gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:12:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book Discussion Thread.  (Read 35808 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 10:06:54 PM »

I'll have the Kindle version on the day.

Guess what just auto loaded onto my Kindle? Wink
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 01:10:32 AM »

Brian while discussing the reunion.

I sometimes read in interviews that Mike wants to go into a room with me and write new material for the Beach Boys. But it's just not done that way anymore. That's a 70s idea.

Boom!  Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 01:17:14 AM »

Quote from: Brian Wilson
I sometimes read in interviews that Mike wants to go into a room with me and write new material for the Beach Boys. But it's just not done that way anymore. That's a 70s idea.
Brianism preview.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:07 AM »

Brian's book is on the Literary Festival this coming sunday in Cheltenham (west of London > direction Wales). Brian only there taped for the screen.
"The Times' rock critic, Will Hodgkinson accompanied by previously unseen archive materiel"
Will with Rock's Back Pages' editor Barney Hoskyns and Lisa Virrico.

Sunday 16/10 2016  (the last day of the festival): Brian Wilson. A Life.
Sunday Times Garden Theatre, 12:30 pm-1:30 pm. £9 + transaction fee(?). Cheltenham

www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/literature/whats-on/grid
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:01:56 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 06:44:45 AM »

Brian while discussing the reunion.

Boom!  Grin

That's myKe luHv all the way with being more than 4 decades behind the times.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »

Imho Mike tends to behave to Brian like a disgruntled possessive parent. He simply can't stand that Brian left the nest, to pursuit his own endeavours.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »

Looking forward to getting mine...hyped!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »

Imho Mike tends to behave to Brian like a disgruntled possessive parent. He simply can't stand that Brian left the nest, to pursuit his own endeavours.

And I think Brian already dealt with that one too many times
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »

It's déjà vu all over again, as they say. Barnes & Noble still haven't figured out that a biography from one of the Beach Boys might be better served by placing it on the New Releases table or in the biography section instead of solely in the Music department. Same problem I had with finding Mike's book on release day. Slackers! End of rant.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »

It's déjà vu all over again, as they say. Barnes & Noble still haven't figured out that a biography from one of the Beach Boys might be better served by placing it on the New Releases table or in the biography section instead of solely in the Music department. Same problem I had with finding Mike's book on release day. Slackers! End of rant.

Agreed. And even then, not even guaranteed to actually be IN the music book section at each store.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »

Just finished chapter 2. A great read so far and I think it is very Brian. The story a few weeks back saying he spoke to his co-writer over many months and many calls rings true. The story is all over the place but in a very good way. Chapter 2 alone covers (from memory) Hawthorne, St Charles, Kokomo (song and place) Holland, Landy, Carl's death, recording 'Surfin', his children, writing and recording many songs and albums, The Wondermints and first shows, present day in Beverly Hills...and probably much more.

Most bios I've read cover the early days till today chronologically but this is different.

A great motivational line from Ray Lawlor encouraging a nervous Brian pre-show in the early days of his solo career. I will leave it to the reader to find it themselves.

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

Yahoo!  UPS guy just dropped my book on the front porch!  Smiley

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »

w00-hoo!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »

Waiting for my shipping notice to drop...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »

Just got text for my wife...they're here! 8 hours before I get off work....

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »

As I'm casually flipping through it before I really dig in, I'm struck by how many times the words "Father" "Dad" and "Murry" pop up on nearly every page I see. Man, I think this is gonna be a heavy read.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »

Oh man. That's kind of what I expect.

How are the pictures?

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

Mostly ones we've seen, although the photo of Murry sitting next to some kind of record industry award seems new to me. The caption reads "The Great Murry Wilson" and I don't think it's meant in a sarcastic way.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »

Kindle version has a good mix at the end covering childhood to today, including the shot of the band before leaving for the  PS show in NZ this year. Most I have seen in other books or stories. 28 in total.
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »

Just finished chapter 2. A great read so far and I think it is very Brian. The story a few weeks back saying he spoke to his co-writer over many months and many calls rings true. The story is all over the place but in a very good way. Chapter 2 alone covers (from memory) Hawthorne, St Charles, Kokomo (song and place) Holland, Landy, Carl's death, recording 'Surfin', his children, writing and recording many songs and albums, The Wondermints and first shows, present day in Beverly Hills...and probably much more.

Most bios I've read cover the early days till today chronologically but this is different.

A great motivational line from Ray Lawlor encouraging a nervous Brian pre-show in the early days of his solo career. I will leave it to the reader to find it themselves.

That is because it's a memoir, not a biography. Biographies need to be more accurate and, generally, follow a chronological order, while memoirs can have more subjective, non-rigid structures.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »

Is the talented Scott Bennett mentioned in the book?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »

Is the talented Scott Bennett mentioned in the book?

I know someone said he was mentioned in an early draft that had leaked out.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 04:44:56 PM »

Scott is mentioned quite a bit. It would seem almost impossible to not mention him considering the extent of their collaboration.

I'm still reeling from all the stuff about Murry. Brian goes in depth about the famous letter. He says it was like his father poured out everything good and bad, right and wrong about himself. He says maybe that letter is Murry's SMiLE. Wow! This book is rich with insight into Brian.
Make no mistake, this man loves his father dearly despite everything. I'm sensing some kind of closure here which can only be a good thing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »

He's also included in the acknowledgements.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2016, 09:58:49 AM »

Book is incredible so far.  Some really great insight.  His sense of humor shines thoughout.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx