gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:02:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time Sensititve -- Fires around Big Sur  (Read 5357 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »

COMMENT:  My heart goes out to Alan at this time. With reports coming in of fires just north of his home at Big Sur, he can't help but be concerned for his home and studio and livestock, as he travels on his concert "Pet Sounds" tour. I know he has barrels of foam liquid stored around his property for the fire fighters to use if the fire should threaten his home or studio. By prior arrangement the fire department will use your supply of this stuff to cover your home with fire-retardant foam, if the fire gets too close. After the fire passes, you wash it off the building. It's still a mess.

The fire reports as of this posting Saturday (SEPT 24, 2016), 3PM EDT.

INCIDENT UPDATED 23 MIN. AGO

Approximate Location

36.461 latitude, -121.901 longitude

The Soberanes Fire is burning in the Ventana Wilderness of the Los Padres National Forest, Garrapata State Park, and areas south of the Carmel Valley along with areas surrounding Big Sur. Much of the fire is on the steep, rugged and inaccessible terrain of the Ventana Wilderness Area.

The fire was started July 22, 2016 by an illegal, unattended campfire on the Soberanes Canyon trail in the Garrapata State Park.

If you are so inclined, pray a little prayer for Alan and concerns for his home's wellbeing -- along with other's in the area. To Date, 57 homes have been destroyed.

~swd
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »

This is terrible! Do you know how far it is from his home? I expect he has people taking care of the animals while he's away. I hope they can get them to safety. Do you know how many animals? Are we talking an entire herd or a few horses, a few goats, etc?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »

Will keep him and family in my thoughts and prayers

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

Thoughts and most certainly concern for the wellbeing of Alan's and other homes in the area. Out-of-control fire is a fearsome thing. I only hope he can keep his thoughts on the music he's performing although goodness knows it must be hard for him. Thank you for the update, sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »

Love and Mercy to Alan.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »

Oh my.
I had a dream a month or so ago with Al in it. I tried unsuccessfully to get his attention to ask if that fire had been contained.
Really sad to hear that even after all this time it's still a major, life and property threatening, issue.
Will add my thoughts and prayers for Al and others still dealing with this.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Scaroline No
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

Oh no, this is terrifying. Hoping his home and livestock are spared.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »

This is terrible! Do you know how far it is from his home? I expect he has people taking care of the animals while he's away. I hope they can get them to safety. Do you know how many animals? Are we talking an entire herd or a few horses, a few goats, etc?

COMMENT: Update at Saturday, Sept 24, 2016, 4pm EDT

If you look at this Incident link ( http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4888/ ) It will give you updates for the fire location. When you load the link, you will see a map skowing the fire's location. View on "satilitte" and zoom out. As soon as the white oval with a 1 inside the oval should appear. Stop. The white oval with a 1 in it is located about 5 miles north of Alan's home. For obvious reasons I can't put Alan's address up here, but he lives near Pfieffer Beach.

If you wish to keep taps on this development, try this. Split your computer screen. On one side put this link up,( http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4888/ ). It is the fire location map. On the other side, put up this map. It will give you a shot of Pfieffer Beach area. ( https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2379466,-121.8158686,72668m/data=!3m1!1e3 ). Match the indentations along the cost lines as shown by each map. You may find "satellite" view is the best for this. It looks to me as if the fire 5 miles to the north, but I know that area to some extent - use to go hinking in that area - and there is a ridge or very steep and hill in the fire's way.  Still even a mile away is not a happy thought. This entire region is dense growth, year around. Trees, shrubs bushes, vines, it's like a thicket of foledge and trees, including pine trees that burn fiercely. If the wind is blowing inland, it fans the fire.

~swd

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 03:48:24 PM »

I've been following the Soberanes Fire reports ever since it started. If I am reading the incident reports and maps that are being posted on Big Sur Kate's blog and official fire sites correctly, then the part of the fire that was on the ridge nearest the Jardine residence has already been contained. The fire was close, but it stayed to the east of Highway 1. It's been a rough year for wildfire fighters out West.

Here's the link to Big Sur Kate's blog:
https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/soberanes-fire-day-65-92416/

Also, this link goes to a pdf that shows the contained part of the fire in black and the active part of the fire in red:
http://ftp.nifc.gov/incident_specific_data/calif_s/CALFIRE/2016_Incidents/CA-BEU-003422_Soberanes/GIS/Products/20160924/BAM_96x96_20160924_0600_Soberanes_CABEU003422_2016.pdf
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:56:37 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »

COMMENT:  The fire is larger than I thought.  I think it is serious.   ( posted Sept 24, 2016 at 7pm EDT )

Click on >>> https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?lat=18.13000&lon=-74.81908&zoom=4&tl.play=0&tl.spd=2&groupSevere=1&groupHurricane=1&groupFire=1&groupCamsPhotos=1&groupRealEstate=1&eyedropper=0&drought=0&extremes=0&fault=0&favs=0&femaflood=0&fire=1&fire.sat=1&fire.smk=1&fire.perim=1&fire.mode=0&fire.opa=70&firewfas=0&fissures=0&fronts=0&hurrevac=0&hur=0&labels=0&lightning=0&livesurge=0&mm=0&ndfd=0&rad=0&dir=1&dir.mode=driving&sst=0&sat=0&seismicrisk=0&svr=0&ski=0&snowfall=0&stateLines=0&stormreports=0&tor=0&tfk=0&tsunami=0&riv=0&wxsn=0&cams=0&pix=0&PrecipStart=0

Enter "Big Sur, CA" in the search box and click

You should get a map. In the upper left corner click on + to zoom into the area.  You will see that Big Sur and that entire area is at risk. 

I know no more than this at this time. ~swd
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

One of my favorite, and one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  May the whole area be spared; of course, including Al's property.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »

I've been following the Soberanes Fire reports ever since it started. If I am reading the incident reports and maps that are being posted on Big Sur Kate's blog and official fire sites correctly, then the part of the fire that was on the ridge nearest the Jardine residence has already been contained. The fire was close, but it stayed to the east of Highway 1. It's been a rough year for wildfire fighters out West.

Here's the link to Big Sur Kate's blog:
https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/soberanes-fire-day-65-92416/
COMMENT to Emdeeh:

Fighting wildfires is very dangerous!  Usually they hold fires in that area at the ridge you cited. It could very well be that the house and studio are OK. Check out the map in my last post. Not certain if the red shown on the map is burned areas or burning areas.  Your feedback is welcome
. ~swd
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »

Stephen, I was having some trouble replying on the iPad, so I added this map link to my post above. Now I'm using a computer, so I'll post the link again in context.

This link goes to a pdf that shows the contained part of the fire outlined in black and the active part of the fire outlined in red:
http://ftp.nifc.gov/incident_specific_data/calif_s/CALFIRE/2016_Incidents/CA-BEU-003422_Soberanes/GIS/Products/20160924/BAM_96x96_20160924_0600_Soberanes_CABEU003422_2016.pdf

You can see that it didn't reach the Jardines' property.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:47:40 PM »

One of my favorite, and one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  May the whole area be spared; of course, including Al's property.

My wife Kate and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Post Ranch Inn there six years ago tomorrow and the next few days. If we'd have gone the following week instead, we could have caught a performance by Al and friends at the local library or museum, I think it was. Beautiful, beautiful place!

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »

May Alan and his family remain safe. My prayers go out to him and his family at this time.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »

It looks for now like things are OK. I hope the animals didn't have to breathe in too much smoke.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »

My wife Kate and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Post Ranch Inn there six years ago tomorrow and the next few days. If we'd have gone the following week instead, we could have caught a performance by Al and friends at the local library or museum, I think it was. Beautiful, beautiful place!

What a beautiful location for a honeymoon, and congratulations (6 years late, but).  I think it's safe to say that the Jardine's have good taste in choosing locations.  May all of it remain safe and beautiful, and as Emily says, that the animals remain healthy.  These are tough times with the imbalance in our weather patterns, etc. with the warming we're experiencing.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 05:31:37 AM »

Thoughts are with Alan and his family.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 06:03:46 AM »

One of my favorite, and one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  May the whole area be spared; of course, including Al's property.

Indeed and agreed.

I just visited the area for the first ever time and lots of woodland areas seemed to be closed off with many signs warning of ongoing fires.

Check out this little video we made
https://www.facebook.com/sam.zokay/videos/vb.764885042/10157371124025043/?type=3&theater
Unfortunately the quality isn't the best, but seems appropriate to share.

Love to all that are there all of the time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:05:08 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »

I'll add my prayers and best wishes for the Jardines and everyone else in the area.  This is scary stuff.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 03:40:53 PM »

One of my favorite, and one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  May the whole area be spared; of course, including Al's property.

Indeed and agreed.

I just visited the area for the first ever time and lots of woodland areas seemed to be closed off with many signs warning of ongoing fires.

Check out this little video we made
https://www.facebook.com/sam.zokay/videos/vb.764885042/10157371124025043/?type=3&theater
Unfortunately the quality isn't the best, but seems appropriate to share.

Love to all that are there all of the time.

Big Sur and Randy Newman?  The quality was perfect as far as I was concerned!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 02:00:33 AM »

Smiley

Randy just happened to be on the car stereo at the time so we used it for the video!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »

Have there been fires in that area before?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »

2Joel Goldenberg: Yes, read this thread of 3 yrs ago: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16883.0.html

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »

Official reports report the Soberanes Fire is at 78% containment as of today.

This map shows that the fire has been contained in the Jardines' area and that their property is no longer threatened:
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/map/4888/0/60298/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx