-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Sounds and Race
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds and Race  (Read 81158 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »

Good point...as that famous quote came in June 1967 at the Monterrey Pop festival, where our Boys were originally supposed to perform...
Actually, no it didn't. The quote in question("and you'll never hear surf music again") is from "Third Stone From The Sun" from the "Are You Expserienced?" album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »

I agree that Pet Sounds is not a good album to use in the context of the article. I also agree that the article fails in its main thesis. But I think the reaction against the article in this thread is both disproportionate and misguided.  The article really isn't about the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson, or even Pet Sounds. Yes, that was thrown in as click-bait. But the article makes many valid points that are being dismissed for reactionary reasons.

The headline was the clickbait. The entire crux of the article revolves around the writer's attempts to tie his commentary and citing of quotes and published sources to the Pet Sounds album. Every one of the 4 pages ties the sociology to the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds specifically, and proceeds to paint a picture of Pet Sounds as the prime example of what the author is trying to convey. The logic of such claims is absurd, as specific as multiple points on every page which are intertwined with the album.

If the main focus of the piece is the Pet Sounds album, and that is not a good example to use, if the article fails in its main thesis...isn't that similar to ordering breakfast and getting cold eggs, under-cooked homefries, and burnt toast and saying it was a good meal because the diner gave free refills on the coffee?

Good point, Craig.  I didn't emphasize that enough in my comments - sort of danced around it.  With PS the foundation of the argument, it's ridiculous.  Social and industry influences of the time might have been a decent premise if the student/author had provided better references.  But Pet Sounds was so multi-cultural in its musical influences, and accepted on a multi-cultural level, as well, that it's one of the worst examples that could have been chosen for the premise.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:51:03 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »

Sincere question, Emily: why do you think people are primed to respond negatively to discussions about race?
Because it makes them feel bad.

And why does it make them feel bad? Because they're racist?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »

Good vibrations was psychedelic R&B.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:13 PM »

Sincere question, Emily: why do you think people are primed to respond negatively to discussions about race?

I suppose there are a variety of reasons that I don't fully understand. I expect for some, it's partially because they're racist; I expect for some, it's because they think they or someone they care about or admire is wrongly being called racist. It seems that most don't believe that racism is an active force in our society and I think some think that talking about racism creates unnecessary conflict.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:04:04 PM by Emily » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »

I suppose there are a variety of reasons that I don't fully understand. I expect for some, it's partially because they're racist; I expect for some, it's because they think they or someone they care about or admire is wrongly being called racist. It seems that most don't believe that racism is an active force in our society and I think some think that talking about racism creates unnecessary conflict.

I appreciate and totally agree with your response.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »

I appreciate and totally agree with your response.
Here's where I wish I had a "like" button. :-)

Edited to add: 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:59:05 PM by Emily » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

This is my version of a like button...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Scaroline No
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »

This is my version of a like button...

Cheesy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »

That one needs to be an emoticon too!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »

Thank you John, though I'm not very clever and I can't tell whether I'm being teased or praised. And either way I take your comment in a very wonderful and affectionate spirit.

uote author=john k link=topic=24451.msg591597#msg591597 date=1475093539]
Friends, welcome to the professor's world: please don't worry yourselves about looking for substance. In the modern academy, critical analysis has been replaced with the simple binary matrices of race, class and gender. Simply to assert the existence of one matrix in any given context (here re: Pet Sounds) is, in itself, the entirety of the critical argument.  I get paid for combating this "Chinese cultural revolution" type of totalitarian thinking in real life, so pardon me if I say no more about it here, where I draw no pay. 

Believe me, professor, you are pardoned in full. LOL
[/quote]
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2016, 02:08:36 AM »

Thank you John, though I'm not very clever and I can't tell whether I'm being teased or praised. And either way I take your comment in a very wonderful and affectionate spirit.

Praised. And thank you, sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »

Does the author know that the Wreckin' Crew were jazz musicians, which is the least racist musical subculture that one could imagine?
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »

Does the author know that the Wreckin' Crew were jazz musicians, which is the least racist musical subculture that one could imagine?

lol yah ok jazz wasn't segregated at all!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »

lol yah ok jazz wasn't segregated at all!

You picked a really bad example in Benny Goodman if that photo of him is supposed to prove a point.

I can expand a lot on the topic of jazz, especially that era, but I'd suggest you research these names: John Hammond, Charlie Christian, Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, Fletcher Henderson, and related jazz figures and see how it all ties in...and makes the example of that photo completely irrelevant. It's a fascinating topic to research and if anything, maybe you'll be able to check out some great jazz of the 30's in the process.

I'd be more than happy to discuss it, but consider that Goodman (the bandleader with the clarinet in the photo) led one of if not the most prominent "mixed race" (using the term from the era 'mixed') bands in the 1930's during a time when certain hotels wouldn't allow black musicians to use the same elevators as white musicians in New York. And it was guys like Hammond who fought hard against that racism and supported and promoted musicians based on their music, not race, and in some cases paid their own money to get the black musicians recorded and played on the radio. Hammond also discovered Billie Holliday in her teens and got her first recording date with...Benny Goodman. The guy playing clarinet in the photo.

Just like the original thesis on Pet Sounds...bad example.

It wasn't the musicians.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2016, 07:42:13 AM »

Benny Goodman at an October 1940 session with John Hammond (standing), Charlie Christian (electric guitar, front row), and Count Basie with members of his band including Freddie Green, Lester Young, Walter Page, Jo Jones, and Buck Clayton.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2016, 07:53:33 AM »

Touché, Guitarfool!

The "classic" Dave Brubeck Quartet was integrated and went through a lot of grief for it (for example, on a TV appearance the producer wanted to make sure bassist Eugene Wright wasn't seen. Brubeck would have none of that)

Louis Armstrong's band in the 50s was integrated - as a result he wasn't allowed to perform in his home town (shame!)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »

lol thanks for mansplaining jazz to me!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »

If you can pick out examples of "mixed" groups and say they had a hard time for it, I think that kind of underscores the notion that the genre was segregated.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »

Good vibrations was psychedelic R&B.

It definitely could have been.

Chuck Berry obviously meant more to The Beach Boys than any white rock & rollers of the 50s. Especially Carl and Mike.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:48:37 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »

If you can pick out examples of "mixed" groups and say they had a hard time for it, I think that kind of underscores the notion that the genre was segregated.

Actually, I'm pretty sure GF meant that although segregation was institutionalized at this point in history, these musicians were pretty intent on thumbing their nose at it. Quite rightly so.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »

Thanks Craig for being the voice of reason here. As a lover of jazz, black, white and mixed, I'd like to add much but I'll auto-censor. Being dismissed as a reactionary once is enough. If it's some weird test of strength, I'll happily lose. "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:37:33 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »

Besides Brubeck and Armstrong, musicians such as Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie worked with, recorded with and performed with the likes of Gil Evans, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, Woody Herman and others. They did so because these were top shelf performers and band leaders who fit in well with their particular styles. The backward laws in parts of the US might have been an effort to keep the races apart, but as was posted earlier, these musicians thumbed their noses at that, choosing their personnel for their talents, not their race.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: