gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:43:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How important were the striped shirts?  (Read 6322 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »

Did the band's early success depend on them wearing uniform outfits?

I realize it was very "in" at the time for bands to wear matching outfits. Most successful bands of the early '60s did wear matching outfits. And yes, most everyone agrees that The BBs went on a couple years too long wearing the striped shirts.

My question is more about: could the band have still had as much success if they nad been rebellious against the status quo and NEVER wore the striped shirts, instead wearing different outfits of their choosing?  Would this have affected their book-ability on national shows, for example?

Or... what if they all wore a different kind of matching outfits? Like say, striped pants, but solid shirts? Or if they kept wearing the Pendleton shirts for years?

A cool idea might have been if they had embraced the psychedelic direction and released Smile, if they were gonna keep wearing striped shirts, how about custom warped/swirly striped shirts (OP Art style), that actually took the vertical stripe idea so associated with the band, and turning that on its ear to make more of a psychedelic statement? Sort of a reference to the past, but saying that things have changed with the times. Maybe that would have been super cheesy, but perhaps better than keeping the old early '60s vertical stripes well into 1967.

I wonder how many of the band's striped shirts still exist. Some of the band members must have a few tucked away in a closet or storage locker.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:13:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 12:22:22 PM »

Could be that right after Brian released both Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations they should have ditched the shirts for a more current look to match the times and their new sound. The last time I saw them with the stripes was 1967. By 1968, they were thankfully history.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »

I'm surprised they weren't sued or at least called out by The Kingston Trio. I know the boys/Murry were inspired to don them because they liked the Trio (history has forgotten how hugely successful the Trio were, rivaling Presley) but they're wearing identical shirts to the ones the Kingston Trio sported on the "Close Up" and "College Concert" LP's. I guess it's like all of the British acts in the wake of the Beatles, dressing just like them. 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:52:44 PM »

Has it been documented where those striped shirts ended up?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »

I bet they could fetch a pretty penny.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »

I think they did just as much damage for the touring band in '67 as they did help for the group in '62. The ship known as the striped shirts had sailed. June 1st of '67 Sgt. Pepper is released and features wax dummies of the Beatles in their old "touring uniforms" with the newly regenerated group in the center. It's exactly what the Beach Boys needed. Not that it mattered, since nobody knew who the hell was who anyway...
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

I think it was just a smart outlook and trend on the surf style Murry set of for them at the time and they continued it for a few years after due to their success.
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »

they're wearing identical shirts to the ones the Kingston Trio sported on the "Close Up" and "College Concert" LP's.

Not identical at all. On those album covers at least, the Trio wore shirts with stripes alternating in two different tones of blue on white, while the Beach Boys wore shirts with stripes in a single blue (or red) color on white.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:32:57 AM by Sjöman » Logged
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »

In the arrest.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »

I think they did just as much damage for the touring band in '67 as they did help for the group in '62. The ship known as the striped shirts had sailed. June 1st of '67 Sgt. Pepper is released and features wax dummies of the Beatles in their old "touring uniforms" with the newly regenerated group in the center. It's exactly what the Beach Boys needed. Not that it mattered, since nobody knew who the hell was who anyway...
Just to keep the timeline straight. The striped shirts didn't show up until '64. They wore solid shirts between Pendletons ('61/'62) and stripes (mid '64).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »

Just to keep the timeline straight. The striped shirts didn't show up until '64. They wore solid shirts between Pendletons ('61/'62) and stripes (mid '64).

That's right, I keep forgetting that. Thanks Jon. Yeah, the solid shirts can be seen in pics like the '63 pic with the Dave/Al lineup where they are all posed around a piano.

Do you suppose the band played *any* early shows in their first few years without all wearing uniform outfits? I would tend to think that maybe there were a handful of exceptions, but maybe not.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »

I always liked the striped shirt look, but by 1966, they did have that 'surfin doris day' look.  Glad they disappeared,
it just didn't suit the music anymore.  would have been cool to see them pull em out for the 50th reunion thou.
Myra
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »

I like the stripe shirts during their earlier period. But things change with the time.

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you will meet the same people on the way down.

Ralph Kramden.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »

Thanks for the correction, even so, the idea of the "uniformed boys" on stage was passe by '67, regardless of how long they had it previously.

I, too, agree it would have been cool, however, in 2012 to honor that era somehow as it is part of their history.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 12:09:28 AM »

Yes, of course, you're correct! I had a mind blank while reading this last night, lol!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that Al still has his.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 03:20:35 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that Al still has his.

If he does that's pretty cool.  Smokin
Myra
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 04:54:43 AM »

I bought a stripe shirt like theirs from Urban Outfitters. Similar to what they wore on the Ed Sullivan Show performing Wendy and I get around.

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you will meet the same people on the way down.

Ralph Kramden.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 06:10:03 AM »

does anyone know what brand(s) they were?  would be an interesting item to add to the collection.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »

The stripes were different colors as well. Working from memory regarding the  colors: black, blue, red , I think.  I think type of  outfits they wore on the Jack Benny special in "65 when they performed Cal girls would've looked good on stage.
Scaroline No
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »

The stripes were different colors as well. Working from memory regarding the  colors: black, blue, red , I think.  I think type of  outfits they wore on the Jack Benny special in "65 when they performed Cal girls would've looked good on stage.

Didn't Al actually wear his striped shirt for that appearance? I feel like he didn't get the memo that day  LOL
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »

It is curious how long they hung onto to these shirts.  "Hang on to Your Shirt-Ohs".  The thought comes to mind, maybe they really just liked them a lot and enjoyed going to Penney's occasionally to buy a new batch!  I mean polka dots shirts were very popular for awhile there in the mid-sixties, would they have stuck with the dots had they started out with them?

I do not however remember them being contemporaneously being put down by fans for their striped shirts.  Didn't seem to me to be that big an issue at the time.  And they pretty successfully transitioned out of the surf and hot rod music on the charts and I really don't remember them being put down for that much either.

I think the key thing that happened was the lawsuit with Capitol, the loss of corporate support from them (quite understandable considering the lawsuit, the non-deliverance of product timely, fighting with them over releases, etc) and probable lack of promotion from Capitol regarding their new releases.  And of course, the outstanding non-commerciality of Smiley Smile and Friends.  I think if somehow 20/20 could have been the immediate follow up to Wild Honey, and received some support, it may have helped them out quite a bit.

Of course I do love both Smiley and Friends....but just noting those releases seriously damaged them as a commercial entity!

I think the clothes and the surf/hot rod music became convenient excuses for explaining their waning commercial fortunes well after the fact.  Heck, look at the goofy outfits (collarless jackets, not a good look) and all the Motown covers the Beatles wore/did and no one held that against them. 
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 12:14:20 AM »

I much prefer the striped shirts over, say, Carl's white safari suits and whatever they wore on the 20/20 sleeve.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

This is likely an unpopular opinion, but I like the latter day striped shirt look of 66-67 (long sleeves and untucked) far more than the earlier style (short sleeves and tucked in.) I'd wear the long sleeve striped shirt over a Sgt Pepper suit in public or private any day.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »

I much prefer the striped shirts over, say, Carl's white safari suits and whatever they wore on the 20/20 sleeve.

I actually *liked* the 1969-era look!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx