-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172973 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »

Agreed, though you should convince Ranadive to hire you to be the GM!  Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »

I'd be as happy to work for Ranadive as I'd be to coach Cousins.

But I'll tell you this, if I ever won the lottery, I'd buy a team. I don't even need an NBA team. I'd move to Croatia and buy KK Zagreb or something. I worked as an intern during college for the St. Paul SLAM! (yes, that was their name, caps and exclamation and all), a VERY-minor-league team in our fine state's capital. That, an unpaid gig, was the greatest job ever. The owner was rich, so prior to establishing a real office, we all just worked in his mansion talking basketball all the time. My real job was PR and media stuff, but once the coaching staff knew I had reasonable basketball knowledge, I got to participate in actual conversations about players. Not as a decision-maker or anything, but just another ideas guy, someone to ask as we scoured the universe for potential players. (I mean literally, the way guys came and went to other minor leagues, overseas, etc., we were constantly just trying to think of who existed on earth who could fit Need X.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »

Nice, that is cool you actually worked in the minors of basketball. Could you expand the team's Wikipedia page?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul_Slam!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

Hang on, about to hop on a conference call. (Stupid work always interrupts.) After that, while I will not be contributing to the Wiki page, I may think of a tale or two.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »

Conference call with Ranadive? Grin

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »

That internship sounds like a blast, Captain. So, if you had the Wolves' ear, what would you have to say about this Rubio/Rose swap with NY? The way I hear it, the Wolves approached the Knicks about Rose. I, for one, would love to get Rubio! I have a feeling you're hoping this rumor is unfounded? My hope for the Knicks has finally evaporated, so I doubt we'll get Rubio or move Melo.

I agree about Cousins. Not worth the hassle. Addition by subtraction. It's not like they've won anything with him... It is interesting that the Pelicans now have both Anthony Davis and Cousins on the same roster. I am curious to see how that unfolds. Will they stay long-term?

I haven't been participating in this thread lately because after watching nearly every minute of the Knicks first 29 games, I haven't watched a minute of the past 28. It's odd for me to lose interest like that, but could my timing have been better? The Knicks started out 16-13, only to go 7-21 since. Pathetic situation. I'm just interested in Melo trade rumors at this point. I foresee him being moved this summer, although if there's any sign of Jackson being on his way out, then I could see Melo waiting him out.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »

If there is truth to the Rubio-Rose swap, I will be one unhappy man.

Despite being a HUGE fan of his since he was 14 years old, I will admit that he had a very, very rough start to the season. But if you just look at him since the new year (though he actually started playing well a week or two before that), Rubio has been playing inspired basketball. More specifically, about 10 ppg on 40% FG and 88% FT, 10 apg, about 3.4 rpg. He gets a steal or two a game. He plays really good defense. And most of all, his leadership on the court is just phenomenal: if you don't watch the games, you can't understand this. But his bad shooting is--as long as he is confident and TAKES open shots, even if he misses--overshadowed by that leadership. He makes things so easy for Wiggins, Towns, LaVine, Dieng, Muhammad, etc. I have rarely seen as good a leader and teammate on the court, and I have watched a LOT of basketball in my life.

Right now, Kris Dunn isn't just not better, he's not half as good. I like Kris Dunn as a talent, but he's not even as good as Tyus Jones right now.

Conversely, I do understand that the team is invested in Dunn. They didn't use a top 5 pick to draft a long-term backup. And Rubio has been playing so well that (after the exact opposite situation to start the season), his value may not go higher than it is now as long as he's on this team (with a franchise-selected replacement on the roster, etc.).

But for Rose? Mostly irrelevant for this season, since we're not making the playoffs anyway. (If we were to re-sign Rose, I'd quit being a fan. That's it.) But that means next year we're committed to a pair of guys who have not proven themselves to be better than backup quality, and in Dunn's case, just barely that. So I would sure hope Thibs knows more than I do. (OK, obviously he does, so that was stupid to say.) I would also expect we get something more than just Derek Rose out of such a trade, considering we'd be giving up a guy locked up for a couple years for a couple-month rental of a broken-down Rose.

New Yorkers would love Rubio. Anthony and Porzingis would love Rubio. Brandon Jennings had a feud with Rubio back when the former was in Italy and the latter was in Spain, so there is some fun there! I can't recall the last time the Knicks had as good a passer as Rubio. David Lee was a really clever passer from the PF spot. Jason Kidd really didn't play his creative passing game anymore by the time he got there. You might have to go back to Mark Jackson in the late '80s.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

I'm not sure what it says about me, but one of my favorite guys from the Slam--I just can't type SLAM! in good conscience--was the talented, troubled combo guard Lenny Holly, who had been a highly regarded high school player before going to a JuCo, Texas Tech, and Arizona State. I think he actually declared early, too, though I'm not sure of that. Anyway, I was thrilled that a guy of that talent landed on the Slam. Well, things didn't end well for Lenny.  He's doing time for murder, tampering with evidence, and racketeering. Whoops. (The story incorrectly states his minor league team as the New Mexico Slam.)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=1721732

I guess it's telling that Lloyd Daniels is one of my favorite players of all time, though...

Another Slam notable? How about Bo Kimble! When the losses began to pile up and the team wanted more outside shooting, they made the somewhat dramatic (by IBL standards) moves to sign the former Clippers lottery pick and Loyola Marymount star. Talk about your stock taking a hit! Only about seven years from being a lottery pick, he was not even in a foreign or minor league, but a MINOR minor league.

Our other higher profile players throughout that first season included point guards Porter Roberts (Purdue) and Frank Seckar (Vanderbilt); combos Holly and Melvin Newbern (Minnesota); wings Kimble, Nate Tubbs (Minnesota), Randy Rutherford (Oklahome State), Vaughn Jones (George Washington); and bigs Will Cunningham (Temple) and Sammie Haley (Missouri). Some of our better players weren't the major-college guys, though. James Walker, I think of South Florida (?), was like a poor man's Barkley at this level. He was about 6'6" but just powerful as hell, and a hard worker. You could tell the guy was trying to make a living. [First name?] Myers was about 6-9 and could really shoot, a stretch 4 back when nobody wanted them. There was another off-guard whose name I'm ashamed to say I have totally forgotten who was the prototypical minor league lifer: maybe about 6-2, 6-3, but a wing player in his game. It was effective as hell, he could do everything as a scorer. But what kind of future do you have if you're like 26 years old, 6-2 or 6-3, and can't play the point?

The biggest issue the team had in my opinion was that the league wasn't a minor league trying to develop talent for the big leagues; it was a minor league trying to sell tickets. So often, the younger, more promising prospects I was so enamored with at the time were passed over or thrown aside for guys with local ties who might sell tickets, or lifers who could win (meaningless) games. But it was so much fun. And quite an education.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »

By the way, somewhere I believe I've got a folder--literally a paper one, I mean--full of assorted old bios, stories, clippings, stats, etc., of the Slam. If I can find it, perhaps I'll have something interesting to say. Otherwise, suffice to say it was a basketball geek's dream job (and sheer boredom to any normal person).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »

That is quite the minor league story with those troubled vets and young nobody players in a tiny league. What was the owner like and why did the team fold?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

What was the owner like and why did the team fold?

The owner was mostly hands-off, from what I recall (other than letting us work out of his turn-of-the-century mansion). He was outspending other teams in terms of salary in that first year, I'm sure: I know those names I listed might not look like much, but most teams had 0-2 "power five" conference players, tops. At any given time, we may have had six, seven. And we rotated through guys quickly, trying to find the right ones. But the lack of consistency really killed any chance at winning, talent or no talent.

The team didn't fold, exactly, but it did move to Rochester, Minn., where I believe it might have become a CBA team before eventually closing up shop. The worst thing was that Rochester team had two of my favorite players of the era, Syracuse's point guard Lazarus Sims and Fresno State's power forward Winfred Walton (who was a BRILLIANT talent ... Mr. Verlander might remember him, if he's old enough, as Walton was a superstar out of Michigan).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »

Holy sh*t! Magic made quick work of his coup since being hired as a consultant last week.

The Los Angeles Lakers have shaken up their front office, promoting team legend Magic Johnson to president of basketball operations and firing general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss.

"Today I took a series of actions I believe will return the Lakers to the heights Dr. Jerry Buss demanded and our fans rightly expect," team governor Jeanie Buss said in a statement. "Effective immediately, Earvin Johnson will be in charge of all basketball operations and will report directly to me. Our search for a new General Manager to work with Earvin and Coach Luke Walton is well underway and we hope to announce a new General Manager in short order. Together, Earvin, Luke and our new General Manager will establish the foundation for the next generation of Los Angeles Lakers greatness."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18734012/los-angeles-lakers-put-magic-johnson-charge-fire-mitch-kupchak-jim-buss

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »

2nd best holiday of the year (after draft day)!

Philly and Dallas kicked it off, who's next. Word is wolves are determined to move Baz and are still shopping Rubio.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »

Got your popcorn out at the office? Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »

No but I had the Vertical's live stream to keep up on any Woj bombs. Sadly a quiet deadline.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 23, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »

*yawn* Celtics dropped the ball....

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 23, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18750420/chicago-bulls-trade-taj-gibson-doug-mcdermott-oklahoma-city-thunder

Damn shame the Bulls couldn't develop these guys...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »

Re the Celtics, I don't think they dropped the ball ... they just made life boring for us. (That Brooklyn pick could be the #1, but even if it's top 3, it's really good.)

As for the Bulls, wow. I mean, Payne has occasionally looked OK, but he's mostly just been hurt. Morrow can shoot, but he's worse and older than McDermott. And Lauvergne is promising, but the Bulls already have a glut of young PFs even with Gibson gone. Somehow I doubt Jimmy Butler is feeling placated.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: February 24, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »

I'll gladly talk 76ers--or any team!--all and every day. Speaking of whom they are truly about to turn the corner. "The process" is about to bear fruit. Ben Simmons is a genius, and Joel Embiid is great. Brett Brown is easily the best coach the team has had since Larry of the same name. I love that team's future.

Just announced that Ben Simmons is out for the season. I saw this article with the pathetic stat how this is the 5th straight season a key player has missed the season for the Sixers.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/24/14725984/ben-simmons-injury-76ers-history-joel-embiid-nerlens-noel-andrew-bynum

It is either the bad luck of some teams, or something else, but so much of winning and building a winning team in any sport is having your key players available to play.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »

I wonder whether the "setback" was truly legitimate or an overabundance of caution. I understand them being cautious with him, but I'd like to have seen him get his feet wet, anyway, if possible.

That said, the team seems at least finally on its way to respectability ... though I worry a lot about Embiid. As brilliant a player as he's been, big men with injury problems--especially leg and foot injury problems--very rarely become every-day, full-minutes players again. Whether we're talking Sam Bowie, Arvydas Sabonis, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, or Andrew Bynum, the trend is the same. The sad reality seems to be that people who are 6-10 or more, who are 275 pounds or more, just aren't typically built to be running, cutting, an jumping so much. Once something tears or breaks, especially, the stress seems to be too much.

The best recovery example I can think of is Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who had terrible issues prior to being drafted but eventually was able not only to play, but play pretty solid minutes for a nice, long career. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another big man who had serious injuries to his feet or knees and recovered to have a full career.

However, between Embiid and Okafor, they do seem at least to be covered (for the time being). And for what it's worth, if it ends up being Okafor who can play, at least he'll be made much better by Simmons, who is a genius passing the ball.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:01 AM »

It's true. But that article was a jolt to look back on a team that has had 5 straight years of this same misfortune, and for the fans to deal with this year after year is perhaps why there is such a pessimistic outlook on the Sixers in Philly. It seems even when they do get the right pieces, or even players who can contribute and help in some way, this pattern of the last 5 years steps in to put the kibosh on those hopes for the forthcoming seasons. One time it actually did work out to some extent was when Speedy Claxton went down when the Sixers made their run to the finals, but that team was one of those special teams with or without Speedy, and he never gelled as a key player in the lineup anyway (IMO).

It is just a shame to see someone like Simmons who truly brings the skills needed to the team to go down with a foot injury, and the Philly fans are left yet again watching helplessly as a big hope for the success of the team is on the bench wearing street clothes instead of suiting up to play.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, my favorite Lebron sidekick!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »

GF2002 - I want to be sympathetic--I really do!--but as a fan of the Wolves since their inception, it's awfully hard to pity anyone else their team's misery. My franchise has only once made it out of the first round, and hasn't made the playoffs since the year we made the conference finals (12 or 13 years ago now).

SB - what, no love for Sasha Pavlovic? (Granted, I'm a Serbophile ... or more accurately, a Former Yugophile.)

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »

What about Carlos "I tricked the owner" Boozer or Luke Jackson...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »

I loved Luke Jackson as a pro prospect! (That Oregon team with Luke Ridnour and Fred Jones was really good.) He was a nice shooter, a decent athlete, good size ... I have no idea why he didn't pan out.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: