-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 173046 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »

Which is ABSURD. They should be fired. I'm not one to hope for people to lose their jobs, but I believe they're financially secure, so I'm not too worried about it. What they've done to dismantle that team--a conference contender not long ago!--is just terrible.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »

Exactly, and with Bears horrible 2016 season forever enshrined in that new ESPN documentary, watching the Cubs/Blackhawks are the only things keeping me sane in the Chicago sports area.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »

Yeah, you really have my sympathy. Our kids'-nuts-ripping RB was pathetic the few games he played and our to-be-star QB tore the sh*t out of his leg, while our uber-talented basketball team somehow improved by a whopping TWO GAMES when it hired one of the best coaches in basketball. So yeah ... I feel SO BAD for you!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

Hey, the Wild made the playoffs and the Twins are the Twins. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 14, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »

Too bad I couldn't give two shits about hockey or baseball.  Undecided

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 14, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »

Well, you got a GS-CLE round three in the finals to look forward to.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »

I'm excited for the playoffs, even sans the Wolves. Opening round, not all THAT excited. But even that will be pretty fun.

And it isn't long until the #1 holiday: NBA Draft.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 14, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »

NBA Draft is always fun, especially when drinking...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 14, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

I actually find that the drinking hurts it, because my attention to detail (and reality) starts to fade by the second round. And sober, I'm all about those second-round picks.

The Wolves are probably picking in the 6-8 range, which unfortunately seems--consistent with the vast majority of Wolves' history--just outside of the top tier of talent. Some people are saying Malik Monk of UK could slip, but otherwise the names I see most often are Jonathan Isaac of FSU, Lauri Markkanen of Arizona, Zach Collins of Gonzaga, and a few point guards (DeAaron Fox of UK, Dennis Smith of NC St, Frank Ntilikina of France). None of those really excite me. I'd actually prefer to see the pick and Kris Dunn (and maybe more) packaged for as good a young vet as is available. Maybe a PF, maybe another wing. (Hello, Mr. Butler, how are you today?)

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 14, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »

I forget how detail oriented you are about basketball! LOL

Gar/Pax are morons so they would take the Wolves up on an offer for Butler with no return for Chicago.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 14, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »

Shabazz Muhammad (restricted FA) for Butler, even-up.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 14, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »

Throw in Second round pick and its a go. Cry

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 14, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »

In all honestly, I would be willing to put together a pretty substantial package to get Butler--one that honestly would help Chicago rebuild, if that's what they want to do. I'd probably do Dunn, the 1st rounder, and LaVine, for example. And that's a fucking amazing package of potential, right there. It's a PG with more potential than Payne, Grant, MCW, or any of the other 500 PGs on that team; it's an immediate 20+ ppg scorer on the wings; and it's a promising piece to supplement the core through the draft. The money doesn't work except the Wolves are far enough below the cap that they could do it anyway, just by absorbing Butler's salary into their space. (Alternatively, they could include Pekovic's contract; since he's almost certainly never playing again, that's recoverable through insurance and comes off the books anyway.)

You could also create a blockbuster by making it include sign-and-trades, such as Mirotic (RFA) coming on board and something like Baz (RFA) or Dieng to Chi.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 05, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 15, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »

Warriors spurs was a good game, hope kawhi leonard isnt out for the season

Cavs and goodyear agree to sponsor the goodyear foot on the teams jerseys next year Huh  Nascar Basketball Association.. goodyears a local company though from Akron in all fairness atleadt its not Hankook... and my jeep only rides on goodyear wrangler radials Smokin

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »

Beantown wins the #1 pick in the draft and in the ECF Shocked 

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 07, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »

The Cap go scouting overseas? Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 07, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

No, it's just st been the kind of real-life spring and summer that makes reading whiny fan feuds an unnecessary annoyance (to say nothing of participating).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

Gotcha, that is your excuse for hiding your creation of an ABA 2 Minnesota Team. (which is the biggest scam league ever.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Basketball_Association_(2000%E2%80%93present)

"The ABA method of handing franchises to anybody who is willing to pay the ABA franchise fee, with no consideration to whether the franchisee can afford to operate the team or not, resulted in over 200 folded franchises as of the beginning of the 2008 season.[22] As of summer 2014, the number was over 350."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:30:20 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »

No ohio teams?

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »

No, it's just st been the kind of real-life spring and summer that makes reading whiny fan feuds an unnecessary annoyance (to say nothing of participating).
You think Wiggins is getting the max deal?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 11, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »

Yes.

(Edit: OK, I decided I could elaborate.)

The Wolves are relatively desperate to make the playoffs in the near-term, and obviously build a program that can win for a few years into the future. The last thing they want at this point is for Wiggins to start being in dramatic "trade me" mode. And the reality is that despite his defensive and frankly all non-scoring shortcomings, he is really good and a lot of teams would be happy to give him the max. So it's not so much about deserving it as it is about relative valuation. He'll get it. The owner has basically said so in the main local paper (which he also owns, actually...). His only comment was that while the money is all but agreed upon, he wants to talk to Wiggins first to ensure he's truly committed if he signs it, that he'll spend parts of off-seasons here, be a real community asset, etc.

Hopefully from my perspective, Jimmy Butler's work ethic and all-around game will rub off on Wiggins (who is still only 22 or something, after all), and he'll grow into more of a star as opposed to his current status as one-dimensional scorer. He should be a lockdown defender, a 5-8 rpg guy, a 3-5 apg guy, a 38-40% 3pt shooter, etc. I'd actually be happy to see him score less, like 18 pgg, if he did more besides. And with Butler and Teague on board to help KAT's (presumed) dominance, that should be doable.

I'm a little wary of the whole thing, just because these things tend not to go well for teams in general and the Wolves in particular. But there isn't much else to do. If you trade him you'll get less than he's worth because other teams don't want to trade young, super talents. Instead it would probably be a mix of proven but lesser players and picks (which have risks associated).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:32:03 PM by the captain » Logged

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »

Glen taylor's a great owner, the type of billionaire i respect, he seems so chill compared to alot of owners.
 its gonna be tough though atleast this upcoming season the west is super stacked Cry
I like how all the upcoming 'predictions' for the team(s) to beat in the western conference is GSW then HOU? LOL  they add chris paul and are the next best team in the west? GSW is on fire they'll sweep them.
 Would like to see your timberwolves get an 8th seed and face GSW in the first round

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

If the Wolves were the 8 seed, I think the state would be pretty depressed. After the Butler trade, and then even more the Teague, Gibson, and Crawford signings, nobody would be happy with 8 seed. I think 3-6 is what the expected range is.

As for Houston, I'm curious how that works. Paul is obviously, hugely ball dominant. And Harden has become among the most ball-dominant players in the league since moving to Houston. It'll be tough to imagine those two being happy together. Nobody is a Lamar Odom, a Toni Kukoc, a Scottie Pippen. They both want the ball every possession.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »

3-6 Wink i would be very surprised if 3rd but anything can happen., Now if houston can get melo that would be interesting

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: