gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
622473 Posts in 25034 Topics by 3555 Members - Latest Member: Spoonito December 10, 2017, 04:19:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old Record Parade  (Read 8785 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »

Thanks. Hadn't heard the Larry Williams version of Slow Down.

I got interested in Carl Perkins after becoming a fan of Elvis back in the 70s.  Listening to his Sun recordings led me to explore Perkins. I bought a 45 of Matchbox at an old record store. Also a 45 of Blue Suede Shoes b/w Honey Don't. Those are some great records.
just spent an enjoyable time listening to these records along with Elvis' Mystery Train (one of my all time favorites).

Thanks again!  Smiley

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Someone...handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known." - Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize Speech.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »

Thanks. Hadn't heard the Larry Williams version of Slow Down.

I got interested in Carl Perkins after becoming a fan of Elvis back in the 70s.  Listening to his Sun recordings led me to explore Perkins. I bought a 45 of Matchbox at an old record store. Also a 45 of Blue Suede Shoes b/w Honey Don't. Those are some great records.
just spent an enjoyable time listening to these records along with Elvis' Mystery Train (one of my all time favorites).

Thanks again!  Smiley

You're welcome, E. Carl Perkins has a fantastic catalogue of songs, so many of them regarded as classics and rightly so.

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »

A radio station has temporarily gone to a "Beach Music" format.
I was introduced to Beach Music, also known as Carolina Beach Music, when I lived in North Carolina in the early 1980s. Beach Music is popular primarily in North and South Carolina, and also in the coastal areas of Virginia, Maryland, and perhaps Pennsylvania. Basically, what is known as the US Middle Atlantic States.
Beach Music is r and b that can be adaptable to the dance known as the Shag.
A number of regional groups are known for this type of music, such as The Tams, The Tymes, and The Chairmen of the Board.  Also other groups/singers such as The Drifters, Gene Chandler, have songs that fit the mold.
Wonderful music for a warm summer's night...

One of the most frequently played when I was living there, and one I heard yesterday, is by The Tams - "Be Young, Be Foolish, but Be Happy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfaR6IuO-4

Another I heard a lot is by The Tymes - "Ms Grace". Just found out that this was a big hit in the UK in the mid-70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UdO7eHEpQ

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Someone...handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known." - Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize Speech.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2017, 05:37:24 AM »

This seems as good a place as any to post this. There's plenty of talk about the falsetto prowess of Brian and Frankie V. One name that is invariably left out of the discussion is that of Lou Christie. His "Wild Life's In Season", produced by Jack Nitzsche, is a must-hear (regrettably no longer on YouTube). "Trapeze" is another winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywjpPP93vGE

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx