-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172940 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 24, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »

I can't say the same about Robert Swift, what sad story about him going pro too early and ending up homeless.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »

No question. While we have Lebron, KG, McGrady, Kobe, Jermaine O'Neal, and even down to the Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Lou Williams types on one hand, there is the sad other end of the spectrum with HS-to-pro guys. Swift definitely falls down there with Korleone Young, Leon Smith, and others as the unfortunate ones.

That said, I'd actually undo the ban of high schoolers. I think the NBA should allow any otherwise eligible adult who wants to enter into a contract with a team--assuming the feeling is mutual, of course--to be allowed into the league. The NCAA, if it were smart, would be the side instituting any restrictions, as its their product that gets hurt by early entrants. However, I'm not entirely sure how they could, in that by definition, the early entrants are leaving the NCAA. (What are you going to do, declare somebody who declares for the draft ineligible? Who cares?)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:16 AM »

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, my favorite Lebron sidekick!
Surfrapgrungefiend, where you at?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Authentic-Zydrunas-Ilgauskas-HWC-Soul-Swingman-NBA-Cavs-Jersey-S-36-Lebron-/252662187004?hash=item3ad3d703fc:g:LJYAAOSwM4xXawDj

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 25, 2017, 04:09:50 AM »

Holy sh*t! Magic made quick work of his coup since being hired as a consultant last week.

The Los Angeles Lakers have shaken up their front office, promoting team legend Magic Johnson to president of basketball operations and firing general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss.

"Today I took a series of actions I believe will return the Lakers to the heights Dr. Jerry Buss demanded and our fans rightly expect," team governor Jeanie Buss said in a statement. "Effective immediately, Earvin Johnson will be in charge of all basketball operations and will report directly to me. Our search for a new General Manager to work with Earvin and Coach Luke Walton is well underway and we hope to announce a new General Manager in short order. Together, Earvin, Luke and our new General Manager will establish the foundation for the next generation of Los Angeles Lakers greatness."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18734012/los-angeles-lakers-put-magic-johnson-charge-fire-mitch-kupchak-jim-buss

Next, they'll be bringing in Kobe, Jerry West, and Phil Jackson (after he leaves NY, because he's been a clown show since he's been there).

I kinda though a Jackson/Rubio swap would happen; I never realized how much Rubio has fallen out of favor with Thibs (at least that's all I heard for the last week). Detroit was asking a lot for him though, something like a first rounder, a good young player, and an expiring contract. And of course the report that Sacramento didn't agree to a decent Drummond/Cousins trade...which proves that the Kings are a sh*t show, especially considering what they got for Cousins instead. Vlade's not only a flopper on the court, but he's a flop as an executive. I'd take Cousins and build around him; Detroit would move right up to the upper tier automatically.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »

Granted, this is not 2017, but 40 years ago today.
I was at the Superdome on the night of February 25, 1977, when Pete Maravich put on a clinic against the New York Knicks.
68 points, when there was no 3 point shot in the NBA yet.

If interested here's a link to see him at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kDYqngdd7E

Note: the video quality is terrible, but it's a minor miracle that there's any video of this at all, as most NBA teams at the time didn't televise all their road games, much less any home games.  The Jazz, for example, didn't televise any home games and only a handful of road games.  For this video it's fortunate that this was against the Knicks, which did televise their road games. I remember seeing their cameras at their games here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:13:16 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 25, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »

That's great that you got to see the Pistol live! He was always an object of fascination for me: his dazzling skills; his seeming inability to lead a winning team; his interesting back-story, relationship to his dad, training as a kid, etc. He truly was one of the most skilled players of all time--there's no doubt about it. Ball-handling, passing, shooting, he could do any of it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 26, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »

Granted, this is not 2017, but 40 years ago today.
I was at the Superdome on the night of February 25, 1977, when Pete Maravich put on a clinic against the New York Knicks.
68 points, when there was no 3 point shot in the NBA yet.

If interested here's a link to see him at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kDYqngdd7E

Note: the video quality is terrible, but it's a minor miracle that there's any video of this at all, as most NBA teams at the time didn't televise all their road games, much less any home games.  The Jazz, for example, didn't televise any home games and only a handful of road games.  For this video it's fortunate that this was against the Knicks, which did televise their road games. I remember seeing their cameras at their games here.
Cool! My dad saw him in Cleveland around that same time.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2017, 06:08:18 AM »

NYK waive Brandon Jennings.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2017, 03:27:31 AM »

Seems like the warriors and cavs have turned the NBA into a two team league with them taking all the veteran players..... Roll Eyes

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2017, 04:31:19 AM »

Were you clamoring for Jose Calderon or Andrew Bogut? The Heat and Celtics did the same thing in their heydays...and it didn't always work.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:19:22 AM by the captain » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2017, 04:41:47 AM »

True that, just frustrated that the parity of the league seems low these days. Though KD is injured and Matt Barnes was signed....

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2017, 05:21:06 AM »

It's just the way the league works. Contending teams don't want to f*** around with 20-year-old projects, so they inevitably stock up on available vets who, conveniently enough, tend to be chasing championships as opposed to being interested in fucking around with teams working on the aforementioned 20-year-old projects. But sometimes teams try it and just end up older. The Heat really struggled by overdoing it at times, for example.

Real shame about KD. Still the favorite in the west, I'd think, though.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2017, 05:44:51 AM »

Quite the different warriors franchise for Barnes...,

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »

Cool throwback jersey https://www.mitchellandness.com/1995-96-authentic-jersey-kevin-garnett-minnesota-timberwolves-316-7226

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2017, 06:19:56 AM »

Quite the different warriors franchise for Barnes...,

I'm not a Barnes fan at all and hate to imagine the headaches a combination of him and Draymond might cause the team.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2017, 06:21:43 AM »

Rock-em, sock-em robots?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »

Joel Embiid, officially out for the year. Hopefully it's not actually any serious hint as to the severity of his injury issues, but rather a) an overabundance of caution; b) The Process continues!; and/or c) an effort to really boost Okafor's trade value before the draft so they can solve that problem this offseason.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »

You never know with philly....

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »

So ... is Dario Saric going to end up ROY? His season averages are just about 11 ppg and 6 rpg, but he has been improving all season. In February's dozen or so games, he averaged 17 ppg, 7.9 rpg and 2.8 apg. His shooting percentage from the floor is OK (44%) and the line is good (78%), though not really so much from 3 (25%). He would figure prominently in these final two dozen games, one would think, so those averages could climb.

It has been such a bad rookie class overall in terms of immediate production, and especially with Embiid's season done with only 31 games played, it's hard to give him the award.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2017, 01:00:23 PM »

Yikes, slim pickings for sure. Your choice if you could vote?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »

To say nothing of future prospects--which is an entirely different situation--and if Embiid is indeed out of the picture, there are really only two candidates left: Saric and Malcolm Brogdon of Milwaukee. Brogdon is playing for a better team, so in a way that might mean more. He has really stepped in and produced at a reasonably high level.

For long-term prospects, I think plenty of the guys in this class will be just fine. The aforementioned three, of course, but I think we'll see good careers out of Dragan Bender, Kris Dunn, Jamaal Murray, Buddy Hield, both Hernangomez brothers, Brandon Ingram, Nicolo Brussino, Alex Abrines, Caris LeVert, Thon Maker, Wade Baldwin, Dejounte Murray ... I think there will be a good stockpile of role players/rotation players. But not a lot of stars, and this season at least has not been impressive.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »

I will take Brogdon.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2017, 06:03:13 AM »

Looks like KD is out until the playoffs at the earliest....

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »

Almost 14 years after being drafted (2nd round, LAC), Sofocles "Baby Shaq" Schortsanitis, center from Greece, makes an NBA roster (Philadelphia). This must be the longest ever span between being drafted and joining the league! Unless maybe Sabonis was longer? One moment...

Nope, Baby Shaq is longer: Sabonis was drafted in '86 and joined the league in '95.

But Sabonis was a great, great player (even in his waning years). Schortsanitis has been a solid role player in Euroleague.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

Cousins and that organization in Sac. were match made in hell. A malcontent player as the only "star" on a smaller market franchise that nearly moved away before the NBA forced the team to a nobody owner who thought he knew the game after coaching preteen girls.
I supported the stay in sacramento, great fans and city. Steve ballmer was never going to get the approval to move to seattle which is a fiasco itself, thats why he bought the clippers for 2 billion dollars Huh Overpaid dearly

Bogut should be in uniform tonight, Cavs set 3 point record last night in ATL. With the exception of last years team this roster is crazy ..
Not that long ago the starting 5 was antawn jamison, mo williams, alonzo gee, daniel gibson and semih erden and just about every d-league player there was from 2011-2014

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: