gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:14:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book Discussion Thread.  (Read 35795 times)
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »

Thomas works here in Nashville a ton. He's a producer in the traditional sense of the word. Record companies pay  big $$$$ to him to keep projects in line and moving forward. From the  times I've been in a room with him he has a good  music sensibility. He can play , sing, read music, etc. It's pretty hard to to B S Him musically. The studio musicians really like him. He's smart enough to not try and interject himself where he isn't needed i.e. he knows when to hire this person or that person to get the sound that the artist wants. As they used to say he has a great Rolodex.  So at any moment if Brian wanted a certain sound or performance  that Brian or Thomas could not get themselves , I would think that person or instrument was an easy phone call away. Even though any musician in the world would drop everything to work with Brian, I'm not sure outside of his own band, Brian would necessarily know who to call to get a particular vibe these days. I read Brian's book and agree with you that Brian seems to be very comfortable working with him. I also want to say that for a really big guy, he DOES have a very calming kind of voice. Maybe just the opposite of Brian's Dad. I've never heard Thomas ever raise his voice or yell at anybody the way I've seen some producers work. He really doesn't have to. When I've seen him in the studio , he's  sometimes kind of like  someones body guard who is hanging out in the session but happens to have perfect pitch and good ideas! Another observation, he's kind of a smart ass and he really cuts it up with the players down here, who can also be very funny and sharp tongued.  I will disagree slightly with you. My read on Brian's conundrum working on Imagination is as follows; Maybe Brian was a little disappointed in himself. Maybe he got a little complacent working with Thomas. In the end if he saw that the train kept rolling down the track without him he was mad at himself for not contributing more. Maybe musicians  were booked at a certain time and Brian was late. Knowing the costs of the musicians prompted Thomas to start the session without Brian and when it still sounded good to Brian it made him reflect inwardly. 100% theory. Maybe Brian thought  that  he could have made it better , but maybe it sounded pretty good to him, and maybe his retroactive  competitive side took over. I certainly didn't read anything as such with regard to TWGMTR or NPP. So maybe now they have better timing together?Huh? How many records have the two of them done now? 6? Over 20 or more years?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »

My read on Brian's conundrum working on Imagination is as follows; Maybe Brian was a little disappointed in himself. Maybe he got a little complacent working with Thomas. In the end if he saw that the train kept rolling down the track without him he was mad at himself for not contributing more. Maybe musicians  were booked at a certain time and Brian was late. Knowing the costs of the musicians prompted Thomas to start the session without Brian and when it still sounded good to Brian it made him reflect inwardly. 100% theory. Maybe Brian thought  that  he could have made it better , but maybe it sounded pretty good to him, and maybe his retroactive  competitive side took over. I certainly didn't read anything as such with regard to TWGMTR or NPP. So maybe now they have better timing together?Huh? How many records have the two of them done now? 6? Over 20 or more years?

I definitely didn't take his comments about Imagination as a knock on Joe, but more just a "how did that end up happening?" kind of thing. He didn't seem to be saying "I wanted to do X, but Joe made us do Y" at all. Seemed purely retroactive to me, and not vitriolic. Just thinking that now that it's long-since done, it's not what he would have wanted it to be, or not how he wished he would have handled it.

As for their records together, I guess we'd have Stars and Stripes, Imagination, TWGMTR, and some of NPP, not counting live stuff. And yeah, that's over 20 years.

While I didn't like the production much on Imagination or the live BBs album, I actually thought TWGMTR and NPP were done just fine, for the kind of music they were. No real complaints here. And let's be honest, BW apparently needs a cowriter to get much done. If Joe is one he's comfortable with, more power to him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »

Good comments here!
I have to confess I'm feeling better about liking Imagination so little (nothing in that album ever clicked with me the right way), seen what Brian himself says.
Based on the interviews and what little else I knew of him, I had imagined Joe as exactly the type of man described by Timbnash68. A type I like.

P.S.
Also, Captain, I just read your comments on NPP in the PS forum and really appreciated them. I think you got the "spirit" of the album right. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:45:31 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2016, 09:57:20 AM »

P.S.
Also, Captain, I just read your comments on NPP in the PS forum and really appreciated them. I think you got the "spirit" of the album right. Smiley

Huh, I don't remember what I wrote, I better go check it out! But glad you appreciated them, whatever they were.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Michigander2122
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »

Good comments here!
I have to confess I'm feeling better about liking Imagination so little (nothing in that album ever clicked with me the right way), seen what Brian himself says.
Based on the interviews and what little else I knew of him, I had imagined Joe as exactly the type of man described by Timbnash68. A type I like.

P.S.

Agree with THORGIL! Sounds like a pretty safe working environment for Brian. From what I read in the book they seem to be very good friends, there was plenty of good food, golf and a little work thrown in for good measure. Quite the opposite of the tumultuous studio environment Brian endured in the 60's with his dad yelling at him at for any reason what so ever.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »

P.S.

Huh, I don't remember what I wrote, I better go check it out! But glad you appreciated them, whatever they were.
Your mini-review in Page 1 of the NPP thread, in the section dedicated to reviews of Brian's solo albums.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:32:00 AM by thorgil » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2016, 11:10:27 AM »

P.S.

Your mini-review in Page 1 of the NPP thread, in the section dedicated to reviews of Brian's solo albums.

Double-checked it and stand behind it. It's a fun little grab-bag of subgenres, not a masterpiece. Not everything has to be a masterpiece. And thank goodness it wasn't another attempt at a suite.

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »

The Carol Mountain story ...ends it with "That never happened". Facetious Brian is hilarious LOL

I've been emailing the best of them to a friend as I come across them. That's one I sent. I laughed so hard.

Bit late to the party on this comment, but... although the book is full of some super-funny 'Brianisms', I didn't read this comment as one of 'em myself. I thought the 'That never happened' comment at the end of the sentence wasn't some clever-clever "I've just told you this whole anecdote, but now I'm calling it entirely into question at the very end, aha, am I just an unreliable narrator...?" thing (if it was, Brian doesn't seem to employ that device anywhere else in the book, unlike say Ray Davies in his books about his life)... but instead literally just a shorthand way of saying "the guy threatened me if I ever went near his wife again... so obviously THAT never happened again". Or in other words, "I didn't want to get my head blown off, so I didn't ever go near her again."

But maybe it was a gag; what do I know?

I like the FedEx pizza story a whole lot - I can SO imagine Brian doing that. Let's not forget, this is the guy who talked about opening a telescope shop (it was telescopes, wasn't it...?) just so he could go and get one at 3am if he wanted to... !
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:25:16 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »

But maybe it was a gag; what do I know?

It was a gag, but I misread it...seems to be more along the lines of "that never happened' in the sense of he never got his head blown off (which is obvious as he was writing about it)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »

Seems to be more along the lines of "that never happened' in the sense of he never got his head blown off (which is obvious as he was writing about it)

Yeah, actually Billy, that makes total sense too. And IS funny as well!

But actually, the bit that made me laugh most about the Carol Mountain story was the bit of the line that went:

"...before I left I put my hand on her leg. It wasn't completely innocent - it was still a great leg - but it was mostly innocent."

Again, you can *so* imagine Brian saying that out loud Wink
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:12:03 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »

LOL Yes I can, and I can hear it in Brian's voice!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »

The way you're both reading it now is exactly how I read it, which is what was so funny. I didn't mean that the story didn't happen, but the absurdity of taking the time to say his own head hadn't been blown off by the angry husband. That was hilarious to me. And yes, the "not completely innocent--it was still a great leg" was also hilarious.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »

Brianisms live! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »

The book seems 100 times more interesting than I feared it could be. And as a lover of James Joyce, I find its stream of consciousness style fantastic (Ben Greenman I love you). Imho it will change the way many fans perceive Brian, and vindicate what Ray and Debbie are telling us all the time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:35:24 PM by thorgil » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »

I was hoping for some more info and background on how the book was written and what went into the interviews with Brian, any additional info, etc. These were earlier reports on the book's writing that mentioned Ray Lawlor's involvement, and I'm curious how it all came together to become the book which was released this week. There were also various social media posts by people claiming to be researching the book, some claims/charges by fans here about getting info from Wikipedia, some making claims about what was or wasn't done, who was or wasn't involved, etc...it would be good to get more details on the background if that's possible and get it all sorted out.

These are the links I was referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Brian_Wilson:_A_Memoir

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/30735864/beach-boys-legend-brian-wilson-surfs-back-to-good-vibrations/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »

I was hoping for some more discussion in general...it is really a wonderful book. Brian's voice shines through...I like to compare it to Keith Richards's "Life", in that both books sound like the artist is just sitting on the porch telling stories. This is Brian, unfiltered, and telling you what's on his mind. If you haven't bought it yet, do so as soon as it is economically possible. Trust me, you won't regret it.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/15/497948822/i-feel-pretty-good-a-moment-with-brian-wilson

Seven minutes - he was getting ready for a sound check -  but worth a listen.

Reminder- he'll be signing the book at Book Soup in LA this Tuesday at 6 pm. Again - only the book, nothing else. Up to five copies per person of which at least one must be purchased at the store.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:59 PM »

Thank you for the link.  That guy kept asking Brian about the voices, but Brian shut him down pretty quick.

I don't think Brian was feeling this guy at all, and to be honest, neither was I.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »

Thank you for the link.  That guy kept asking Brian about the voices, but Brian shut him down pretty quick.

I don't think Brian was feeling this guy at all, and to be honest, neither was I.

A pet peeve of mine. Why not ask Brian about something he enjoys for a change? Does every interview have to be "tell me about those dark years..". Sheesh. No wonder he clams up.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »

How many thousands of times has BW been asked about the dark years of mental illness and drug use.  It's in the book so it's fair game, but enough already.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »

A pet peeve of mine. Why not ask Brian about something he enjoys for a change? Does every interview have to be "tell me about those dark years..". Sheesh. No wonder he clams up.

How many thousands of times has BW been asked about the dark years of mental illness and drug use.  It's in the book so it's fair game, but enough already.

Exactly. And it's IN the book, so he's already given the definitive answer!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »

I'm less opposed to that line of questioning. Let's be serious, those issues are a big part of why people care about a Brian Wilson autobiography. And yes, he talks about them in the book ... and is promoting the book by going on NPR and such. Of course he's going to be asked about it. No interviewer is just going to stick to "what's your favorite song?" nor should they. If the rough subjects (drug abuse, mental illness, his dad) are handled tactfully and not over-sensationalized, I think they're entirely fair game. It might be boring for the people who read or listen to every single interview he does, but most people don't fit into that category.

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2016, 06:25:10 AM »

Page 227.  "Mike was Mike. You can't wallow in the mire."  'Nuff said. 

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »

Brian states that David Anderle was involved in setting up Brother Records with Warner/Reprise in 1970 - is that correct?  I thought his involvement was limited to the 67 Brother deal with Capital that was relatively short-lived.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2016, 07:25:23 PM »

A good review to check out:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/brian-wilsons-new-memoir-delves-inside-the-mind-of-the-oft-tortured-genius-8734560

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx