gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681016 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 03:48:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike to revisit THAT speech at the R&R Hall Of Fame.  (Read 4710 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2016, 04:42:41 PM »

Oh I hope we get a report of this...

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2016/09/21/beach-boy-mike-love-to-appear-at-the-rock-hall-for-performance-and-book-signing

Beach Boy Mike Love to Appear at the Rock Hall for Performance and Book Signing

For the past half century, singer Mike Love has guided the Beach Boys on a rollercoaster ride of a career. At 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 28, he’ll talk about his career at the Rock & Hall of Fame and Museum as Dr. Jason Hanley interviews him.

Topics for discussion include Love’s infamous speech at the 1988 Induction Ceremony, his newest book and his work with WaterHealth International.

Love and his band (which also features Beach Boys member Bruce Johnston) will perform a short acoustic set. After the interview, fans can meet and greet Love during a special book-signing for his new book, Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy. In order to attend the meet and greet book signing, guests must purchase a book from the FYE store inside the Rock Hall.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »

I have heard he has something to say about Bob Dylan, as he forgot to mention him the other time. Grin

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »

I have heard he has something to say about Bob Dylan, as he forgot to mention him the other time. Grin
LOL LOL LOL
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »

"Thank f*** he didn't mention me!" - Elton John

Don't speak so soon just yet, Elton...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:20:15 AM »

If Mike's going back to the museum, maybe Mike can take a moment to reflect and state that perhaps he regretfully went too far with his speech, and might have embarrassed his bandmates and the people in the room just a bit.  I can't imagine even Mike privately thinks it was exactly his finest hour. It's become an infamous speech for a reason.

The backlash can and will erode with an apology. Imagine if Mike starts actually sincerely apologizing for stuff? It could certainly help rehab his image. Not kidding or being sarcastic at all.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:32:51 AM »

I hope he makes time to meditate beforehand. LOL
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:01 AM »

That speech! But still, the part of it that annoys me most was the way Mike behaved like a spoilt, attention seeking child during Brian's part of the speech.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:34 AM »

That speech! But still, the part of it that annoys me most was the way Mike behaved like a spoilt, attention seeking child during Brian's part of the speech.

Exactly! It was myKe luHv, during Brian's speech saying "Get out of MY way! I'VE got something MORE IMPORTANT to say. GIMME THAT MICROPHONE! My only regret is that security didn't come along and carry that rude asshole out of the building.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »

At this point...given all that's happened and all that's happening...I couldn't give a rat's ass if he delivered an apology, written by ME, from the moon.  I concur with OSD's description.  It's been well earned and totally deserved.  I used to want to cut the turd a break.  But he just wouldn't, and won't, let it go.

So?  I've let HIM go.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 07:58:50 AM »

Maybe someone knows the answer to this as I don't know about the arrangements. But is this a "Beach Boys" show with Mike signing a couple of books or is this a book signing with the "Beach Boys" appearing? If the latter is the case, is Mike allowed to use the name for his own non-touring events? Sorry if this is stupid but the whole thing is kinda puzzling at times...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »

Maybe someone knows the answer to this as I don't know about the arrangements. But is this a "Beach Boys" show with Mike signing a couple of books or is this a book signing with the "Beach Boys" appearing? If the latter is the case, is Mike allowed to use the name for his own non-touring events? Sorry if this is stupid but the whole thing is kinda puzzling at times...

I'm sure there are a myriad of ways Mike could do this without problems. Mike's band does TV shows and other "non concert" appearances.

There are other ways he could get around it too. He or his publisher in arranging the book event could essentially "hire" Mike's "Beach Boys" for the event; essentially a double billing of Mike Love signing his book and a short performance by his "Beach Boys." This is actually quite possible, as the other musicians would still have to be paid.

What I hadn't really thought about in the past is how the licensing fee due to BRI is handled when Mike's band does gigs for free or otherwise aren't paid by a promoter, etc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:12:26 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 08:28:16 AM »

Would be great if the infamous "chicken shits" paid the one grand and showed up at the private party.  Jedi Duel
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »

I'm sorry, but this whole thread is hilarious.  Good work, folks.

Where to start?  I guess we'll have to wait for the videos after the event.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »

Damn straight OSD, "Mr. clean living" was drunk out of his mind and did far more damage to the BBs than "druggie" wilsons could ever do.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »

I'm sure there are a myriad of ways Mike could do this without problems. Mike's band does TV shows and other "non concert" appearances.

There are other ways he could get around it too. He or his publisher in arranging the book event could essentially "hire" Mike's "Beach Boys" for the event; essentially a double billing of Mike Love signing his book and a short performance by his "Beach Boys." This is actually quite possible, as the other musicians would still have to be paid.

What I hadn't really thought about in the past is how the licensing fee due to BRI is handled when Mike's band does gigs for free or otherwise aren't paid by a promoter, etc.

Thank you! I was a little irritated because this kinda sounded like a Mike book signing featuring "The Beach Boys". But it might very well be that they are two separate bookings (no pun!)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »

Totally!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 10:55:28 PM »

Thank you! I was a little irritated because this kinda sounded like a Mike book signing featuring "The Beach Boys". But it might very well be that they are two separate bookings (no pun!)
I'm curious. The link above doesn't actually say they're billed as The Beach Boys. It says "Love and his band (which also features Beach Boys member Bruce Johnston)."
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »

Hopefully he will recite the speech again, its kind of like his Gettysburg Address, after all.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 03:00:29 PM »

Hopefully he will recite the speech again, its kind of like his Gettysburg Address, after all.

Grin I'm game to hear it if he wears an Abe Lincoln top hat, starts with "Four score and seven years ago..." and then proceeds to read the original speech verbatim.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 06:02:02 PM »

But this time, not forgetting Bob Dylan and Elton John!

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 02:19:23 AM »

Why not invite all those he mentioned to give their opinion of him? That would be more amusing.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 03:44:20 AM »

Clips:
1: https://youtu.be/ISjPNoLscqI
2: https://youtu.be/CmIJcSQ1Xhw
3: https://youtu.be/TeIf9Jv4WTk
4: https://youtu.be/WjreSv75EOk

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »

Anyone notice that all four videos have shut down the "comments" feature? Hey, that's just not fair but I'm very sure that myKe luHv's people arranged that.  LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 08:23:54 AM »

It's a luhv thang... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »

They know OSD is lurking..  Evil

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx