gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:54:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book Discussion Thread.  (Read 35659 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »

I love the fact Brian thinks Al's best vocal is on The Beaks of Eagles. I totally agree!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2016, 12:03:53 PM »

I am getting a bit of whiplash about the cause of Brian's partial deafness. In Love and Mercy, it was caused by Murry. In the book, it's a kid named Seymour. And in a recent interview, Brian says he was born partially deaf.

We need a congressional inquiry! Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »

I love that track. Actually, the whole suite is awesome, especially that piano part.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »

I am getting a bit of whiplash about the cause of Brian's partial deafness. In Love and Mercy, it was caused by Murry. In the book, it's a kid named Seymour. And in a recent interview, Brian says he was born partially deaf.

According to Becoming The Beach Boys, Audree Wilson noticed something wrong with Brian's hearing when he was 11 and he told her that something happened when he was 10, someone whacked him on the head or something...
And I'm sure there are still other versions around.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »

I was just about to bring up Audree's story...great minds think alike!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »

Just got back from some lengthy air travel and skimmed both Mike's and Brian's  books in airport bookstores.  didn't  buy either but instead bought a bio on the life of John Updike.  I wanted, no hungered, for something I hadn't heard or read.   Brian's book seemed mildly compelling but a bit thin, if you know what I mean.  Might pick it up later on discount.   
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:09 AM »

Here is a review written by Paul Gleason, well worth reading:

http://stereoembersmagazine.com/love-mercy-review-brian-wilson-memoir-brian-wilson-ben-greenman/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »

A superb, intelligent read. Thanks, GF.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »

Read both Mike's and Bri's books at B&N.  You can literally read them in about a half an hour each, if you skip the parts which are merely re-hashes of stuff you (and most other semi-serious BB fans) already know.  Mike's book is more of a history and more self-serving in its outlook.  Bri's book skips around a lot and is kind of annoying in that regard, plus somewhat self-serving in its outlook.  Favorite part was where he changed his compliment of Henley's songs from "great" to "good".  I recommend either reading them in the bookstore or getting them from the library, they are that inessential.  Mildly entertaining at best.
Gohi
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »

Read both Mike's and Bri's books at B&N.  You can literally read them in about a half an hour each, if you skip the parts which are merely re-hashes of stuff you (and most other semi-serious BB fans) already know.  Mike's book is more of a history and more self-serving in its outlook.  Bri's book skips around a lot and is kind of annoying in that regard, plus somewhat self-serving in its outlook.  Favorite part was where he changed his compliment of Henley's songs from "great" to "good".  I recommend either reading them in the bookstore or getting them from the library, they are that inessential.  Mildly entertaining at best.
I disagree with this section in particular. I loved Brian's book and I loved the way it shifted from time period to time period. To each their own.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx