see Melinda comforting Brian because she knows how hard it must be for him to hear it and think of Carl.  There was a lot love for Brian in that room that evening -- no wonder it is such a fond memory for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQMR0SzlPY - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM-uollwxh8 - Part 2
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2016, 10:16:02 AM »

Yesterday I literally scared my roommates... I couldn't stop laughing out loud of the "awful cute"/"oh f* you" line in Palisades Park  LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL  I'll NEVER be able to hear that song in the same way!

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »

So "Just An Imitation" does exist somewhere.  Man, would I love to hear that soon!   Smokin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2016, 06:15:16 AM »

You never know; a lot of fans were dying to hear "Battle Hymn of the Republic" or the '74 demo-ish studio recording of "California Feeling", and those ended up being more of a novelty than intensely interesting recordings.

Obviously, it's potentially different when it comes to a song that we've never heard in any form.

(I should mention that I find "Battle Hymn..." about 10% less embarrassing than I guess a lot of fans do; it sounds pretty precisely like what a "15 Big Ones" era version of the song *would* sound like).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »

You never know; a lot of fans were dying to hear "Battle Hymn of the Republic" or the '74 demo-ish studio recording of "California Feeling", and those ended up being more of a novelty than intensely interesting recordings.

I love the former and 75 In the Back of my mind, but for me anything with Brian's voice during the transitional period is fascinating for me.

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »

A few things that have stuck out for me so far:

<snipped>

-The whole story about Murray forcing Brian to sh** on a plate is turned on its head. In Brian's version he purposely did it and handed the plate to his father saying "Here's your dinner" just to get back at him for numerous offenses. 

somewhere on line - (pos Rolling Stone?), there's a 70s interview with Dennis claiming exactly that version,
 as an example of Brian's <pre eta: severe depression> sense of humour & how used to play pranks on people.

When I read that I thought it was him(Dennis) trolling the reporter   Shocked LOL

eta2: was it somebody on here who referred to it as "scatalogical Rashômon" - cracking up just thinking of that phrase
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:24:09 PM by wild neon sins » Logged

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2016, 03:45:10 PM »

"scatalogical Rashômon"

I misread that as "scatalogical RORSCHACH" and about died laughing.

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »

"scatalogical Rashômon"

I misread that as "scatalogical RORSCHACH" and about died laughing.

Grin LOL LOL

back on topic, Brian's book sounds lovely from the reviews/extracts & I'm going to get it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2016, 04:30:35 PM »

Do it...you won't regret it!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2016, 08:06:22 AM »

eta2: was it somebody on here who referred to it as "scatalogical Rashômon"
Yes, quick search by poster shows it's ontor pertawst. Btw, what's "eta"? You use it a lot.

The entire post with that phrase, "Chocolate Shake Times" reviewed it as "Brilliant" in the next issue post: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13814.msg301228.html#msg301228
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:39:08 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »

eta2: was it somebody on here who referred to it as "scatalogical Rashômon"
Yes, quick search by poster shows it's ontor pertawst. Btw, what's "eta"? You use it a lot.

The entire post with that phrase, "Chocolate Shake Times" reviewed it as "Brilliant" in the next issue post: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13814.msg301228.html#msg301228
Thanks. (cracking up again at the inappropriateness of the words Chocolate Shake anywhere near the word scatological)
sorry: ediited to add.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx