-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2018, 09:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 40631 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2018, 03:22:23 AM »

That is true for a majority of people I have seen. I however live in Texas and I absolutely hate it here. I've lived here my entire life and it has never felt like home.  I'm at the point where as soon as I can transfer and have enough money to move, I'm gone. Knowing that my life span is going to be much shorter than I initially thought/hoped,  I have to make something happen while I have the time to. In any case, you're right in because most people here are definitely proud (and nothing wrong with that) but I myself feel so out of place here.
Thanks to further confirm it. I read it many times & seen Americans directly say their state is the best. That some people in the States admit liking the other states, as per Buckethead, doesn't mean much - they still cling to that beloved home state.

& Billy, move with Dana & Jaymie to California! :D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Fruits hate berries but berries hate pickers. (Simon Simple "Every Fool's Gardening Guide")

Everything big, in truth, is just little in disguise. (Truths. Tome 50)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »

I don't know about being proud of my state, or thinking it's the best. I think it's good. I enjoy it a lot. But proud? Not exactly proud. And best, I don't get into ranking things (at least not seriously--just for silly purposes like "best songs" polls that don't count for anything). I've said many times, I've liked most everywhere I've been to some extent. The "grass isn't always greener," but there's usually plenty of green grass.

As for "do we believe that this poster thinks with concern for random people's welfare they never met?" I would absolutely hope so. If we can't have concern for other people, including people we've never met, we are simply animals, nothing more. It is exactly that kind of emotional imagination that raises us to the level of humanity. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the good in our environments, but if we only do that, and if we don't show concern for the less fortunate, we don't deserve the good things in our lives anyway.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Hey it's Furlock Holmes ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »

That is true for a majority of people I have seen. I however live in Texas and I absolutely hate it here. I've lived here my entire life and it has never felt like home.  I'm at the point where as soon as I can transfer and have enough money to move, I'm gone. Knowing that my life span is going to be much shorter than I initially thought/hoped,  I have to make something happen while I have the time to. In any case, you're right in because most people here are definitely proud (and nothing wrong with that) but I myself feel so out of place here.

Dude. Shocked

Yeah I donít really want to get into it on the board too much but Iíve been having issues since my second stroke which is why I havenít been as active here. Iíve basically been in and out of the hospital since August and Iím pretty much done with everything... Iím at the point of ďwhatever happens,happens ď.

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »

Take care of yourself, Billy.

On a totally different note (but relevant to the thread), I really dislike the hyperbole-clickbait style of YouTube video titles, as well as headlines in some publications. For example, I enjoy watching debates on YouTube. But so many of them have titles like "[Person A] CRUSHES libtard [Person B]," or "Conservative DESTROYED IN FIVE MINUTES!" or whatever. Right now in my recommended videos is "Atheist Dan Barker Mutilates The Christian."

It's as if the typical YouTube commenter--which is to say, a hyperbolic idiot--titles them all.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

2the captain: I didn't say anything about ranking, esp. ranking states. By saying California is the best, I used phrase along the lines of what people use when they really like sth. - "This is the best!", "This is the best thing since sliced bread!", "Best thing ever!" yada yada. I didn't deny there's cool things to find elsewhere around the world. Only that I like California, it appeals to me - its best features. It just does.

Next, I didn't mean that we must brush off poverty-stricken people. I replied before to Buckethead that we sympathize to these people, I sure do. But, I said as well, what can we do to help them? Mere tourists who travel to see new places, they witness it but can't do anything except to show sympathy/ empathy, unless they're rich to donate money to charities. Then what's left to do? To go about enjoying time in these new places. Again, if you visited California, witnessed its good & ugly sides, looking at poor areas, what could you do to improve it? Mere empathy/ sympathy/ concern can't get things going for these people. Obviously I mean in individual case, not when people unite with their collective concern - then yes, it could start some process. But you alone with your concern couldn't erase the poverty. They're still poor. In that context or what it's called, everybody just lives where they live knowing by news, newspapers that there's less fortunate.

If smb. enjoys some place despite the devastating condition of some of its areas, it doesn't mean they're soulless bastards, it's just they lack means to help them. Some people anyway don't loudly expose sympathy etc., they keep it inside, they think about it in the back of mind, then just go on living as they do. If people reading this post will get it right - good. If disagree - feel free to say the flaws in the points made. But, I look at it like that, it's the way I perceive this question.

Face it, discussing, caring about the poor whilst sitting safely at the computer in the clean room in the house with modern conveniences doesn't help them in any way. They don't know that you, they, she, he express concern, sympathize with them. We care, by not doing any action. Is there any actual thing that average citizen, fellow countryman can do for them? Average is smb. salaried with less than 6 figures.

Next pet peeve - when people try really bad to be funny instead of just keeping it cool & talking casually. Cases in point - 2 PS posters bonnie bella & 'Becca. Reading each of these posters, it's like they don't just post their opinions about various things but as if they spent some time before hitting "post" to come up with sth. funny. There's some naturally funny people but this strikes as "trying to seek attention by being funny to gain posters' praise & friendship".

Next pet peeve - it amuses me when people who didn't cuss before suddenly start using cuss words to be in with the others. Case in point - JK. Or uses words that youngsters use, e.g. "dude" in reply to Billy. Nobody rolled eyes when the old guy used it, yet Al's "totally rad" phrase he sang at 40-sth., age about 20+ yrs younger than JK, caused huuuge trouble with BBs fans like tompromisedroad/ Disney Boy (1985) etc. Let's play fair, maybe? Folks, why don't you keep your individuality? It's easy. Don't repeat people around, their speaking/ writing styles, the way they eat, dress, brush hair, don't choose the same interests everybody does, don't travel the same places everybody recommends you. It's annoying, not to mention hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:37:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Fruits hate berries but berries hate pickers. (Simon Simple "Every Fool's Gardening Guide")

Everything big, in truth, is just little in disguise. (Truths. Tome 50)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: