gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My favourite singer  (Read 7040 times)
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:08:19 AM »

Here is a rare document of my favourite singer ever, the falsetto tenor "Highpockets" William Langford, best known for his alas too short period as a founding member of the Golden Gate Quartet. William is the crazy falsetto which seems always about to morph into a trumpet or a train call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3bZZ4xjtI

And, speaking of voice trumpets and train calls, here is William with the Goldens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0SuysaPWw

In the following video there is a photo of the early Goldens. From left to right: Henry Owens lead tenor, Orlandus Wilson bass, Willie Johnson baritone and narratives, "Highpockets" falsetto tenor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRSDzqFJnp8
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:50:28 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:47:07 AM »

And, speaking of voice trumpets and train calls, here is William with the Goldens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0SuysaPWw

I thought this sound was familiar----Paul Simon sampled the Goldens in "Love And Blessings":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80jElyTv14

Gospel is an area that has largely passed me by but some of what I have heard can really rock the joint! 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »

Imho the level of vocal creativity in those '30-'40s groups is unparalleled.

Daisy22
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »

I love Enrique iglesias ,awesome singer .

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »

My favorite singer is some chap named Brian Douglas Wilson...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »

Brian is my Number One in another category: overall musician.
As a singer, pristine Brian ranks among my first 5 pop/rock singers, but immediately behind Carl. Smiley

KDS
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 10:10:14 PM »

Id be hard pressed to pick a favorite.  Freddie Mercury and Bruce Dickinson are high on the list.  I like Roger Daltrey and Paul Rodgers alot.  John Lennon, John Fogerty, and young Brian Wilson are on the list, as is David Gilmour.

Favorite might be Ronnie James Dio.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 05:02:18 AM »

Id be hard pressed to pick a favorite.  Freddie Mercury and Bruce Dickinson are high on the list.  I like Roger Daltrey and Paul Rodgers alot.  John Lennon, John Fogerty, and young Brian Wilson are on the list, as is David Gilmour.

Favorite might be Ronnie James Dio.

Great to see Paul Rodgers mentioned. Free's best work is unbeatable and his voice was so important to that band.

Another fantastic UK singer who regrettably has sunk into relative obscurity is Chris Farlowe. I used to own "The Fool" back in the '60s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UspwsWU_iQ8

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »

I couldn't pick one, but some of them would be:

- Brian Wilson into the early/mid 70s
 - John Lennon in the latter half of the Beatles
 - Paul Simon
 - Aretha Franklin
 - Freddie Mercury
 - Prince
 - Harry Nilsson into the early '70s
 - Jeff Hanson (an indie singer-songwriter from this area who unfortunately passed a few years ago, but look him up, especially "This Time It Will")

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »

Brian
Carl
Freddie Mercury
Sam Cooke
Little Richard
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Bruce Springsteen
Liam Gallagher
John Lennon
Janis Joplin
Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »

It's a tricky topic because a lot of my favorite singers (especially the rock/pop ones) don't necessarily have good voices in the traditional sense. It's more about how they use it to convey a feeling with it. Beth Gibbons from Portishead has no range at all, but she could the phonebook and I would still get chills. Is she a good singer? Or just a personal favorite.
Scaroline No
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 08:45:33 AM »

It's a tricky topic because a lot of my favorite singers (especially the rock/pop ones) don't necessarily have good voices in the traditional sense. It's more about how they use it to convey a feeling with it. Beth Gibbons from Portishead has no range at all, but she could the phonebook and I would still get chills. Is she a good singer? Or just a personal favorite.
Since the title of the thread refers to favourites, I think it doesn't matter whether the singers we list are technically good singers or not Smiley Nice to see Liam Gallagher appear on the list!

I'd have to say... (in no particular order)

Brian Wilson 1962-1973
Morrissey
Annie Lennox
Freddie Mercury
Michael Stipe
David Bowie (Wild is the Wind, just holy shiat)
Gord Downie
Emily Haines
Gary Louris
Elvis Costello

and yeah I'll say Liam Gallagher, too!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:48:12 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »

Since the title of the thread refers to favourites, I think it doesn't matter whether the singers we list are technically good singers or not. Nice to see Liam Gallagher appear on the list!

Yeah, Liam is probably my favorite rock singer and frontman. His voice makes me feel alive and full of confidence. Even if the material is not that inspired he elevates it to incredible heights. And seeing him on stage is so intimidating (on video, I've never seen him live) because he doesn't have to leap across the stage to catch my attention. He literally doesn't move at all but the sheer power in his voice is enough.

Also forgot to mention Art Garfunkel, Jeff Mangum and Frank Black of the Pixies.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »

Frank Black of the Pixies.

I mean, just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6jtsCpImo
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »

Also forgot to mention ... Jeff Mangum

I was thinking that and failed to mention him as well. His intensity in particular is just enthralling.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Scaroline No
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »

Stevie Nicks! As if I forgot Stevie.
Scaroline No
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »

Since the title of the thread refers to favourites, I think it doesn't matter whether the singers we list are technically good singers or not. Nice to see Liam Gallagher appear on the list!

Yeah, Liam is probably my favorite rock singer and frontman. His voice makes me feel alive and full of confidence. Even if the material is not that inspired he elevates it to incredible heights. And seeing him on stage is so intimidating (on video, I've never seen him live) because he doesn't have to leap across the stage to catch my attention. He literally doesn't move at all but the sheer power in his voice is enough.

Liam is the same live as he is in recorded format. That was one of the astounding things about Oasis on stage... they managed to reproduce their recorded sound so perfectly. I saw them just once, at Maple Leaf Gardens in 2000. I couldn't believe just how "true" they sounded to themselves. You didn't go see Oasis for their on-stage interactivity level or interpersonal skills, that's for sure, LOL! But yeah, Liam's voice just sort of hit me like a bus and drove right through me.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »

Liam is the same live as he is in recorded format. That was one of the astounding things about Oasis on stage... they managed to reproduce their recorded sound so perfectly. I saw them just once, at Maple Leaf Gardens in 2000. I couldn't believe just how "true" they sounded to themselves. You didn't go see Oasis for their on-stage interactivity level or interpersonal skills, that's for sure, LOL! But yeah, Liam's voice just sort of hit me like a bus and drove right through me.

Nice, sounds like quite the experience. D'you think they'll eventually reunite?
Scaroline No
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »

Man, that would be so rad if they did. I'd go see the sh*t out of that. Unfortunately, I think the Brothers Gallagher have both rather publicly stated that it's not likely to happen (in more abusive and profane words than that, LOL!) Never say never though, I suppose!

If you haven't already, and  if you're in need of an Oasis fix, check out the new doc "Supersonic". A really cool look at their formative years leading up to their wavecrest, told in their own voices and of course, with the music. I sang along to the whole thing and then watched it again and sang along to the whole thing. Super fun.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:28:19 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »

Man, that would be so rad if they did. I'd go see the sh*t out of that. Unfortunately, I think the Brothers Gallagher have both rather publicly stated that it's not likely to happen (in more abusive and profane words than that, LOL!) Never say never though, I suppose!

If you haven't already, and  if you're in need of an Oasis fix, check out the new doc "Supersonic". A really cool look at their formative years leading up to their wavecrest, told in their own voices and of course, with the music. I sang along to the whole thing and then watched it again and sang along to the whole thing. Super fun.

Yeah, I've only heard good things about Supersonic. Need to check it out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 03:09:45 AM »

I love Enrique iglesias ,awesome singer .
Is this chap kin to Julian Iglesias? Fun BBs fact: he sang with BBs in the 80s. Check youtube, there must be videos.

Since the title of the thread refers to favourites, I think it doesn't matter whether the singers we list are technically good singers or not
You're totally right.

Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Charles Manson, Terry Adams, Connie Smith, Karen Carpenter, Randy Travis, Joey Spampinato, Zooey Deschanel, Frankie Valli, Gerry Marsden, Peter Noone & few.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »

A most remarkable voice in my opinion is that of the S.O.S. Band's Mary Davis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0wGKIgSZU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_S.O.S._Band

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »

My favorites:
Freddie Mercury
Paul McCartney
Fred Schneider (Just for the uniqueness)
Carl Wilson
Sting
Gilbert O' Sullivan
Elvis (Beginning until Suspicious Minds)
Janet Jackson
Lou Christie
Jay Black

The list goes on and on.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »

Gilbert O' Sullivan
This is good pick. "Clair" is beautiful song he's written & sings it wonderfully.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »

Gilbert O' Sullivan
This is good pick. "Clair" is beautiful song he's written & sings it wonderfully.

I always thought 'Nothing Rhymed' was one of the most underrated songs of that period by anyone.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx