-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172963 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 16, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »

Cap you awake?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 16, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »

Yessir, why do you ask?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 16, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »

Watching the tourney tonight?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 16, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »

Meh. Once Gophs lost I lost (interest) for the time being. Also, bracket was perfect until them. Assholes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 17, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

VCU is out.... Cry

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »

Whats up with durant? Online says he'll be ready by playoffs yet other 'sources' say he's done for season Huh 

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »

I would say the reality isn't known yet, and "sources" aren't trustworthy because the unknown future can't be reported on...

If he's healthy enough to play well, I suspect he'll play some in the playoffs. But if he's a shell of himself, or risking further injury, there is no sense in him risking anything. Especially since he can be a FA again this offseason, if I'm not mistaken. There is no sense coming back at 50%, looking mediocre, and losing anyway. (Though actually G.S. with a 50% Durant might be good enough to win it all.)

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 02, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

Thats why im banned from bleacherreport for calling out hack writers who post BS lies to get views. thats the downside of internet and sports together, toooo many rumors
Cavs on now ready for the playoffs to start

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »

Rondo came back from the dead....

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 09, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »

Hard not to look good compared to MCW and Jerian Grant and Cam Payne. Not to mention the guy is going to be released this summer and is doing a little tryout for the other teams.

That said he's going to have a really rough future because he still just can't shoot. In the modern NBA, if you can't shoot and you're a guard, you're far from a star, and probably not even a starter. Theoretically he could be surrounded with shooters and be at least productive--and if he applies himself again the way he once did, he's a very good defender and rebounder (and absolutely a genius passer). But when you're running pick and rolls, as every NBA team does almost constantly, it's tough if you're not a threat to shoot.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »

Agreed, if you can't even stay with Sac you are screwed. Brooklyn to tank next year or overseas are his only options.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 09, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »

I actually think his best option would be finding some shooter-loaded playoff team that wants him as a backup, assuming he's willing to accept that role. He is a terrible fit for bad teams because, whatever else he has been in recent years, he is a winner. Even his little social media tantrum earlier this year was in the interest of winning. But as I said earlier, he can't be a starter, realistically, on a decent team. He's just not as good as he used to be. (Not only was the NBA different in his heyday, but he was different, pre-injury: he was a freak athlete.)

But should his attitude come around, he could be a backup somewhere like Houston, where they could surround him with Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and Ryan Anderson or something, and with all that spacing he could still be an offensive threat in terms of getting to the hoop, even without a jumpshot.

It's really up to him. Otherwise, he's f***ed. The only teams that would let him start are terrible ... and even they might not. Think about it. Brooklyn has Lin under contract. He's burned his Sacramento bridge. LAL has young guards. Philly needs a guard but will want a shooter to complement Simmons. NOP has Holiday, at least for now. NYK? Ugh, I guess they have no PGs on the roster, but if they're insisting on triangle he's a terrible fit. Phoenix has PGs. He really is running out of options.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 09, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

Agreed, even Golden State signed a guy like Matt Barnes and wouldn't touch Rondo. Which is a damn shame because Rondo has one of the highest basketball IQ's in the game today. Just leave the mind games at the door dammit. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

That Celtics rebuilding project seems to be what really did him in. As long as he was surrounded by a) a winning team, and b) strong-willed, productive players like KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen, his own strong personality was not an issue. But when he's surrounded by losing buffoons, he looks around and rightly says "f*** this, I'm the smartest guy in the room: we're doing it my way."

Unfortunately, true or not, that's not how a program functions.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 09, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »

That is not how a program functions, the big three of Boston knew their limits. Rondo not so much.....

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 09, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

I have resorted to rooting against the Knicks in hopes of a better draft pick. With a little luck we could net a top 5 pick. Seriously, every night i check the box score hoping for a loss! They actually won 3 out of 5 recently  Wall. Anyway...

I read this article a few weeks ago and thought it was worth posting...https://16winsaring.com/history-suggests-mike-dantoni-will-win-coach-of-the-year-4d560efc3fc

It has some nice stats about recent COY winners. Excluding the '11-'12 lockout season, COY winner's teams averaged preseason O/U of 45 wins. They ended up winning an average of 59 games. It's not shocking in the least that the stats follow this good-to-great pattern, but I still found it interesting. Particularly, the differential rank among winners. I really only skimmed the text, so I can't attest to his analysis. I was really just interested in the numbers and thought some of you may be too. By the way, the article was published March 24th but the projected differentials are still quite accurate.

Coach Of The Year predictions?

Whenever I think about this I seem to focus on 7 coaches...
Western Conference: D'Antoni, Popovich, Kerr, Snyder.
Eastern Conference: Stevens, Spoelstra, Brooks.

At the mid-point of the season the Heat were 11-30. They are current 39-41 and may make the playoffs. I'm a big Spoelstra fan, but as incredible of a job that he has done, the season starts in November not mid-January. Stevens will probably get overlooked because his team isn't overachieving, but I really started to consider him as a possible winner when BOS overtook CLE for the #1 spot momentarily. I think that's probably what it would take for him to win COY. But hey, they're only a 1/2 game out! Similarly, people were high on Utah, so they aren't perceived to be overachieving. Still, a hell of a job. Kerr won't get any sympathy, but Durant has been out and they may still win 68 games! Popovich has had a great year with one great player. Another 60+ win season. And if he were to win that would be 4, which I believe has never been done. D'Antoni will probably win the COY. He has exceeded expectations more than the other coaches. Houston is having a great year. I think he deserves it, but not necessarily more than Popovich or Kerr, or possibly even Stevens, but not less, either. Personally, I'd like to see D'Antoni or Popovich win it, but those are just my biased thoughts. What do you guys think?

MVP?
Westbrook or Harden or co-MVPs

All year I felt like Harden had the edge, but I'm not so sure anymore. OKC will win between 45-48 games, that may just be enough to honor the incredible 31-10-10 (and that's rounding down LOL) season Westbrook has had. Honestly, I wouldn't mind co-MVPs, though it seems like a cop-out. There have been numerous co-ROY winners.

I think Kawhi should finish 3rd, ahead of LBJ.

Does Kawhi win Defensive Player of the Year again?
I think so.

This has been a lost season for me, but I'm really looking forward to watching some basketball once the playoffs start!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 09, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »

For the Knicks, I'd be hoping for a Jackson exit first and foremost! I'd hate to imagine them winning the lottery and getting, say, Markelle Fultz, only to cram him into the triangle. But I'm right there with you about cheering for my own team to lose. The Wolves went on a nice little streak of wins just after they were out of the playoffs. C'mon, coach, do KAT and Wig really need 37-40 mpg at this point of this season?

Re COY, you named the guys I'd consider. I think the best coaches--regardless of this year's rosters or anything--are Pop, Stevens, and Spoelstra. D'Antoni has done an amazing job this year, and Kerr is obviously doing really well, too. (I think Luke Walton is doing a heck of a job, too, actually. Ditto Jason Kidd.) I think I'd go with Spoelstra because that roster is garbage and since that awful start, he's had them doing great things. Pop and D'Antoni would be next up on my list for this season.

Re POY ... I'm torn. Frankly if Durant hadn't missed so many games I'd have him right in the competition as well. Westbrook, Harden, Leonard, James, Durant, probably in that order for me. But so many guys played so well this year. Great season.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 09, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »

Too bad CLE @ MIA tmw isnt on national TV. CLE lost in ATL today. Were up 26 after 3 quarters! Starters played huge minutes. BOS got a win lined up against Nets.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 09, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »

Didn't CLE just lose to Atlanta the other day, too? Wow, I wonder what that's about. Clearly, playing the Big 3 40+ minutes apiece, it wasn't as if they weren't trying to win the game. Just bad matchups?

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »

That's right, they've lost to ATL back-to-back. Obviously, it hurts that Tristan is out, but the Hawk's bench won those two games (on paper, anyway). Also, Atlanta won the 3 in the first game. Cavs are in a position now where they can't afford to rest guys. They're home against TOR in their final game (not on national TV either). Makes for an interesting close to the regular season and a potential playoff matchup. I sometimes wonder if T. Lue is the right fit for the Cavs...the playoffs are getting close, I can feel it!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »

To me, the Cavs' biggest issue is having kowtowed too much to Lebron's desire for a roster full of trusted vets. They basically sliced off their pipeline of younger talent by spending as much as possible on their core and then supplementing the roster the past few years with the guys like JR Smith, Iman Shumpert--those guys at the young end--and Channing Frye, James Jones, Anderson Varejao, Chris Andersen, Richard Jefferson, Dahntay Jones, Mo Williams, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller, Kendrick Perkins...

I realize that superstars hunting titles want old heads. That makes sense, too. You don't want Lebron surrounded with Dion Waiters and Anthony Bennett. But conversely, the GM has to maintain some balance to the roster to perpetuate success. San Antonio has been the much-lauded example of that, of course, by having at various times brought in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili (yes, once young!), Danny Green, George Hill, Patty Mills, Tiago Splitter, Kawhi Leonard, and even some of the current younger guys like Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Bryn Forbes, etc., though we have to see how well they do over time.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 13, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »

Bulls made the playoffs...

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 13, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »

Bulls made the playoffs...

I was kind of rooting for the Heat to make it these last few games. I watched some of the Pacers-Hawks last night hoping for a Pacer loss, which would have moved the Bulls up to 7th and the Heat to 8th. At this point, who would you have preferred to face as a Bulls fan, Celtics or Cavs? Cavs have been terrible defensively (since all-star break) and have developed some bad habits (lack of focus; turnovers). The Heat, Bulls, and Pacers were playing for their playoff lives and all three opponents were sitting their guys! I get it, but it doesn't make great TV.

So much for my comment about the Cavs being in a position where they couldn't rest their guys. Although, in my defense I took Lue at his word (he had said a week earlier that he wasn't going to rest his players until they clinched). You'd like to think that being the #1 seed means something to them, but it obviously doesn't. With that said, I don't think having home court advantage is necessarily a big deal. Still, it sure doesn't hurt.

Random thoughts on the playoffs...

-Rockets/Thunder should be entertaining
-I'd like to see the Jazz defeat the Clippers
-I think the Cavs are vulnerable. I can see numerous teams giving them trouble in the East
-I'll be watching all the Spurs games and hoping they win it all
-Really looking forward to this weekend, and watching some teams I haven't paid close attention to this season

Btw, Captain, I noticed Windhorst has KAT All-NBA 3rd team. Agree?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 14, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »

I don't know about KAT as an all-NBA player. I mean, his performance was fantastic, no question about that--especially the second half of the year. But to make an all-NBA team, I'd like to see more than 31 wins...

TOTALLY agree on Jazz/Clippers. I hate, hate, hate the Clippers. I'm actually hoping that despite Doc's repeated proclamations otherwise, they blow it up. With a few key free agents, they would REALLY have to tie their own hands for years to come to keep the team together. Do you really want to do that with a core that's never made the conference finals? My comments about the Cavs' lack of tending to the future could be said doubly for LAC. And keeping this core together would make it even worse.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:01 AM »

Well the Bulls making the playoffs lets Gar/Pax keep their jobs..... Sad

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: