-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172968 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: April 14, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »

I'd say Lebron has got a psychological edge over the entire NBA. He has in the past put the fear of god into Golden State, which he has no business doing, considering how much worse his teams have been than theirs.

This will be interesting for Cleveland, considering how different that team is than was the one that began the season. I think it's substantially better, talent-wise, and a lot more versatile. (Obviously when I say talent-wise, I mean talent as it now produces. Rose and Wade clearly WERE more talented than anyone they have now.) But considering the injuries Boston has suffered, Cleveland would be my guess. I know I said I wouldn't make picks, but if I were going to, that would be my pick from the East.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »

Wearing my circa 2005 Wizards reebok polo! Wink

Wiz ain't over until the fat lady sings....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »

Carnie?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2018, 09:00:29 AM »

LOL

You want to be the Wolves' Brian Windhorst?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »

I’d rather be their Scott Layden.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »

Do you still have David Kahn nightmares once a month?...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »

GF rocking an Embid mask?

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 12, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »

Carnie?
Grin
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 12, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »

G-State shows no signs of slowing down. Lebron will end up where???
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 15, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

G-State shows no signs of slowing down. Lebron will end up where???

No one knows, but now that Kawhi wants out (and prefers L.A.) everyone is clamoring for LeBron, Kawhi, and either Paul George or Chris Paul to join the Lakers.

I'm really getting tired of all this joining up. Ideally, the top 30 players in the league would be on 30 different teams (and certainly the top 15 or 10 or 5 or 3 would be on different teams!). People have actually talked about LeBron joining GS. GS!!! I know most people dismiss that scenario, but that's how turned around the NBA is. I know there have been superteams throughout NBA history and the ratings are up, but I honestly believe the NBA has a problem and they need to address it. Would ditching the max contract limitation help? Perhaps the novelty of these superteams putting up historic stats will wear off and people will realize that it's not as impressive (or ENTERTAINING) when your starting lineup doubles as the ALL-NBA team.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »

Lebron: I think Cleveland and LAL are the most likely scenarios.

• Philadelphia was a sexy pick for a while, but I think for the good of the future of the franchise, they shouldn't go that route. Ben Simmons is a ball-dominant, generally non-shooter. Adding the equally (more?) ball-dominant Lebron James doesn't make a lot of sense, and while Lebron has become a pretty good shooter, he's far too good a creator to use off the ball in a spot-up shooting role or something.
  • Boston is a sexy pick in some circles now. This makes a lot more sense for some reasons, especially in that they have what it would take to work out a trade that Cleveland would find attractive (if Lebron were willing to do it as a sign-and-trade or opt in first). You could send Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier, and a pick; or maybe move Jaylen Brown. You could even (hilariously) send Kyrie, Marcus Morris, and Brown. Whatever: Boston has a lot of options. And Lebron would be REALLY interesting in that almost positionless, ball-movement offense full of creators. And speaking of...
  • Golden State. Nope. They simply don't have the money, so unless it's done as a trade it is impossible. And would the Warriors REALLY be willing to break up the core of a multiple-title team for a possibly one-year Lebron rental? You'd have to move Klay Thompson AND Draymond Green, or some such thing. That or Lebron would have to be willing to sign for an exception or minimum. Ahhhhhh no. He's not going to give up money. Nor should he be expected to.

I disagree about the problem of players controlling their own futures though. If some 22-year-old is a brilliant programmer, does anyone say he ought not go work for Apple or Google because they already have too much talent? Do we insist he go work for some Ukrainian semilegal hacker? People deserve to have some degree of control over their own lives, including their careers. The rules in the NBA (and pro sports) are already set up in a way that would be illegal in every other industry: they have been given exceptions from antitrust laws, basically.

I also disagree that it's bad for basketball. Watching Golden State is the most fun I've had in decades. The last teams that even approached them from a fun standpoint were the early '00 Sacramento teams, which weren't anywhere near as good. And I think back to those Bulls teams of the 90s and the Lakers-Celtics rivalries of the 80s very fondly. Nobody really spends much energy complaining that the 80s weren't fair. But look at the Finals: only the Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, Pistons, and Rockets made it. Twenty Finals spots were filled by a total of five teams. The Lakers and Celtics filled 13 of those 20 spots.

And it isn't as if Golden State steamrolled its way to the title. Houston had a really decent shot this year, and both NOP and SAS each stole a game. It's just that Cleveland wasn't a very good Eastern Conference representative, Lebron notwithstanding. And he played with a broken hand. I think Boston would have won at least one, if not two, games. (And that's without their two best players.)

I think we're in a new golden (no pun intended) era of NBA basketball. The players are great, some teams are great and really good, and there aren't any massive scandals going on. Yes, the players are looking at their own "personal brands" (the most annoying, overused term on earth) and business, but it's not like the gang-culture-periphery of the 90s of coke-heads of the 80s and 70s. I'll take relatively professional, well behaved players putting on a great show night in and night out anytime.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 22, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »

My Bulls are a disaster, overpaying Parker and Lavine..... Undecided

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 22, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »

Overpaid, probably. But with Parker especially it’s very low risk. I like what they’re doing.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 22, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »

Trust the process....

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 28, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »

Interesting Article.... http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24193681/zach-lowe-chicago-bulls-jabari-parker-lauri-markkanen-nba

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 28, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

Saw that. Lowe is one of the best.

I still think Chicago is building an offensive (80s?) juggernaut. Can they defend? Win? Those are questions to be answered. But as a Minnesotan, I do increasingly think the Bulls got the better of us in the Butler trade.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 28, 2018, 05:06:17 PM »

Butler needs some rest during the season, but Tibs is not that type of coach. But on the Bulls, Lari was the real deal in a Washington vs. Chicago game I attended!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 19, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »

Cap?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24733577/jimmy-butler-minnesota-timberwolves-seeking-trade-brooklyn-nets-la-clippers-new-york-knicks

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »

Been really soured on things since the end of the season, when it became obvious Thibs was still Thibs and there was a fractured locker room. A summer of rumors and mediocre draft made it worse. My hope was low by the reports of an upcoming meeting, and once it was reported they’d gone to Butler in LA to talk, I was done.

This morning I sketched out half a dozen theoretical trades. Then around noon I heard the news and felt almost relief.

But this should cost Thibs his job. He’s the one who convinced Taylor to give up A LOT for Butler, presumably because he could retain him. This huge risk was a failure and not only left Butler wanting out but KAT unhappy. Plus we’ve got a roster full of old man Bulls and virtually no young talent or financial flexibility.

Thibs reportedly wants to try to play through it, which will be REALLY cute if Butler walks and we get zilch. At least Flip got something for Love in a similar situation.

f*** Thibs. I was so wrong to be excited about him.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 19, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »

Welcome to my Chicago nightmare! Grin

Tibs talks and coaches a good game (early on) then runs the team too hard in garbage games in march...

Who would you hire to replace him?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 19, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »

Who would you hire to replace him?

KAT’s dad.

Kidding.

Kind of.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 19, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »

Get your resume ready (I remember that terrible Woopie Goldberg movie).... Wink

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 10, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »

Cap?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950981/jimmy-butler-heated-practice-timberwolves

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 10, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »

It should never have happened. For him to come in and be blatantly insubordinate to management and coaches and confront (star) players in an obvious ego trip move is just idiotic. He should be gone. And if not gone, suspended from all team activities. Why metaphorically pour poison in the team's Gatorade (especially once you've already identified and kept separate the poison)? Even though it's kind of cool in a way that he came in and dominated on a team of end-of-benchers, it's still a bullshit piece of grandstanding.

At this point I'd be happy to get anything other than long-term bad contracts.

But first and foremost I think Thibs should be gone. He should have been fired the first time there was evidence he dragged his feet on the trade request (which is probably pre-draft).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 10, 2018, 04:39:30 PM »

Ouch, this is the gar-pax bulls on steroids... The heat deal is the best one right now.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: