-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172955 times)
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »

1-9 with davis averaging 30 pts. Damn
Charlotte played well on sunday against the cavs i think they will make playoffs 7/8 seed
Raptors playing downtown at the Q. Demar derozan im glad no L.A. team signed him and sold out.. Its about time for  the eastern conference

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »

demar derozan, kyle lowry and terrence ross played great, torontos gonna be deadly

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »

DeRozan is truly playing out of his mind this season so far. He's always been talented, but also tended to settle for midrange and contested 2s. He's getting to the rim (almost 10 FT attempts per game), and while he still isn't really hitting 3s (26%), he is hitting a fabulous 53% on 2s, which for a guard is amazing.

The Wolves were terribly disappointing last night against Charlotte. They don't play tonight, but ESPN has a pair of games. I'll try to catch some of that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »

About 10 games in, has anything surprised you?

For me, it's the Hornets and the Lakers. Did anyone notice late last week when the Hornets were sitting atop the Eastern Conference at 6-1 (trailing only the Clippers in the West). Now that I've looked a little closer I can see they've had a favorable schedule, but still an impressive start.  So far they've beaten MIL, MIA, PHI, BKN, IND, UTAH, MIN and lost to BOS, TOR, CLE. Those TOR and CLE losses were close games and I think their next game against the 8-2 Hawks (who happen to lead the league in turnovers) will be a nice test. I haven't watched the Hornets play yet or even looked up their individual player stats, but I've been sold on Kemba since watching him in the playoffs. Based on their team stats it appears the Hornets have continuity on offense, play solid D, and take care of the ball. I notice their 5th in assists and 7th in 3s made (10.5 per game), 2nd in defense rating and defense rebounding, 5th in opps points in the paint, and 1st in turnovers. It will be interesting to see if they can continue this success.

The Lakers meanwhile beat GS by 20! Didn't see that coming, especially considering GS had already lost big to the Spurs. I thought that would have woken them up. Still GS is fine, of course. The Lakers are 3rd in FG% and ppg, 47.3% and 110. Luke Walton appears to be continuing where he left off as a head coach in the NBA. The Lakers are 7-5 and a playoff team at the moment. Does it last?

Btw captain, I'm sorry to bring up the Hornets so soon, but I've been meaning to. We both appear to be suffering a bit. When glancing at the Hornets team stats I happened to notice which two teams were the worst in defensive rating...care to guess?

Of course, stats are rather meaningless after 10 games, but what the hell?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »

Btw captain, I'm sorry to bring up the Hornets so soon, but I've been meaning to. We both appear to be suffering a bit. When glancing at the Hornets team stats I happened to notice which two teams were the worst in defensive rating...care to guess?

Of course, stats are rather meaningless after 10 games, but what the hell?

Don't worry, I'm not a freak about it. Besides, I've been watching us get 40-60 losses a year for the past decade or so, so...

I love Charlotte in a lot of ways. Kemba Walker is a prime example of a guy who isn't good enough, except yes he is. He is a winner. He did it at UConn and he's doing it again. Not big, not REALLY quick, not historically a great shooter, but he gets it done. I love him, with the right coaches and system. And on that topic, Steve Clifford is fabulous as a coach. He made a lot of mediocre defenders into a good defensive team. I like MKG A LOT. Cody Zeller is good. Nic Batum (who signed a RFA deal with the Wolves in the Kahn era) is really good. Very nice team.

Surprises ... how about James Harden being a 30-and-12 guy? He's always been a good passer, but right now he is arguably the best point guard in the league. Not bad for a shooting guard. Thanks, D'Antoni!

Pivoting from Houston, how about (ex-Houston) Dwight Howard in Atlanta playing well?

Watching Memphis play a whole new style has been interesting.

Honestly I am shocked at how well the Clips are playing. I thought this season might be a trainwreck for them, that version of their team's unraveling. But they are truly fabulous right now.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »

Harden is scary! I've watched quite a bit of the Rockets this year and it's not just the numbers...it's easy for him. How many games does a team need to win in order for a guy to win MVP? I'd say your team must be a top 4 seed, atleast. LBJ is probably the favorite this year. If a Warrior wins it, it's going to be Durant. Beyond those two guys there are a few who can (and are) putting up MVP numbers, but will they win enough?

I agree about Clifford, Dwight, and the Clippers (though I'm still hoping they will unravel Grin). The Clips point differential reminds me of the Spurs last year!

Not to sucker you into discussing the Knicks further, but I have to say on an individual level, KP is blowing my mind! 23 pts in the first half against DET tonight. Last year, he overachieved, right? I thought his percentages would bump up a bit this year, but otherwise I wasn't expecting a significant leap. Since preseason his fluidity has impressed me. Now, he's confident. Lately he's taken to facing up guys on the perimeter, crossing them over, and shooting the J. What's up with that? He made a lot of mistakes last year, bumbled around quite a bit...he's looking like a bonafide all-star right now. Astonishing.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »

Porzingis is amazing. I want to gloat since I did truly praise him pre-draft ... but I can't, since I'm a sucker for Euros and have praised a lot of guys who produced little or nothing. But he is playing some great basketball. His rebounding is really going to have to improve, but I'm sure it will. That he is so fluid, so smooth, and has that beautiful shot, all at his height? Insane. I'd love to see them move Melo and move Noah, maybe acquire someone like a Nerlens Noel to be a defense-minded, garbage-man big, and let him and Rose play pick and roll basketball.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

Porzingis looks just like the crew leader at the paving place i work for in the summer
remember though knicks fans werent happy when he was drafted but the same fans think bernard king is better than lebron LOL

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2016, 04:57:07 PM »

What are posters in South Station, Boston, talking about with a photo of a basketball player and "pick me last again"?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »

What are posters in South Station, Boston, talking about with a photo of a basketball player and "pick me last again"?

Boston's starting point guard is a very small (5-9 or so, I think) player named Isaiah Thomas, who was picked (by Sacramento) 60th (last) in the NBA draft the year he came out of college. However, since then he not only made the Sacramento Kings--a rare achievement for the last pick in the draft, who usually ends up overseas, bouncing around, etc.--but being productive. He was then signed by Phoenix, then traded to Boston, where he not only showed he was a legitimate NBA player, but actually a star. He's averaging a very impressive 20+ points per game.

So the marketing is that it's an underdog success story, basically.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2016, 05:03:44 PM »

Got it. Thank you!
Does another famous athlete have a very similar name? If not, I've heard of him. Yay!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »

Got it. Thank you!
Does another famous athlete have a very similar name? If not, I've heard of him. Yay!

Sadly, yes. Isiah Thomas (not spelling difference) was a very, very famous basketball player (also a point guard, actually) mostly in the 1980s. He played for the Detroit Pistons, and retired probably in the early to mid 90s. This one entered the pro ranks maybe about 5 years ago. So there was quite a space between them.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »

Sad. That was when I still lived with my dad who was a big "b-ball" fan. So I can't pretend to myself I have a clue. It was embarrassing the morning I asked someone at work why everyone was babbling about the Cubs and they told me they'd won the World Series! I hadn't even realized the World Series had begin! Dadless me has no idea what's going on!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »

To be fair, I'm clueless about most sports, too. But basketball? I'm right in there! (My main World Series info was girlfriend discussing her Chicago-area family's inconveniences by the games.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2016, 05:30:29 PM »

I just turned on ESPN and saw the Celtics v Warriors is on, and they showed the South Station ad campaign. Thanks for the head's up, I felt so informed...  Grin

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »

I just turned on ESPN and saw the Celtics v Warriors is on, and they showed the South Station ad campaign. Thanks for the head's up, I felt so informed...  Grin
So pleased that I could play that role in someone's life.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2016, 04:00:19 AM »

Got it. Thank you!

Sadly, yes. Isiah Thomas (not spelling difference) was a very, very famous basketball player (also a point guard, actually) mostly in the 1980s. He played for the Detroit Pistons, and retired probably in the early to mid 90s. This one entered the pro ranks maybe about 5 years ago. So there was quite a space between them.

And the Detroit Pistons Thomas is one of the best to ever play the game!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2016, 06:41:42 AM »

How are the pelicans 1-9?

Pelicans are 3-0 since Jrue Holiday's return. Including a beat down of the Hawks (who appear to be coming back down to earth after losing to the Knicks as well).

Speaking of the Knicks LOL I am encouraged by what I'm seeing. Knicks are 7-7 and quietly have a 5 game home winning streak. If they are to be a 40-50 win team they must take advantage of stretches like the one before them...CHA, @CHA, OKC, @MIN, MIN, SAC, @MIA. These games are just as important as games in April. Is 5-2 too much to ask? Probably.

Meanwhile, the LAL beat OKC last night. The Lakers have been up and down, but overall, they keep surprising me.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2016, 07:04:32 AM »

Jrue Holiday is such a good player ... when he plays. It's been that way for years now, fantastic on the court, but he's so often off of it. At least this time it wasn't an injury, which is promising. It really means a lot to the Pels that he's playing again.

As for the Knicks being a 50-win team? Ooof, I think you're an optimist. I think 40 is closer to the ceiling. 40, 42, right around there. The fact is there will be stretches without Noah. Probably stretches without Rose. Without Melo, without Jennings. These guys always miss games; there's no reason to think they won't this season. What is good to see is how well Hernangomez and Kuzminskas are coming along, because they really needed (and still do need) that depth. It'd be nice to see more backcourt depth, but maybe that will come. Justin Holiday as a backup wing is underwhelming, especially when your starter is Courtney Lee (hardly an all-star). Ron Baker, Sasha Vujacic...

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2016, 07:30:23 AM »

I just watched the LAL-OKC highlights... if you haven't seen the game-winner, check it out. What was he thinking? LOL

And yes, I am an optimist. No doubt. We are really only about 5-6 games apart, though. I'm only worried if KP is out. We can win without Noah (we are right now), we can win without Rose (for short stretches; Jennings has 3 10+ assists games already and great chemistry with KP), Melo almost cost us the game last night...of course if we lose multiple guys at once, sure, we are a 30-35 win team. Justin Holiday has played surprisingly well, will he keep it up? Perhaps not. Kuz was huge last night. Played the whole 4th of a tight game and hit a huge 3 rescuing the Knicks. Im glad to hear the crowd finally booing Melo whenever he stops the ball and isos for 10 seconds. I think he'll get the memo soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:33:36 AM by B.E. » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »

"What was he thinking?" That's a question you can ask about Nick Young at virtually any given moment. And you'll never come up with the correct answer. (It's insane to think back of the Wizards team that had him, Gilbert Arenas, JaVale McGee, Jarvaris Crittenden ... talk about a lot of lunatics on one roster.)

The winning without Rose might be a stretch. While Jennings has played pretty well, remember that you've then got to replace his (huge) role as the only big-minutes guard off the bench. So what, is Ron Baker ready for that? Obviously that dropoff would be huge. And Holiday, he's awfully old to be considered an up-and-comer. I think he's performing at the level he is because he's a mature pro, but he's topped out. And let's be serious, he's not playing all that well for a top wing off the bench. Roughly 6 ppg on 43% shooting (though a nice 44$ 3pt), nothing else to speak of. A PER of about 11. I think--and I say this as a longtime fan of the middling-or-worse Wolves--that you may be mistaking basic competence with real productivity when it comes to Holiday. I did the same thing for years, whether with Robbie Hummel, Dante Cunningham, or any number of other bottom-of-roster guys forced into rotation roles. It's amazing what a person can talk himself into. (Hell, I championed Darko Milicic.)

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »

"What was he thinking?" That's a question you can ask about Nick Young at virtually any given moment. And you'll never come up with the correct answer. (It's insane to think back of the Wizards team that had him, Gilbert Arenas, JaVale McGee, Jarvaris Crittenden ... talk about a lot of lunatics on one roster.)

LOL Seriously!

The winning without Rose might be a stretch. While Jennings has played pretty well, remember that you've then got to replace his (huge) role as the only big-minutes guard off the bench. So what, is Ron Baker ready for that? Obviously that dropoff would be huge. And Holiday, he's awfully old to be considered an up-and-comer. I think he's performing at the level he is because he's a mature pro, but he's topped out. And let's be serious, he's not playing all that well for a top wing off the bench. Roughly 6 ppg on 43% shooting (though a nice 44$ 3pt), nothing else to speak of. A PER of about 11. I think--and I say this as a longtime fan of the middling-or-worse Wolves--that you may be mistaking basic competence with real productivity when it comes to Holiday. I did the same thing for years, whether with Robbie Hummel, Dante Cunningham, or any number of other bottom-of-roster guys forced into rotation roles. It's amazing what a person can talk himself into. (Hell, I championed Darko Milicic.)

You are absolutely right to question Baker and if Rose misses extended time the Knicks don't have the depth to win. Agreed. As for Justin Holiday, to your point, I'm surprised he is this competent. I was in favor of cutting him during the preseason. As you pointed out, it's not like he's playing out-of-his-mind, so I'm hopeful he can continue to do what he's doing.

I'm looking forward to the home and home with the Wolves.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »

I'm hoping the Wolves are into a rhythm by then. So far, they're dominant for roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of every game, but they've been--with one or two exceptions--absolutely horrible the other part of each game. They have blown something like five or six 12+ point, second-half leads already. They're phenomenal in the first quarter, even the first half, but usually awful in the third quarter. The talent is absolutely there, but they just have to work through situations and learn from them. It's tough once you've identified players or teams as up-and-coming, because knowing they're going to improve isn't the same as actually improving. You just have to go through it...

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »

Absolutely. Everyone recognizes the bright future of the Wolves, but it doesn't happen overnight. We've both got new coaches, as well. I'm a little worried now, because at times the Knicks struggle early and late in games. The Wolves, especially at home, may jump out to a large lead. Late in games for us, predictably, it's a power struggle between doing what got you there (team ball) and the stars "earning" their paychecks (ISO).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »

Especially with Melo, that cognitive dissonance has got to be tough. Old dog, new tricks. The guy has been supremely successful as a go-to, iso-focused scorer. Even when he's at his best (in international competition), his role is to shoot when the ball gets to him--even if he's not the #1 option. He's just not built for a triangle or motion style of offense. He could work really well in a pick-and-roll with Rose, but that leaves Porzingis as the weak side spot-up shooter. Obviously he's overqualified for that role!

I do like Hornacek as a coach, however. Frankly, I suspect Jackson would be better off leaving the job, considering his insistence on maintaining (even parts of) the triangle and his tendency to cozy up to media and drop bombs every now and again. He's just seeming like a meddler as a front-office guy. Doesn't he have an opt-out after this season? I think it would be best for everyone if he took it, though I know he recently said he didn't want to opt out (whenever it is). And as painful as it would be, I'd also let Rose walk or sign him and do a sign-and-trade. And I'd probably try to deal Melo. I'd rebuilt around Zinger. I know after about three rebuilds in the past five years, Knicks fans don't want to hear that, but it makes sense.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: