gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:50:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's side projects  (Read 4281 times)
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:06:50 AM »

I guess the most underrated aspect of Brian's work are his little side-projects, like covers in tribute albums and backing vocals in other artists' songs. Some of those turn out to be real gems: the first coming to my mind are "Listen To Me", "Wanderlust", "Hand On My Shoulder".
Someone should compile and issue a "Pet Projects II" album.
Is there anybody having a complete or near complete list of these side-projects?

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:02 AM »

I guess the most underrated aspect of Brian's work are his little side-projects, like covers in tribute albums and backing vocals in other artists' songs. Some of those turn out to be real gems: the first coming to my mind are "Listen To Me", "Wanderlust", "Hand On My Shoulder".
Is there anybody having a complete or near complete list of these side-projects?

On the old german Beach Boys messageboard we compiled a 2-disc collection of Brian's recordings that weren't on one of his albums (or only as bonus for download etc). Excluding live recordings, Christmas songs, guest performances on other artists recordings and unreleased stuff. That was shortly after That Lucky Old Sun came out, so since then there are like 7 new ones afaik.

We called it "Believe in yourself - The solo works of Brian Wilson"
The artwork was really just a quick copy&paste like job I did, so very amateurish, since I don't know nothing about such work. But anyway, here's front and back cover:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »

Thanks Rocker. The work you did confirms that there is a lot of that stuff around, some of it very good. Good job on the covers! Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »

No reflection on you, Rocker, but when I clicked on the back cover to have a closer look I got all sorts of evil pop-up sh*t instead. :=(

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »

No reflection on you, Rocker, but when I clicked on the back cover to have a closer look I got all sorts of evil pop-up sh*t instead. :=(

Huh Works for me. I just tried it.....

Thanks Rocker. The work you did confirms that there is a lot of that stuff around, some of it very good. Good job on the covers! Smiley

Haha, thank you  Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:24:12 AM »

Huh Works for me. I just tried it.....

Works fine for me as well.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »

With "What a wonderful world" being released I thought it would be nice to see what songs Brian released since the compilation (see above) we did on the old german BBs board stopped. The rules are the same as before. The song must be a official release but not part of a regular album, no Christmas songs (one could think about a disc dedicated only to Christmas tunes), no live recordings, no duetts.

I'll try my best and see what I can think of right now. The order should be chronological. Please fill in if I forget anything or whatever you think should be noted. I don't think I'll get the order right:

California Sun
Listen to me
Wanderlust
Let's call the whole thing off
A dream is a wish your heart makes
Peace on earth (is this considered a Christmas song?)

The following songs were only released on the deluxe edition of No Pier Pressure:

Don't worry
I'm feeling sad

In the back of my mind (bonus track on NPP, but I would exclude this)

Run James run
Some sweet day

What a wonderful world

I took these three off of the list, because they are duetts with Al.

Somewhere quiet
Slopp John B.
Wouldn't it be nice
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:26:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »

How about "Drivin'," also with Al?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »

How about "Drivin'," also with Al?

That wouldn't go with the rules. No deutts, no guest appearances by Brian on other people's songs as long as those are not Brian singing solo (as on "What a wonderful world").
BTW I changed the list above, because some of the songs don't fit either.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:28:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »

On the old german Beach Boys messageboard we compiled a 2-disc collection of Brian's recordings that weren't on one of his albums (or only as bonus for download etc). Excluding live recordings, Christmas songs, guest performances on other artists recordings and unreleased stuff. That was shortly after That Lucky Old Sun came out, so since then there are like 7 new ones afaik.

The artwork was really just a quick copy&paste like job I did, so very amateurish, since I don't know nothing about such work. But anyway, here's front and back cover:

Well, I’ve extensively studied graphic design (didn’t finish for life-got-in-the-way reasons) and design my own BW/BBs album covers in Photoshop, and I gotta commend you on that back cover. When I was reading the track list I thought I was looking at some illustration of a weirdly bright blazing sun in a late summer sky only to realize it was the center of an orange. That’s awesome.

I’d love to see a release along these lines someday.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »

Wonderful idea and very spiffy execution, Rocker--let's hope it gets into the "pipeline" sometime soon and is given serious consideration for an official release. The more Brian product available, the better!
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56:20 PM »

Enter https://beachboyslegacy.com/ and click on Brian Wilson, Various Artists category.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 12:05:45 AM »

And? It just shows his relatively recent appearance on a George Harrison tribute album .

Edit: Nevermind, I see now.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:08:20 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 02:43:42 AM »

Enter https://beachboyslegacy.com/ and click on Brian Wilson, Various Artists category.

Great! Thanks for the link. I guess right now there's nothing missing. So, just short a couple of songs for a third CD.

Well, I’ve extensively studied graphic design (didn’t finish for life-got-in-the-way reasons) and design my own BW/BBs album covers in Photoshop, and I gotta commend you on that back cover. When I was reading the track list I thought I was looking at some illustration of a weirdly bright blazing sun in a late summer sky only to realize it was the center of an orange. That’s awesome.

I’d love to see a release along these lines someday.

Thank you!  Smiley But none of that is my work. IIRC (it's been a couple of years obviously) I just used google search and typed in probably "California" or something like that. Maybe even "orange" because I wanted to have that color.

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 03:28:33 AM »

Yeah, but you had the idea and put it there. Here’s the cover of a best of compilation I made some years back, and virtually none of it is mine, from the photographs, to the shapes to the fonts. It’s what you do with it the pieces that matters. After all, it’s not like Brian Wilson invented the chords he was using.

Anyway, my cover I mentioned (sorry it’s so huge):

When I can, I’d like to make my own compilation of Brian’s rare solo output and create a cover for it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:31:22 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »

I like that. Looks very professional. It's cool that you actually incorporate the shot from Paradise Cove into the rest of the colors instead of just putting a frame around it. I know, just a small thing but it really catches my eye.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx