gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:50:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows Instruments/Credits  (Read 28855 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2023, 06:02:38 PM »

The backing track.  They used take 20 for the bulk of the backing track, but the tag of that take was deemed subpar, Brian then had the band do a pickup starting at the tag (he might have rejiggered some instrumentation for it) which I think was two takes.  Then he edited the body of take 20 with the tag pickup piece to create the full backing track, and then all that was mixed to mono in preparation for the vocal sessions.

Wow, thanks. It appeared that Brian used the splicing technique quite a lot even before the recording of “Good Vibrations”~

Certainly -- as did everyone else.  It's a nice easy way to combine the best parts of different takes, very common from the very birth of magnetic tape recordings.

Case in point: I SAW HER STANDING THERE. The Fabs kill it on that one, but from the guitar solo out, it's a different take edited on (or maybe from after the solo - I forget which).
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2023, 10:25:01 PM »

The backing track.  They used take 20 for the bulk of the backing track, but the tag of that take was deemed subpar, Brian then had the band do a pickup starting at the tag (he might have rejiggered some instrumentation for it) which I think was two takes.  Then he edited the body of take 20 with the tag pickup piece to create the full backing track, and then all that was mixed to mono in preparation for the vocal sessions.

Wow, thanks. It appeared that Brian used the splicing technique quite a lot even before the recording of “Good Vibrations”~

Certainly -- as did everyone else.  It's a nice easy way to combine the best parts of different takes, very common from the very birth of magnetic tape recordings.

Case in point: I SAW HER STANDING THERE. The Fabs kill it on that one, but from the guitar solo out, it's a different take edited on (or maybe from after the solo - I forget which).

c-man, has the story changed regarding this? I thought everything was from take 1, except the count-in being from take 9.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2023, 05:20:19 AM »

Hmmm...could've sworn Lewisohn was the source for that, but the only thing I'm finding now is from Jerry Hammack's book, where he states that Takes 3-5 involved efforts to perfect the guitar solo, but that in the end they went with the original. So we'll go with that.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2023, 07:23:28 PM »

Rest in peace, Jim Gordon...drummer and plastic orange juice cup player extraordinaire.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »

Not plastic!
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2023, 06:27:25 AM »

Not plastic!
I've always read plastic. What were they made of?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2023, 07:10:18 AM »

Paper!  They were probably dixie cups.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2023, 01:14:10 AM »

Hi all,

I’ve read this topic before, and I want t preface by saying I’m not doubting anyone’s research, especially those by Craig, Joshilyn, Will, and their team. However, I do have one question. While listening to the SiriusXM BB channel recently, they played a clip wi Bruce talking about his memories watching Brian (producing), Carl, and The Wrecking Crew cutting the backing track for GOK. Since we now know Carl didn’t play on GOK, is there a specific session that we think Bruce may be mixing up memories about?
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2023, 02:42:17 PM »

It's entirely plausible that Carl, Bruce & co. attended the tracking session, despite the fact that Carl didn't play. We know that Danny Hutton was there, and that The Beach Boys were all in town.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2023, 05:47:57 AM »

Going off what sloop said, yeah the group and any one of their friends could’ve easily dropped in to see what Brian was up to. Friendly reminder how the footage from the Fire sessions shows a lot of people (definitely Mike and Carl to my recollection) were there with Brian in the control room Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx