-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172951 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »

The biggest concern I'd have about Cleveland's chances is injuries. Lebron has been an anomaly in this league, but after that, most of their good players have histories of injuries: Irving, Love, Shumpert, Smith, and now Williams and Bogut added to the blend. That's a lot of key guys who you just can't trust to be healthy from now through a championship run. If they are healthy, a championship is certainly possible. But how many guys have to fall before that's unlikely?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »

Build a time machine and get "witness" Lebron from 2007...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »

Honestly, despite my previous post, as long as Lebron is healthy, I wouldn't rule out a title. I'd just say it's a lower chance. But he's still so good...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »

He is so damn good, closest to a perfect player in existence.  Cap, you excited? Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »

He is so damn good, closest to a perfect player in existence.

Hmm, probably could think through some arguments, but my guess is at the end of them, I'd have to agree. I think Durant would be the closest other current player to the title: a guy who can shoot (way better than Lebron), rebound and pass (neither as good as Lebron), defend, work within a team system or dominate on his own...but Lebron is so fucking strong, and not only CAN take over but HAS TAKEN over so many times... Lebron is the most perfect player there is right now. (He's one of the best ever, really. If we're talking about complete players, Jordan is probably the only guy I can think of who is in the same ballpark, because we're talking about someone who is both brilliantly skilled in as many facets of the game as possible AND brilliantly athletic, which removes Magic and Larry, for example, from the conversation.)

Cap, you excited? Cool Guy

About what, the playoffs, etc.? Not yet, but the season is heating up. Most teams are down to 20 or so games to go, so we're finally approaching that time of year when players on both teams play hard on both ends for the entirety of games. I have to say, the difference between playoff NBA basketball and regular season NBA basketball is kind of depressing, because it shows just how little many players, teams, franchises care for those first 82 games.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

I taked about Lebron's strengths today with coworkers, he is built like a power forward, shoots like a shooting guard, and runs like a point guard! Playoff basketball is built like that and Lebron's rings are proof of that!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »

Lebron James: 6-8, 250
Karl Malone: 6-9, 250

Malone was widely hailed throughout his career--especially the first two-thirds or so--as one of the best running power forwards in basketball. He was rightly praised for being in great shape and running hard and often. Despite being known for their effective halfcourt sets, the Jazz in general and Malone specifically ran when the opportunity presented itself, or rather, when they created the opportunities.

Lebron James is the same size as Malone, more or less, and he is not the fastest or best running big forward. He's a SMALL forward, first of all, but more importantly, he's one of the fastest players in the league, period. He's unbelievable in his speed. His leaping ability is--and certainly was, anyway--up there with the better wing players of all time, the Jordans and Drexlers. He's as strong as the strong players, as fast as the fast players, and as skilled as the skill players. Oh, and to top it off, as smart as the smart players. Sometimes people get bored with him being the greatest player of his time and want to say what's wrong with him, but let's be serious, here. There has never been a player like him, first of all. He has won titles for two franchises. He has dominated international competition. He was the best player on his team by far as a teenager, and he's the best player on his team by far as a thirty-something.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 04, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

Agreed Cap! I only take Jordan (as a Bulls fan homer) over him!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 04, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »

I take a similar view on GOATs with players as I do with bands or albums: at a certain point, it's a silly argument. There may be tiers of sorts, but there isn't a real ranking, and even the tiers arguments take into account different criteria.

So basically I think there are a dozen or two dozen GOATs. And Lebron is one of them. But whether he's the best, he's certainly a singular talent.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »

Like Pistol Pete in my own category!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 05, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »

Going to the wizards game today!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 05, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »

Nice, the new and improved Wizards. I think Bogdanovic and Jennings were great additions for them: two more scoring options; another shooter in Bogdanovic; another creator in Jennings at that badly needed upgrade at backup point guard. And with Orlando the opponent, it's a pretty good shot at seeing a victory, too.  Have a good time.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 05, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »

Thanks Cap, you want a souvenir from the  team store?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 05, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »

lol that's ok. My interest in basketball is pretty much the basketball, kind of like how all I like about music is music. Collectibles, autographs, etc., have never really been my thing.

Well, not since circa 1985-90, when I'd go to Vikings training camp and stalk the players for dozens of duplicative autographs. Rick Fenney, you came to know me well!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 05, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »

Those were the days! LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 05, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »

Now that I remember it, I saw Brandon Jennings in high school score 61 points!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 05, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »

When he was at Oak Hill? Or when he was still with his California team? Who was it against?

I saw Oak Hill play a couple of times here in Minnesota, as they've occasionally been a part of an annual day of games at Target Center featuring top Minnesota teams playing against assorted, good regional or national teams. Sadly it wasn't ever one of the best Oak Hill teams. DeSagana Diop and Steve Blake were the best players they ever had in terms of eventual pro production, though there were basically full rosters of D1 guys each time: Travis Watson, Ron Slay, Rashad Carruth, Billy Edelin, Abdou Diame, Antwayne Robinson, etc.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 05, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »

Oak Hill!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 05, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »

My seats are in the middle of a kids birthday party, lord help me! Undecided

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 05, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »

Great comeback from the wizards!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 05, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »

another shooter in Bogdanovic;

Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 05, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »

True that! More than complemented  Beal and iffy night from wall...

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 05, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »

How was the music during the game? Apparently, during the 1st half of the Knicks game no music was played or any other form of in-game entertainment. Is this something that other teams have done in recent years? Ive never heard of it. The intent was to allow the fans to 'experience the game in its purest form'. Surprised the Knicks were willing to spotlight their product on the floor like that. Or perhaps they were trying to further endear themselves to potential free agents. I actually think it's a cool idea (even if it's just a one-off). It would have been interesting to be there. Draymond Green said it was 'pathetic' and 'completely disrespectful' LOL As a player (I'm trying to think way back to my playing days), I think it's more intense without the distractions. It's more intimate. I dont attend many games and have only been to MSG once to see a Knicks game, so i can't really comment on that experience. I just try to tune all that stuff out though. I just enjoy the game itself.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2017, 05:32:14 AM »

Yeah the league needs to adopt that Knicks experiment full time! Cool Guy

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2017, 05:37:14 AM »

Yeah the league needs to adopt that Knicks experiment full time! Cool Guy

Please yes. Never happen, but damn it would be fantastic.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: