gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:57:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book Discussion Thread.  (Read 35788 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2016, 05:22:23 PM »

Due in less than 2 weeks. Mods, delete if elsewhere but perhaps a single thread like Mikes book.

A pretty interesting article with some detail of the writing process.

http://www.startribune.com/beach-boys-genius-brian-wilson-dishes-on-memoir-minneapolis-pet-sounds-concert/395287921/

Book by phone

For the book, Wilson worked with New York author Ben Greenman, who has collaborated on memoirs with Gene Simmons, Questlove, Simon Cowell, George Clinton and Mariel Hemingway.

The process, according to Wilson, involved countless telephone interviews over the course of eight months. Each interview lasted about 40 minutes. Then Greenman put together the book.

Wilson said he has no regrets about anything that’s in the book, which details his insecurities, feuds and dark days, including how his father abused him mentally and physically. However, one can sense that Wilson is reluctant to do a tell-all, refusing to address certain topics, such as his fractured and litigious relationship with his cousin Mike Love, who performs under the Beach Boys name.

Wilson said he will send Love a copy of “I Am Brian Wilson” and that he plans to read Love’s own “Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy,” which was published last month.

How would he characterize his relationship with Love?

“Nonexistent,” he said succinctly.

They haven’t talked for four years — since the Beach Boys’ 50th anniversary tour ended in acrimony and Wilson resumed performing under his own name, with fellow original Beach Boy Al Jardine, among others.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »

Oh, this thread at last! Thanks for starting it, and for the link to the article.
Judging by the excerpts I have read, the book reads like unfiltered Brian Wilson: you hear his typical "voice". I was hoping for that,  and congrats to Ben Greenman for this approach and to Brian for allowing it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:43:27 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »

Thanks for making this thread! Can't wait! 2 weeks never felt slower
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »

I hope Brian mentions Adult/Child at some point, it'd be really interesting to hear his thoughts and recollections about it!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »

Has anyone pre-ordered the book from Amazon? The release date is October 11 but I got notification that it wouldn't be delivered to me until October 13.
Waiting 2 extra days would be torture. Hope that is an error on Amazon's part.
(With Mike's book, I received it the day it was released.)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »

Has anyone pre-ordered the book from Amazon? The release date is October 11 but I got notification that it wouldn't be delivered to me until October 13.
Waiting 2 extra days would be torture. Hope that is an error on Amazon's part.
(With Mike's book, I received it the day it was released.)
I got the same notification. Ordered Mike's book at the same time, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for them both!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »

I'll have the Kindle version on the day.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »

Thanks for making this thread! Can't wait! 2 weeks never felt slower
I know, right?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »

I have pre ordered it on Amazon but not gotten any particular notifications or updates about the date. My sense from reading Mike's book and hearing a bit about Brian's book is that both men have so much love for each other and so much passion and poignancy for all that they have shared together. The world is not black and white and love and respect and a profound connection can coexist with all the tensions and anxieties they have had. In fact it all makes the Beach Boys music much more meaningful and much more rich. This is the sacrifice that artists make. They're pain, when it's translated into music , reaches us on the deeper level then their personal happiness ever could. Of course I hope that these books,when exchanged, will bring Brian and Mike were closer together, and I think it's sad that the relationship is non-existent, and I'm sure that they are both hurt by this. For me the most important thing is that everyday of my life I listen to at least one song that the two of them wrote, which goes directly to my heart and soul, and I could never thank each and the both of them enough for that.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »

I have pre ordered it on Amazon but not gotten any particular notifications or updates about the date. My sense from reading Mike's book and hearing a bit about Brian's book is that both men have so much love for each other and so much passion and poignancy for all that they have shared together. The world is not black and white and love and respect and a profound connection can coexist with all the tensions and anxieties they have had. In fact it all makes the Beach Boys music much more meaningful and much more rich. This is the sacrifice that artists make. They're pain, when it's translated into music , reaches us on the deeper level then their personal happiness ever could. Of course I hope that these books,when exchanged, will bring Brian and Mike were closer together, and I think it's sad that the relationship is non-existent, and I'm sure that they are both hurt by this. For me the most important thing is that everyday of my life I listen to at least one song that the two of them wrote, which goes directly to my heart and soul, and I could never thank each and the both of them enough for that.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 06:59:39 AM »

Since I got Mike's book at our Indigo book store two weeks before the official release date, I will check Indigo tomorrow (Oct. 1) to see if Brian's book has arrived early as well. Will report back!
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »

I found this Google preview, but am forcing myself not to read it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ug_-DAAAQBAJ&pg=PA282&lpg=PA282&dq=brian+wilson+bus&source=bl&ots=x-7i0v3GLD&sig=NxlQzNLVF_ZiXbR7YMP5GXHXMPQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlp6ulw6nPAhXK7YMKHXaXDCU4ChDoAQguMAk#v=onepage&q=brian%20wilson%20bus&f=false

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »

Newest issue of Time had a page discussing both Brian and Bruce Springsteen's new memoirs, as well as a brief piece on The Lovester's book.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 09:50:24 PM »

Yeah a big year for bio's. I see today that Robbie Robertson of The Band has one out in Nov to. My son has the Springsteen book on order and of course Brian and Mikes, not to mention Dean Torrence. Wasn't Daves book due for an updated release as well?

Edit.

Daves site is pushing the 10th anniversary edition, which will be next year. A bit cluttered this year so good call.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:57:22 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:41:12 AM »

That review sounds just like Brian.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »

"Nonexistent". Brian describing his relationship with myKe luHv.  Thumbs Up The best piece of music these ears have heard in years but so worth waiting for.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 12:26:51 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this.  I read every available page and I love it - really captures Brian's voice.  I'm looking forward to getting however many copies I ordered at this point (who knows?)...
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »

I've read the available pages. The following comments apply only to the excerpts, ( maybe 1/5 of the book?) and not to the book as a whole.

The good : Brian's personality really comes through, and an attractive personality it is -- generous and  open-hearted. Not a petty bone in his body. Likely to disappoint some is his praise of Mike Love.

The bad :  it's all sweeping, big-picture stuff. Want to get a detailed, inside story of the reconciliation of Brian and Joe Thomas, which in turn led to TWGMTR? "Joe Thomas came back" is all we get.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »

Newest issue of Time had a page discussing both Brian and Bruce Springsteen's new memoirs, as well as a brief piece on The Lovester's book.

I just grabbed my husband's print copy.  Loved all the reviews.  Well done.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »

I've read the available pages. The following comments apply only to the excerpts, ( maybe 1/5 of the book?) and not to the book as a whole.

The good : Brian's personality really comes through, and an attractive personality it is -- generous and  open-hearted. Not a petty bone in his body. Likely to disappoint some is his praise of Mike Love.

The bad :  it's all sweeping, big-picture stuff. Want to get a detailed, inside story of the reconciliation of Brian and Joe Thomas, which in turn led to TWGMTR? "Joe Thomas came back" is all we get.

Yes - very Brian.  I always wonder about the assumption that we'll be unhappy if Brian praises Mike.  Why shouldn't he in various circumstances?  It's fine with me.  Many of us who get annoyed with things Mike does praise him when it's appropriate.

I'm not certain what's in the pages not yet published, but I'd seriously doubt that Brian will be talking beyond "Joe Thomas came back."  I doubt that he thinks that it matters in the end.  He knows people show up in his life when they're supposed to be there.  He misses them when they're gone, but he doesn't dwell on it.  He's obviously fond of them in any case, whether it's Mike or anyone else.  I think he's also pretty clear if they need to be there or not.  His long-time friends and associates understand it.   Those who don't understand it have other issues.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 05:12:50 AM »

There are a lot of moments where it's obvious Greenman is copying Wikipedia trivia into the book and attributing it to Wilson. For instance, the Beach Boys' version of "Talk to Me" is clearly based on the high-charting 1958 Little Willie John version, but "Brian" describes the song as an obscure Spector production. (I think I remember reading once that it was a favorite of Carl's, and that's why the song was recorded.)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »

There are a lot of moments where it's obvious Greenman is copying Wikipedia trivia into the book and attributing it to Wilson. For instance, the Beach Boys' version of "Talk to Me" is clearly based on the high-charting 1958 Little Willie John version, but "Brian" describes the song as an obscure Spector production. (I think I remember reading once that it was a favorite of Carl's, and that's why the song was recorded.)

IIRC I did read somewhere that it was Brian and Marylin's song.

Anyway:

Jean DuShon - Talk To Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYDrh62rgA

While appearing at the Roundtable in New York, Jean was spotted by Ahmet Ertegun of Atlantic Records. He was so impressed with DuShon that he took her to his company and paired her with the young Phil Spector. Spector guided DuShon through several recordings including a rehash of Little Willie John's "Talk To Me."

Little Willie John - Talk To Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQGKs7jGiI

What we can say for certain, though, is that the Beach Boys' version can't hold a candle to either recording

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 05:11:23 PM »

Just got an email from Amazon that I will be receiving Brian's book on October 11 after all, not 2 days later as it was originally.
 w00t!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 02:33:02 AM »

Probably one of many stories on the book to come over the next few weeks.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/beach-boys-icon-brian-wilson-on-faith-forgiveness-and-his-new-memoir/article32296927/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »

Just a few more days and it's here!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx