gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:17:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys At The Beeb  (Read 2027 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:46:53 AM »

Does anybody know if the Boys did any radio performance sessions at any point in their career for the BBC (Saturday Morning Club etc), (or any radio station for that matter) a al "Beatles Live At The BBC"?

Also, did Denny do any radio promotion for POB?

Undecided

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
XY
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 01:27:38 AM »

They did one BBC radio appearance on "Top Gear" in 1964. They performed I Get Around, When I Grow Up, Hushabye, Surfin' USA, Graduation Day, Wendy and Little Old Lady From Pasadena. Does Tony Rivers post on this board?
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:52:40 AM »

Just curious, I'd like to see a release of a selection of their live radio performances / sessions / interviews. I'm sure there's enough material out there to chronicle from the begining of their career. Did they do many radio sessions in the US?

MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:51:23 AM »

Well by the 60s live radio was dying in the States. There was a union rule in Europe limiting the amount of "needle" time. Thus all the major rock groups who came to or were from England from the late 50s to the late 60s did their fair share of BBC recordings.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »

Is the Top gear performance available on Boot?

Also, I know Denny did the "River Song" / POB promo film with Ed Roach. What other promotion did he do for the album?

I also read once that he was planning to tour it with Christine McVie (or do some kind of concert with her), is this just rumour or was it a plan that never came to be?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 07:11:51 AM »

I have a short radio-promo-clip for "River song"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »

Is the Top gear performance available on Boot?

Also, I know Denny did the "River Song" / POB promo film with Ed Roach. What other promotion did he do for the album?

I also read once that he was planning to tour it with Christine McVie (or do some kind of concert with her), is this just rumour or was it a plan that never came to be?

I don't know about the possible participation of McVie, but a solo tour in the US to support "POB" was definitely planned. Supposedly, it was going to include a good hunk of the Beach Boys touring band (Billy Hinsche, and probably Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, etc.) There apparently were even a few rehearsals. My recollection is vague, but I think there are a few tapes in the Brother archives of rehearsals that either haven't been listened to yet and/or were labled as tour rehearsals but didn't have a tape inside. Something along those lines. I believe some tour dates were even booked, and one or a few even went on sale before the whole thing was cancelled. I think Jon Stebbins' "The Real Beach Boy" discusses the tour in as much detail as is available.

Apparently, the BB's did allow Dennis to promote POB at a few shows in 1977 by letting Dennis do a few songs from the album. I think even these instances were relatively rare. Again, this is mentioned in Jon Stebbins' book. I think they did "What's Wrong" and one or two other songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »

They performed "What's Wrong" and "Friday Night". CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada August 1977 is one of the shows they performed them at. Not sure if they performed those songs at other shows or not. I would love to hear live performances of those!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx