gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:48:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian, Al and David together on stage in the 60s?  (Read 2530 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »

Hey,
I hope this wasn't discussed before. If so, please let me know and - to the mods - delete this thread.

Coincidentally I was going through my Beach Boys folder and came across these two pictures.

To me it looks like the pictures come from the same show. Now on the one we see Al on bass and David on guitar, on the other one we see Brian on bass and David on guitar (and almost hidden behind them we can see Carl). I never heard about a show featuring all six of them but is this the case here? And what was Al doing when Brian played the bass/Brian doing when Al played the bass? Are there more pictures out there? Any infos in Ian's and Jon's book (as I still haven't had a chance to get it)?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:14:56 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »

The photo are from Cow Palace,  28 september, 1963.

Book of Ian and Jon don´t indicate that the six played together but in another shows of the era indicates that Al substituted Brian in Bass. this was penultimate show of David Marks with The beach boys in 1963
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »

Hey,
I hope this wasn't discussed before. If so, please let me know and - to the mods - delete this thread.

Coincidentally I was going through my Beach Boys folder and came across these two pictures.

To me it looks like the pictures come from the same show. Now on the one we see Al on bass and David on guitar, on the other one we see Brian on bass and David on guitar (and almost hidden behind them we can see Carl). I never heard about a show featuring all six of them but is this the case here? And what was Al doing when Brian played the bass/Brian doing when Al played the bass? Are there more pictures out there? Any infos in Ian's and Jon's book (as I still haven't had a chance to get it)?
Twp different shows. I believe the top photo is from the L.A. Sports Arena and  the bottom from the SF Cow Palace. There is no evidence the 6 ever payed together. If Brian stayed home then Al filled in, if Brian was there Al stayed home ... this was the routine until David left in Oct. '63. Rocker this personnel chronology and info is fairly detailed in the Beach Boys In Concert book.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:04:23 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 02:24:51 AM »

Twp different shows. I believe the top photo is from the L.A. Sports Arena and  the bottom from the SF Cow Palace. There is no evidence the 6 ever payed together. If Brian stayed home then Al filled in, if Brian was there Al stayed home ... this was the routine until David left in Oct. '63. Rocker this personnel chronology and info is fairly detailed in the Beach Boys In Concert book.

Jon, they played three times at the LA Sports Arena in 1963. Do you know the exact date? Thanks.

Feb. 16 - KFWB Charity Show, Los Angeles Sport Arena, Los Angeles CA
May 24 - Los Angeles Custom Car & Boat Show, LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles CA
Aug. 31 - Show of Stars, Los Angeles Sports Arena, Los  Angeles CA

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »

Always thought that was a great pic with Al on bass and David present on guitar.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:28:32 PM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »

Thanks for youre replies and infos! I thought the pictures were from the same show....  Embarrassed

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »

And are we completely sure they are not from the same show?
It wouldn't be the first time that something that was thought to be written in stone turned out to be wrong after some good investigation..

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »

For what it's worth, the room looks different, and the drums aren't at the same place...

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »

Beyond the obvious, I think most of the other bits of evidence point to them being different shows.

While moving the mic stand isn't a big deal, Mike's mic stand is stationed at different spots in the two photos.

Also, the backdrop isn't the same. The top pic shows that large area below the bleacher seating that isn't there on the bottom photo.

Here's a pic of the 1963 NBA Finals at LA Sports Arena where you can see the same area below the bleacher/stand seating:

Meanwhile, that same sort of area in front of the where the bleacher/stand seating starts at the Cow Palace is much lower, starting at the floor itself, so that with a stage in front of it you don't see it at all and just see audience. This matches the BB '63 pic.

Also a 1965 shot of the Beatles playing there:

On top of everything else, there would be no need to have both Al and Brian there when Dave was still in the band. There was no need for a six-piece band. If anything, the band erred on the side of playing as a four-piece, as they did at Cupertino High School in early 1964 after Dave left and when Brian couldn't make the gig:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:16:49 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »

And are we completely sure they are not from the same show?

Yes we are.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx