-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172936 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

Cry it's a sixer thang

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »

Cry it's a sixer thang

And I'm sick of that fact  Angry fingers crossed Joel and Dario can have some impact, maybe even Timothe too!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »

I read two months is a typical time missed for this kind of "Jones fracture." He's young and generally healthy--and not 7+ feet--so hopefully it's a one-time thing quickly overcome, not a lingering injury. Crazy as it sounds considering he's the #1 pick in the draft, a versatile player not seen in a rookie since LeBron James, and the presumptive ROY, but they should be fine regardless. They have Nerlens Noel, Robert Covington, Jerami Grant, and Dario Saric available at PF. So they're covered in that respect. And while Simmons was going to play some halfcourt offense PG, they did bring in Sergio Rodriguez, who is one of the better passers in the NBA (yeah, you read that right ... re-read it if you want) on the roster this season. And Jerryd Bayless is a perfectly competent lead guard, too.

They weren't going to compete for a title, or even the playoffs, anyway. So while it sucks, it's fine in the big picture as long as they get him healthy.

Shouldn't affect Luwawu, though. He's more a 2/3. He'll get his time if and when he beats out Gerald Henderson, Nik Stauskas, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 05:38:09 AM »

Lets talk about this year's league with my bulls with alpha male Rondo and Wade leading the way to disaster! Undecided

Being a Detroit Pistons fan, I've despised the Bulls for as long as I can remember. However, now that they drafted Denzel Valentine, I find that I have a rooting interest in the team. So here's to hoping that Denzel manages a great rookie season, while the rest of the team stinks!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 07:32:21 AM »

Lets talk about this year's league with my bulls with alpha male Rondo and Wade leading the way to disaster! Undecided

Being a Detroit Pistons fan, I've despised the Bulls for as long as I can remember. However, now that they drafted Denzel Valentine, I find that I have a rooting interest in the team. So here's to hoping that Denzel manages a great rookie season, while the rest of the team stinks!

He's certainly going to have to earn any playing time on that team. I think he could play some SG, PG, and SF in the NBA, but that means he's behind Rajon Rondo (and maybe Jerian Grant), Dwyane Wade, and Jimmy Butler (and maybe Tony Snell). It'll be rough going. On this team, I think his best bet is to hit perimeter shots. The team really lacks perimeter shooting, so if he can do that, it should keep him on the court.

You must be pretty excited about Detroit this year. The biggest problem I see is just too many pretty good players who deserve time, especially among the bigs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 04:37:20 AM »

I'll get back with you when I see that Drummond can actually make a free throw  Undecided
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »

I'll get back with you when I see that Drummond can actually make a free throw  Undecided

Honestly I think that's a big piece of some of the other bigs that they've signed. Baynes is a career 80% FT guy; Marjanovic is 76%; Leuer is 72% (and 76% last year); Morris is 70%; and Ellenson shot 75% in college. If he isn't at least solid, they'll just take him off the floor (again) and let the better shooters do it. Plus, Baynes and Marjanovic in particular have proved you can pass it to them in the post, where they are likely to draw fouls. The others, being more face-up guys, are a bit different.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »

Last night there were two preseason games: the NBA season has (sort of) begun!

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »

Im sooooo glad preseason started cant take the Browns anymore for this season 0-4 LOL
Simmons is out 3 months hopefully philly just cant catch a break Shocked

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »

Im sooooo glad preseason started cant take the Browns anymore for this season 0-4 LOL
Simmons is out 3 months hopefully philly just cant catch a break Shocked

In a strange way, I think it is helpful for them: they can now see what they have in Dario Saric (and decide whether to keep him around or move him for something more useful to them, such as better and better-shooting wing players). They can also help alleviate the glut down low in general by getting Noel some minutes at PF as well as C, where they have Okafor and Embiid. Hopefully by the time Simmons returns, they can make more informed choices about who to move, for what, etc. They weren't going to be winning much this year anyway.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this season! I'll have a lot to say as the season progresses. Are there any other Knicks fans out there?  I'm hoping Ron Baker makes the team. I was impressed by him during the summer league, though I wasn't sold he'd make it in the NBA. Solid 3 and D player, strong build. It's early in the preseason, but I like him as a 3rd string PG who can also play off the ball. He played really well against the Nets tonight alongside the starters. I'm also impressed by Chasson Randle. He's knocking down 3s and making things happen. Not sure if he can run the team adequately or if he's more of an undersized SG. Either way I'm very high on both of these players, both of which are currently on the outside looking in. The Knicks have 15 other players w/guaranteed contracts. Marshall Plumlee did not impress me during the summer league but he is starting to win me over. He plays very aggressive, throws his weight around, which I think is ideal in a player potentially playing alongside KP. I'd like to make room for Baker/Randle by cutting Justin Holiday and Lou Amundson. JP Tokoto hasn't shown me anything either. Though perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention? Btw, Brandon Jennings looked very impressive tonight physically. Looked 100% healthy and very quick. He helped break the game open with his play. I'm genuinely excited about some of our new players, including Willy Hernangomez. Kuzminskas is intriguing as well, though, he has yet to make much of an impact.

Predictions: If our injuries are worse than league average (which is very likely to occur) 40-42; if we remain relatively healthy 50-32.

Outside of the Knicks and Spurs, I'm also interested in the Bulls this year. How will DWade fit in Chicago? Is there a worse 3 pt shooting PG/SG/SF starting combo in the league than Rondo/Wade/Bulter? Also, what about JR Smith? What are the chances he doesn't sign with the Cavs. I noticed they signed Toney Douglas the other day. Lucky for JR, LeBron is in his corner. The Cavs don't want to upset the King, do they? I find GS interesting for obvious reasons, but wonder what will happen in the future. Will Curry or Durant leave??
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:53:30 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 06:47:30 AM »

I'm really looking forward to this season! I'll have a lot to say as the season progresses. Are there any other Knicks fans out there?  I'm hoping Ron Baker makes the team. I was impressed by him during the summer league, though I wasn't sold he'd make it in the NBA. Solid 3 and D player, strong build. It's early in the preseason, but I like him as a 3rd string PG who can also play off the ball. He played really well against the Nets tonight alongside the starters. I'm also impressed by Chasson Randle. He's knocking down 3s and making things happen. Not sure if he can run the team adequately or if he's more of an undersized SG. Either way I'm very high on both of these players, both of which are currently on the outside looking in. The Knicks have 15 other players w/guaranteed contracts. Marshall Plumlee did not impress me during the summer league but he is starting to win me over. He plays very aggressive, throws his weight around, which I think is ideal in a player potentially playing alongside KP. I'd like to make room for Baker/Randle by cutting Justin Holiday and Lou Amundson. JP Tokoto hasn't shown me anything either. Though perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention? Btw, Brandon Jennings looked very impressive tonight physically. Looked 100% healthy and very quick. He helped break the game open with his play. I'm genuinely excited about some of our new players, including Willy Hernangomez. Kuzminskas is intriguing as well, though, he has yet to make much of an impact.

Predictions: If our injuries are worse than league average (which is very likely to occur) 40-42; if we remain relatively healthy 50-32.

Gotta love that New York optimism.  Grin I agree that injuries are going to be the key, but I think 50 games is really optimistic even if they're healthy. That bench--Jennings notwithstanding--is just terrible. Almost historically bad, from my recollection. Granted, that assumes some of the rookies or journeymen don't step up and overperform expectations: maybe Hernangomez, Kuzminskas, Tokoto, O'Quinn, Baker/Randle, etc., will play out of their minds. (Hornacek has done a nice job in the past with young and journeymen types.) But it's a lot to ask. And what's worse, that's if there aren't many injuries ... which there will be. In his five full seasons with New York, only twice has Melo played in 70+ games. In those same past five years, Noah has only surpassed 70 once. Last year's 66 games were Derrick Rose's most by 15 games in the same time frame. (That's to say nothing of his diminished game, post-injury, or his rape charges.) Even Jennings has been injury prone. Sadly I just think it's a lot of stars to align... The Knicks will have a tough time. I think this summer's spending spree was kind of funny, because it's not a solution. It's a flashing neon band-aid. If I were Phil Jackson, I'd have gone the other way and tried to build around Zinger and some of the other younger guys.

Outside of the Knicks and Spurs, I'm also interested in the Bulls this year. How will DWade fit in Chicago? Is there a worse 3 pt shooting PG/SG/SF starting combo in the league than Rondo/Wade/Bulter?

You've got that right, they are a terrible shooting team. Last night, though, Mirotic at least finally warmed up. They'll really need him and McDermott in particular to hit shots because the guards can't make a shot. (Even second-year man Jerian Grant was one of the worst shooters in NBA history last year as a rookie.) They also have such a glut at PF, a bunch of talented/promising/good players but nothing that sets people apart. One wonders if Hoiberg is secure, and even if so, what the plan is.

Also, what about JR Smith? What are the chances he doesn't sign with the Cavs. I noticed they signed Toney Douglas the other day. Lucky for JR, LeBron is in his corner. The Cavs don't want to upset the King, do they?

I'm enjoying watching him flail in the wind because, MAN OH MAN do I ever hate JR Smith. He's unbelievably talented, no question there. He should have been an all-star half a dozen times by now based on his athleticism and skill set. But he's just one of those guys who seems intent on proving he can succeed doing whatever he wants, not what the team or coach wants. Does the world need turnaround fadeaway 3s?

I find GS interesting for obvious reasons, but wonder what will happen in the future. Will Curry or Durant leave??

It will be a fun season, but as it proceeds--especially if they "struggle" (which for this team probably means losing two games in a single month...)--we are going to hear about the potential departures of those two, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see either one go, actually. But Curry maybe more likely than Durant, as they've continued to pay teammates more than him. (Quirk of timing and his own injuries, but even so.) He could go home to Charlotte, make a huge fortune, play for MJ and a great coach Steve Clifford whose defensive schemes could allow him to keep being the Curry we've come to know while still succeeding as a team. Or theoretically he could choose New York and be a star on the biggest stage. Who knows? Probably not even him.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »

Captain, I have circled the 11/30 and 12/2 home/away on my calendar with hopes of great victory. If the bench wins us two games all year, I'm hoping it's those! Grin

Anyone get League Pass? I'd love to watch more Western Conference games. Is it worth $200? At least I get the Knicks/Nets/Sixers living in NJ.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »

We're now arch enemies, B.E.! May KAT get you for 30, 15, and 5!

I've had League Pass the past two years, but not this year. It always sounds like such a great idea early on, but I have tended to watch less and less as the season wears on. I love basketball, but there are only so many nights I can justify sitting around surfing games. But even now I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea, in that the major networks tend to focus on half a dozen to ten teams.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »

Rondo will be player coach by the end of the year! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2016, 05:56:11 PM »

Rondo will be player coach by the end of the year! Grin

You really want a coach who hates 3/4 of his team 3/4 of the time? (If so, just hire Larry Brown.  Grin )

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 06:08:21 PM »

Larry will be coaching pickup ball soon!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »

And within minutes, he'll be trying to trade half his roster.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »

13 days til tipoff Head Spin

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »

I'm so ready. We're two preseason games in, and I feel like it's more than enough.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2016, 06:11:10 PM »

Yea definitely, had time the other night to watch the cavs and indians play in pip, but due to sitting starters LOL the tribe was more fun to watch

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2016, 05:19:11 AM »

Yea definitely, had time the other night to watch the cavs and indians play in pip, but due to sitting starters LOL the tribe was more fun to watch

I really think the NBA should cut down on preseason games, which would give them the added benefit of more time to play their 82 regular season games and reduce the back-to-backs that players and coaches hate so much. Training camp and maybe 2 games, that would be fine by me. We don't need 6 or 8 or whatever. Every player I've ever heard talk about the preseason says that. We were playing Denver the other day and they were sitting so many starters and regulars: Mudiay, Nurkic, Harris, I think...I forget who all. But a lot of guys.

The Wolves have been playing everyone--or at least their top 10--every game so far. But I think that's because of the coaching change, plus the younger guys who don't really need the rest. Thibs is trying to see what he has and who plays well together. So far, he's going almost with a platoon system of two groups: starters Rubio, LaVine, Wiggins, Dieng, and Towns; and reserves Dunn, Rush, Muhammad, Bjelica, and Aldrich. Considering we still have Jordan Hill and Tyus Jones, I think it's got to be the deepest Wolves team ever. Fingers crossed we don't experience the kinds of injuries that have derailed so many of our seasons the past decade.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »

The injury bug needs to stay away from the Wolves! (Thibs don't play your starters in the 4th period in February Wink)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »

I truly think he's going to go a different direction this year, assuming guys are healthy, and play 10 guys regularly. Hopefully that will help fend off injuries.

Some of our biggest injury-bitten players are gone now, anyway: KG, Pekovic (still technically on the team but already announced as out for the year and most likely done overall, I'd guess), Kevin Martin, etc. Rubio is the one with the worst history of injuries, but hopefully a) he'll be healthy, and b) the Dunn-Jones-LaVine trio can fill in sufficiently even if he does go down.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2016, 06:04:14 AM »

I've seen a lot written the past few days about expansion being discussed among league officials, with Seattle almost certainly the primary target (although I'd guess they go two teams, going up to 32). Other names I've seen brought up are Vancouver (again), Mexico City, Las Vegas, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Louisville, and Pittsburgh.

What does everyone think? Are we ready for a couple more teams? Which cities do you think would be financially viable? (Omaha, for example, seems like quite a stretch...I checked yesterday, and at about 900k, it's only about 2/3 the size of OKC, which is already considered a very small market for the NBA.) Mexico City would be cool in that it could give Mexico an equivalent to Canada's Raptors ... but does Mexico love its basketball? There doesn't seem to be quite the same push for it as in Canada. Though Canada's hoops scene seems more a result of the Raptors than the cause of it.

Most of all, I would just enjoy watching new teams come into existence. I have loved expansion drafts and team-building since the first two new teams of the modern era came into being, Charlotte and Miami. (The next season the league added Orlando and Minnesota. Then Toronto and Vancouver. Most recently, Charlotte returned to the league.) Expansion drafts mean teams have to decide who to leave available and who to protect; the new teams have to weigh factors like available players' age, contracts, interest in playing for a new team, among other strategic factors. It's just the best.

I may or may not have gone through every roster (as of player status at the end of this coming season) and made hypothetical lists of who could be available for an expansion draft.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: