gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:04:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regarding Here Comes The Night  (Read 7928 times)
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »

Okay everyone. The disco version of Here Comes The Night gets a lot of hate because it's disco music. Does anyone here actually like this song. I think it's great. Like those harmonies and that bass, man. It's honestly not bad.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »

Honestly? I like it...except for the monkeys. They kill it for me. Strings are a bit overdone, but not as big of a problem as those dirty damn apes LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »

Honestly? I like it...except for the monkeys. They kill it for me. Strings are a bit overdone, but not as big of a problem as those dirty damn apes LOL

I agree. A bit bizarre for a beach boys song.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »

Maybe I'm just projecting my own feeling on this track more than anything, but I've felt for many years that this song among fans has sort of moved into transcending any real hate and has moved firmly into (relatively) lovingly mocking territory.

I think, in terms of the band's story, the track is another case of a bad decision being more a symptom of problems than a cause.  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »

The Wild Honey version, the original version is great. As for the disco version. I guess it was just done for the times.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »

Liked it then; liked it now.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »

Never liked it.

It sounded like Beach Boy vocals to a generic disco song.

Too bad they couldn't have done a song that was quintessentially Beach Boys which happened to be disco (like "Miss You" was a Stones song through and through and through.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »

I'm ashamed to admit that I own it. It was my absolute favorite on WH and was an absolute travesty to try to bastardize a great song into a disco format. Disgusting, embarrassing, tacky and a good example of the way Br00th's mind works.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »

I like Carl's vocal on it.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »

I've never liked disco and still turn it off or skip it when it comes on the radio or music stream. I love the WH version of HCTN, but have never cared for the disco version.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »

I really like both versions. I genuinely like the disco version.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:49 PM »

It should have been released ONLY as a single,,, can you imagine LA with a couple more Dennis songs and a couple more songs by Brian?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »

I like the two short versions released as singles...The singing on HCTN is outstanding.. I can find enough BB songs to criticize.. This isnt one of them..
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »

Love it.  Always have, always will.  Edgy, spooky, downright bizarre in spots, amazing vocals, inventive arrangements,great Carl vocal. Love it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:15 PM »

And see for me, I HATE the short version, just like I hate the single version of Cool Cool Water.

lol...spellcheck said "short venison". Oh deer...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:58:01 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 10:18:44 PM »

Ok, time to play the "What if?" game. Let's say the disco version of HCTN is released a year or two earlier than it actually was. Would it have had any kind of a chance of being a hit? To make it interesting, let's imagine that the song gets played on the radio as a song by a "mystery group", thereby giving it no connection to "The Beach Boys".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 10:28:22 PM »

Ok, time to play the "What if?" game. Let's say the disco version of HCTN is released a year or two earlier than it actually was. Would it have had any kind of a chance of being a hit? To make it interesting, let's imagine that the song gets played on the radio as a song by a "mystery group", thereby giving it no connection to "The Beach Boys".

How obscure a track was the original version? Would it go unnoticed in some markets in the pre-internet era that this was a BB remake of their own song? I'm not sure that Carl's voice was the most immediately recognizable BB voice to many people either.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:30:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:59 AM »

And see for me, I HATE the short version, just like I hate the single version of Cool Cool Water.

Oh deer... That's brilliant!

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 01:05:36 AM »

Oh deer... That's brilliant!

and funny!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 01:12:19 AM »

Thanks, I'm here all week, try the veal!

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 02:05:24 AM »

It's veally good. It's Norwegian.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 02:45:52 AM »

I agree. A bit bizarre for a beach boys song.

I don't know about that. The monkey noises belong in the category of exotica, an evolutionary dead end in popular music that was a big influence on Brian in his prime, most explicitly on the title track of Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:47:18 AM by William Bowe » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 07:47:20 AM »

Why do I like it?  Well, I liked their original version of it, for starters, so the melody still makes me bob my head.  Beyond that it was produced and recorded well, and I can appreciate that, looking back on late-70s technology, methods, and the relative dearth of good production in that stretch of years.

Why do I hate it?  Well, I hate disco as a genre.  So I hate it.  Beyond that though, it was a move by the BBs to create something for the purpose of being popular or relevant- not because of an overarching idea or inspiration in and of itself.  Many of their lowest points come when they try and do sh*t like that, and many of their highest points come when they try and do the complete opposite of that.  (you could say that about many artists, fwiw)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »

Loved the original, don't care for the disco version.  Carl Wilson's vocal on the disco version is not very good.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »

How obscure a track was the original version? Would it go unnoticed in some markets in the pre-internet era that this was a BB remake of their own song? I'm not sure that Carl's voice was the most immediately recognizable BB voice to many people either.

Two things I remember. Hearing it for the first time and trying to remember who did the original! Duh! (In my defence it was pre Internet and snail mail for my BBFUN newsletter.) Second was that it was 2-3 years too late. I've said this before but there was room for only one veteran act doing disco IMO. Franklin Valli got there first.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx