gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:18:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buddy Holly  (Read 9779 times)
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »

Any fans of his around here?

Jon G.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

Yup! Love me some Buddy Holly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDw48r7HFBU

Jerry Allison is one of my favorite drummers. The Crickets were simply a great band

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:34:40 AM »

I have been a Buddy Holly fan longer than I have liked the Beach Boys. The course of history would be very changed if he had lived.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »

The greatest wrote and composed all his own music unlike elvis but hey the great die young

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »

Listening to his music man makes me wonder how different music would have been had they just took the freezing bus instead of flying

http://youtu.be/bibSBoOAMRA

http://youtu.be/Zf4B5_L3Rkc

http://youtu.be/wdIPgtLthX8

http://youtu.be/gL9CjiIPmUs
Sad how they died and the promoters with money on their minds, just wanted to forget and move on with other acts..

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »

I agree with everyone here. A Great, and a tragedy that he died so young.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 06:14:10 PM »

John Lennon: "Buddy Holly was the first one that we were really aware of in England who could play and sing at the same time - not just strum, but actually play the licks"

Paul McCartney: "I remember talking to John about this. 'Cricket. What a fantastic idea, it's a little grasshopper, and it's a game.' Well, they came over, they had no fucking idea cricket was a game, to them it was just a little chirping grasshopper from Texas, so it was actually quite a boring name. But we were turned on like nobody's business by the idea of a double meaning, so with our wit and wisdom and whatever, we wanted something that would have a double meaning. Beetles were little insects, so that took care of that, but with an 'A' it became something to do with beat"

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »

The greatest wrote and composed all his own music unlike elvis but hey the great die young
As they say. Never agreed with this statement. Many greats still live.

About subject, good singer-songwriter. I read in "Rolling Stone" in library that as engineer he was innovator, the recordings he did, there isn't muddiness to them - sth. to the effect.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »

When I see them live and when I hear these songs I wonder how many different groups and types of music that this enabled. I seem to think that hundreds and hundreds of important artists and genres and albums and types of music go back to Buddy Holly. Would any of you consider that to be a correct if rather General and broad statement?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »

In recent years, I have seem comments like "Buddy Holly was the first singer songwriter". Sorry, but Chuck Berry and Fats Domino came along before Buddy. "Buddy was the first guy that could sing and play the guitar, and not just strum". Again, what about Chuck? Carl Perkins? Buddy Holly made great records, had a great style of his own, but let's not overstate his importance and influence. I doubt that Buddy would have come along with his style of rock and roll music had it not been for those who preceded him - Chuck, Fats, Elvis, Little Richard.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »

About subject, good singer-songwriter. I read in "Rolling Stone" in library that as engineer he was innovator, the recordings he did, there isn't muddiness to them - sth. to the effect.

From the Original Master Tapes (Steve Hoffman mastered) really shows off how great his engineering was.

Jon G.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 03:20:45 AM »

In recent years, I have seem comments like "Buddy Holly was the first singer songwriter". Sorry, but Chuck Berry and Fats Domino came along before Buddy.

What about Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, Robert Johnson, Arthur Crudup....? Fact is that singer-songwriters have always been around in "Folk"-music*. It's the most natural thing to happen. You play guitar, you don't have money to buy a radio or record player let alone have electricity, so you make up your own stuff. And this wealth of songs and styles is one of the foundations of Rock and Roll. Many big Rock and Roll song's are based on songs that no one can remember their authors.

Regarding Buddy Holly, as I said, I love much of his music. Some of it hasn't aged very well, though. But I always sense a tendency to over estimate Buddy and his work. Much of it based on the fictional Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey (very entertaining movie though). It seems that people always want to focus their fantasies on one individual as the artist-of-artists, the one and only starting point. And when this becomes accepted by the mainstream they look for other people who aren't as big or well known. I don't know if it has to do with not wanting to be part of the mainstream and through this way trying to secure one's own taste's individuality or if it is a certain kind of history revisionism maybe just for making it all simpler for pointing a finger on one "fact" instead of accepting that you can't do that when it comes to music styles (and why should anybody want to do that, anyway?).

Well, I'm listening now to one of my favorite Buddy recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFRHIhSvwc

Sooooo beautiful  Love

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:01:33 AM »

In recent years, I have seem comments like "Buddy Holly was the first singer songwriter". Sorry, but Chuck Berry and Fats Domino came along before Buddy. "Buddy was the first guy that could sing and play the guitar, and not just strum". Again, what about Chuck? Carl Perkins? Buddy Holly made great records, had a great style of his own, but let's not overstate his importance and influence. I doubt that Buddy would have come along with his style of rock and roll music had it not been for those who preceded him - Chuck, Fats, Elvis, Little Richard.

John wasn't giving am history lesson. He was saying that Buddy was the first of HIS heroes who he was aware wrote and sang his own compositions. He wasn't giving an absolute statement on music history.

Context folks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 10:22:05 AM »

John wasn't giving am history lesson. He was saying that Buddy was the first of HIS heroes who he was aware wrote and sang his own compositions. He wasn't giving an absolute statement on music history.

Context folks.

Lonely Summer didn't mention Lennon nor was he quoting him. Granted, his quote was close to Lennon's but he also made clear that "In recent years, I have seem comments like" - insert rest of the quote here.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »

Buddy holly wasnt the first singer/songwriter everytime hes mentioned or talked about it seems is in the context of the tragedy of his death never a mention of music.  As for elvis that was a personal opinion nothing against leadbelly or chuck berry or fats domino

Ive never seen the buddy holly movie just la bamba(great line but who knows what was really said) & my knowledge of buddy holly is what i learned in music history classes in school and from official documentaries and interviews

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:56:55 PM »

Context folks.

Lonely Summer didn't mention Lennon nor was he quoting him. Granted, his quote was close to Lennon's but he also made clear that "In recent years, I have seem comments like" - insert rest of the quote here.

Good point Rocker.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 03:14:17 AM »

My absolute favourite Holly track, the spooky slow version of "Slippin' and Slidin'" with overdubs by The Fireballs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTT_DIclDQ

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 03:34:31 AM »

2Rocker: tastes differ. My favorites:

from classic: "That'll Be the Day", "Peggy Sue". Don't care for "Rave on", "It's So Easy", "Oh Boy", "Maybe Baby", "Mailman Bring Me No More Blues", "Not Fade Away" best by The Rolling Stones plus any slow ballad song.
obscure: "Wishing", some cool guitar work there. & catchy melody.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 05:38:45 AM »

some of my favourite obscurities are, rock me my baby, dearest, reminiscing, fools paradise, your so square,
lonesome tears, raining in my heart, learning the game, cryin waitin hopin', what to do.

Guess I love my Buddy stuff.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »

When I see them live and when I hear these songs I wonder how many different groups and types of music that this enabled. I seem to think that hundreds and hundreds of important artists and genres and albums and types of music go back to Buddy Holly. Would any of you consider that to be a correct if rather General and broad statement?

Rather foolishly I missed this. Yes, professor, I'd say it's certainly a correct statement. There is a select group of artists in the mid to late '50s who have been vastly influential on pop until this day. Holly is definitely among them. Who else? The Everlys, Chuck Berry... there can't be many as influential as these three. But any other Big Names are more than welcome. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »

Holly was one of the all-time greats. I don't get into debating legacies among greats (just as I give rankings or halls of fame no serious attention), but he's certainly among the legends of his era. His legacy also has the benefit of his early death preventing any of the sullying that the inevitable ebbs and flows of both popularity and material.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »

Both his original albums are fantastic.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »

The 60s were generally unkind to 50s rock & rollers, so imagining Buddy Holly throughout the course of that decade and beyond makes for an interesting parlor game. Holly was probably better equipped than some to survive and/or prosper.

Having said that, he was not as distinctive a guitarist as Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, or Carl Perkins. Nor was he as good a singer as Elvis Presley. Sometimes I wonder if his late period string-laden course was a wise one, even though "True Love Ways" is a great one.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »

The 60s were generally unkind to 50s rock & rollers, so imagining Buddy Holly throughout the course of that decade and beyond makes for an interesting parlor game. Holly was probably better equipped than some to survive and/or prosper.

Having said that, he was not as distinctive a guitarist as Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, or Carl Perkins. Nor was he as good a singer as Elvis Presley. Sometimes I wonder if his late period string-laden course was a wise one, even though "True Love Ways" is a great one.
It's easy to imagine Buddy succeeding in the 60's because he didn't live through it. Chuck Berry had a handful of hits after he got out of prison in '63, but most of his records in the era failed to find a wide audience. The Everly Brothers seem to have done pretty well in the UK, but after 1962, their chart appearances in the US were pretty scarce. Even Elvis saw his record sales go down by 63-64. At least he had the movies to keep him in the public eye. I can't imagine Buddy doing better than those guys. Ditto for Eddie Cochran.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

If Buddy sticks to this style which will be dated by the 60s, doesn't appreciate the new "trends", isn't flexible to the ensuing changes & doesn't have new ideas in accordance with them etc., then yes, he wouldn't do any better than the other 50s-going-into-60s artists.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx