gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:30:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Plays Guitar And Sings 'Glow Crescent Glow', Friday 9-16-16!  (Read 7911 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »

From an event Friday at The Songwriting School of LA, a short video from Mike's FB of him playing guitar and singing Glow Crescent Glow - click on this link to watch:

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/14399015_1233554683352935_793787660_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJ2M182NDBfY3JmXzIzX21haW5fMy4wX3NkIn0%3D&rl=1500&vabr=353&oh=43f2c78593ead1dd7893ec5e15b1b4e4&oe=57DECD6B

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »

WoW! MIKE IN GUITAR
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:47:01 AM »

Wow. Never saw that coming. Good for him.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »

Wow. Never saw that coming. Good for him.

Yes indeed. Kudos to the man.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:01:09 AM »

This is pretty rad. I wonder if it's in response to people online pondering if he has done much with instruments. Maybe Mike doesn't have enough self-confidence in himself as anything but a singer/lyricist, but it's pretty cool to see him giving things like this a shot publicly.

Frankly I think he should have picked up a guitar like this more often over the years, even if just in little semi-informal performances like this, as it wouldn't have hurt people's image of him. Even at a BB show or two. Can you imagine? It gives him a bit of a shot in the arm in terms of vulnerability and sensitivity as an artist. I like the idea of Mike doing something that is outside of his comfort zone, I give him props for it.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:04:26 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »

An alternate world emerges in which Mike Love is a "Singer-Songwriter". That song actually sounds pretty good ... "Big Sur"/"Let the Wind Blow" vibe.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »

he plays like a 6-year old but I'm glad y'all like it!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »

This is one of the songs from the Caribou phase? Did they actually record this tune? Is it part of the tapes lost in the fire?

Mike could have gone a long way toward bridging some of the "gaposis" by adding a "change of pace" moment in the show where he would sing a song from the "hippie" phase of his ongoing TM weltanschauung. He could have taken the moment down to this with a brief recitation about the band's efforts in the "lean times" and the team effort to write songs. He could do the acoustic version of "Big Sur," then follow it with "California", and then move back into more "mainstream" material.

He could still do that...
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 09:58:46 AM »

This is really cool to see. Quite endearing too.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »

WOW glad to see mike playing on the guitar good for him! Hope to see that more often! Nice song too! Hope that song gets released!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

link expired......

any help?
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »

link expired......

any help?
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/ its about the fourth post down!Enjoy!
Scaroline No
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »

Oh my goodness, that's adorable. I mean that entirely without snark Smiley
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:31:31 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »

WOW glad to see mike playing on the guitar good for him! Hope to see that more often! Nice song too! Hope that song gets released!

Actually already was, on ESQs collection The Boys Of Summer, which also has Brian's "Spirit of Rock & Roll" and Mike's "Cool Head, Warm Heart" on it.

On that release though, it's called "Love Like In Fairytales."
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »

This is one of the songs from the Caribou phase? Did they actually record this tune? Is it part of the tapes lost in the fire?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the song was originally recorded during the 15 Big Ones sessions in 1976. Mike then re-recorded the song around 2007 for the unreleased Unleash the Love album.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »

Oh my! That was predictably disturbing in every way possible and falling into the same mold of what he calls songwriting.  Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the song was originally recorded during the 15 Big Ones sessions in 1976. Mike then re-recorded the song around 2007 for the unreleased Unleash the Love album.

I know it's said that it was recording either before or during the 15 Big Ones sessions, but I'm skeptical. So much has been leaked out and/or mentioned, but never much bout this or Al's supposed "Gold Rush." I have a feeling this one never reached fruition until Mike's sessions earlier in the 2000s.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:47:07 AM by Principal Lee Russell » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »

I know it's said that it was recording either before or during the 15 Big Ones sessions, but I'm skeptical. So much has been leaked out and/or mentioned, but never much bout this or Al's supposed "Gold Rush." I have a feeling this one never reached fruition until Mike's sessions earlier in the 2000s.

The song was origonaly recorded for Mike loves 1978 solo album First Love. This song has been booted.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »

To clarify if anyone is confused, as I understand it, Mike cut the song back circa 1978 as "Glow Grescent Glow", and *that* version (not sure if more than one) has circulated for eons.

He then cut the song again circa 2004 or whenever those "Mike Love Not War" tracks circulated around 2004. As with all of that material, none of it had official titles but everyone assumed it would be the same "Glow Crescent Glow" title.

But then at some point either before or after that set of recordings made the rounds, Mike renamed the song "Love Like in Fairytales", and it was included on an ESQ compilation CD several years back. My recollection is it was the same version that had circulated on that circa 2004 set of recordings; I don't know if the mix was identical or not.

A number of those circa 2004 recordings were simply remakes of his 1978 era unreleased solo stuff, which makes sense since it was the same producer all those years later, Paul Fauerso. "Daybreak over the Ocean" was of course old, as was "Glow Crescent Glow", "Brian's Back", and Christian Love's takes on "I Don't Wanna Know" and "Too Cruel." Mike also of course re-did "Everyone's In Love With You" as well, and even "10,000 Years" came from the late 70s track that he and Dennis had both (separately apparently) tackled at various points.

I don't know how much Mike will utilize these early 2000s recordings for his eventual solo album, as he is apparently working with a different producer, Michael Lloyd. Don't know if that guy will get anything better or worse out of Mike. He apparently produced "Alone on Christmas Day" last year and that was pretty mediocre and slathered in autotune. The guy seems to run in those same circles as Mike as far as being buddies with Stamos and Full House alumni and all of that. His resume includes 70s work with the Osmonds, Shaun Cassidy, and Leif Garrett. I'm sure he's still a working producer, but most of the bios I can find on the guy can't seem to find much of note to mention past the 80s.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:33:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »

I think there’s a new recording of it in the Mike’s book’s trailer, too, if I’m not mistaken.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 08:52:22 AM »

I think there’s a new recording of it in the Mike’s book’s trailer, too, if I’m not mistaken.

Sounded like the same one from the Boys Of Summer comp, but maybe I'm wrong, as it seemed everything else in the trailer were new versions.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »

He doesn't look real comfortable with a fretboard.   

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 05:49:26 PM »

To clarify if anyone is confused, as I understand it, Mike cut the song back circa 1978 as "Glow Grescent Glow", and *that* version (not sure if more than one) has circulated for eons.

He then cut the song again circa 2004 or whenever those "Mike Love Not War" tracks circulated around 2004. As with all of that material, none of it had official titles but everyone assumed it would be the same "Glow Crescent Glow" title.

But then at some point either before or after that set of recordings made the rounds, Mike renamed the song "Love Like in Fairytales", and it was included on an ESQ compilation CD several years back.  

I wonder why Mike changed the song to have such a clunky title. Oddly, the changed title sort of inadvertently rips off Brian's "Fairy Tale" title, though I'm not sure if GIOMH came out first or after the ESQ CD.

I think it's possible, or maybe probable that Mike wanted yet another song with "Love" in the title, and that's why he changed the title. Definitely a title change for the worse, IMO. And on one of his better solo songs too. It's so goofy, Mike's inclination to always have "Love" in song or (mostly unreleased) solo album titles is definitely a case of Mike having the "Shortenin' Bread" wacky tick, but in a more "hey, it's a song by ME, a guy named LOVE, get it?" kind of way. That's my take, anyway. I'll admit it was funny/cute like once with the LBWL title... but after that, it got old QUICK.

Hopefully if he releases the song on an actual future album, it'll go back to the GCG title. He could always also contact G.L.O.W. and do a female wrestling tie-in!  Grin I seriously hope not, though. Mike needs to widen his catalog of having more sweet, sensitive material, free of old song references, or references to his own name. Kinda like Cool Head, Warm Heart. Seriously, for reals.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:00:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 05:58:35 PM »

I am reminded of OSD house. Grin https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »

I am reminded of OSD house. Grin https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Had I been there...but no "sorry". Evil

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx