gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:51:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My favourite singer  (Read 7041 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »

tons

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »

Elvis, Elvis, Elvis....and I don't mean Abbott's partner.  Could sing several styles of music incredibly well and with great emotional impact.  Still the King....
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »

I can't really come up with a short list of favorite singers, but I am surprised, after looking at those listed, that no one said Robin Gibb. His voice and his use of it was truly unique and unforgettable. RIP.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 03:00:51 AM »

Robin Gibb. His voice and his use of it was truly unique and unforgettable
Yes, best singer in the band, the others being basically Barry's voice's variations, including Andy.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »

Yes, a vibrato that never seems forced. It was unfortunate when the group used it less when Barry's falsetto came to the fore. IMO, it was good i n moderation,  but a bit overused. While I'm not really as familiar with Andy's voice (and so probably would not find it remarkable with another listen), I would suggest that Barry was also a really good singer, especially when in his comfortable baritone range. Maurice  was no slouch, either, but was usually relegated to harmonies (which, BB fans, we realize is of value). Give a listen here to a Mo lead: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghA-XQfOgts

My favorote live BG performance making the most of everyone's gifts follow. Note how Mo actually does the falsettos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2SDf42guB4
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »

Maurice was no slouch, either, but was usually relegated to harmonies (which, BB fans, we realize is of value). Give a listen here to a Mo lead: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghA-XQfOgts

Lovely rendition. Wow. It's so smooth!

RIP Robin, Maurice and Andy.

This is my favourite Bee Gees song. I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfL0V0rVIeY

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »

Oh, oh, yes. Barry's voice actually got better and better, IMO, as the years went by, more full. This song also is an example of the  deceptively simple-sounding  lyrics of many BG songs that nail the sentiment of the song and make the listener do a double-take.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »

Oh, regarding  Mo's voice, it was really smooth and had a richness to it that is unexpected. Perfect in the BG blend, but I would have liked to have heard more leads by him. Not as exciting, perhaps, as his brother's vox, but quite good. I have recently developed a much greater appreciation for the Brothers Gibb. They really had a unique style in terms of the music, lyrics, vocals.
Their disco era  product, although mostly more soul/R&B, I think was tainted in the minds of many because it was so associated with the disco  genre. and therefore not judged strictly on its own merits.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx