gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:37:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on "Access Hollywood" this morning.  (Read 10164 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 10:09:27 PM »

'Brian is controlled', I believe he is supported, now how much is another question.  I don't think Brian would be doing what he is doing
is he really didn't want to.   In the history of Brian, he has always needed a fire up his ass to do good things, and I think it is
the same way now.  Without those around him, he would probably wither and die in a corner somewhere, so we should be thankful
they have found the means to make the big fella 'put out'.
Still, the man is 74 years old, I am a bit concerned that he is doing more than expected.
I'd rather see him kickin around home and venturing into the studio to do a few things here and there instead of touring the
word and wearing himself out.  Something does not seem right having Bri commit to x amount of dates and counting,
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »

LOL

And Bruce already eats kittens, so it works!

the ALF/cat signs were there all along starting with Rockin The Man in the Boat...

Sorry, it is Friday after all  Grin

You win!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 06:17:04 AM »

Brian isn't controlled...like all successful people he is loved and assisted.

Control 'this'.   LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 08:51:27 AM »

I would say the jury is out on how "controlled" Brian is by others - it depends on what you mean by controlled, and how willing Brian may be to let others make some decisions for him so he doesn't have to deal with it.  If you want some degree of control by others and allow it, is it really control or delegating?

I would say that Brian is "protected" by Melinda and her team - protected from unpleasant or what they believe would be unpleasant interactions, protected from situations that would adversely affect his mental health and his mood, protected from situations that would be bad for his physical health.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  And I believe Brian has the ability to do something he wants to do despite his "team" not necessarily thinking it a good idea, if he really wants to do it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »

What I noticed after watching a bunch of video interviews of Mike promoting his book is that he's talking about Brian having an agent and manager and other staff working with him as if it's either a negative thing or like it's something no other successful or celebrity musician or artist has...including Mike. Mike has an agent, a manager, a PR staff, tour staff, a producer who works on his records, a legal team...so is Mike being 'controlled'? Maybe I'm seeing a negativity by mistake, but a lot of it comes down to the questions of whether Mike and Brian would work together again, or of them working together period. And Mike comes back to saying "if we could go into a room together with a piano, we'd write a song...", then suggests that can't happen due to reasons including agents, managers, and other outside influences depending on what interview it is.

It just feels like an unusual point to keep making, considering Brian has been married for 21 years and has a family, and if that's what Mike is hinting at via keeping the two of them out of the proverbial room with a piano, that won't be changing anytime soon as a marriage and family would tend to outweigh collaborating on songs. And bringing up managers, agents, etc as possible reasons why they're not in that room with a piano is as odd of a reason as it has been for years considering it's the way the entertainment business works. Artists have lawyers, agents, and managers, and Mike is no different. So how is Brian different by having the same kind of setup as Mike and tens of thousands of other artists? I just don't get it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »

Mike has a PR staff Craig?  Fire them.  They're doing a piss-poor job.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »

I think he means that he can't just "come over" or call and say "Hi, Bri, whatcha doing." In his book he speaks lovingly of their writing all night and collapsing at 2 am, emotionally drained. I think he simply means that Melinda just won't permit anything like that from happening. So "managers, etc" is code, as it has been since the Capital roof reunion, for "Melinda."

And we all react to this differently: many defend her as a noble lioness. I rather would think she could see beyond and work actively to get the cousins together for the sake of world artistic history--the cosmic history that the 2 men participate in and in which she has no rights nor role.

BTW: guitarfool is a brilliant writer--best critical prose on this board

What I noticed after watching a bunch of video interviews of Mike promoting his book is that he's talking about Brian having an agent and manager and other staff working with him as if it's either a negative thing or like it's something no other successful or celebrity musician or artist has...including Mike. Mike has an agent, a manager, a PR staff, tour staff, a producer who works on his records, a legal team...so is Mike being 'controlled'? Maybe I'm seeing a negativity by mistake, but a lot of it comes down to the questions of whether Mike and Brian would work together again, or of them working together period. And Mike comes back to saying "if we could go into a room together with a piano, we'd write a song...", then suggests that can't happen due to reasons including agents, managers, and other outside influences depending on what interview it is.

It just feels like an unusual point to keep making, considering Brian has been married for 21 years and has a family, and if that's what Mike is hinting at via keeping the two of them out of the proverbial room with a piano, that won't be changing anytime soon as a marriage and family would tend to outweigh collaborating on songs. And bringing up managers, agents, etc as possible reasons why they're not in that room with a piano is as odd of a reason as it has been for years considering it's the way the entertainment business works. Artists have lawyers, agents, and managers, and Mike is no different. So how is Brian different by having the same kind of setup as Mike and tens of thousands of other artists? I just don't get it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »

I would say the jury is out on how "controlled" Brian is by others - it depends on what you mean by controlled, and how willing Brian may be to let others make some decisions for him so he doesn't have to deal with it.  If you want some degree of control by others and allow it, is it really control or delegating?

I would say that Brian is "protected" by Melinda and her team - protected from unpleasant or what they believe would be unpleasant interactions, protected from situations that would adversely affect his mental health and his mood, protected from situations that would be bad for his physical health.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  And I believe Brian has the ability to do something he wants to do despite his "team" not necessarily thinking it a good idea, if he really wants to do it.

You hit the nail on the head

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »

I think he means that he can't just "come over" or call and say "Hi, Bri, whatcha doing." In his book he speaks lovingly of their writing all night and collapsing at 2 am, emotionally drained. I think he simply means that Melinda just won't permit anything like that from happening. So "managers, etc" is code, as it has been since the Capital roof reunion, for "Melinda."

And we all react to this differently: many defend her as a noble lioness. I rather would think she could see beyond and work actively to get the cousins together for the sake of world artistic history--the cosmic history that the 2 men participate in and in which she has no rights nor role.

But what if Brian doesn't want to work with Mike?

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »

They are 74 and 75 year olds. The days of writing until 3 AM are long gone.  Mike's gotta realize that, we all wish we were younger.
I can't honestly believe Mike would ever believe that if Brian wanted to work with him, it would be like 1965 again. I wish I was 21 again, but it's not practical. I'm sure Mike knows this. But this is where it comes down to ego, if Mike wanted to he could have a relationship with Brian. But that's where Mike needs things on HIS terms and can't put the ego aside.  I wish he realized that the hour glass sands are almost out. I think Al realized that in the last decade and chose to put some things aside to strengthen his friendship with Brian. If Mike wants that, he could do it. If he doesn't, then he needs to stop talking like he does.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »

Somehow my post regarding the Wild Honey cover wound up here, sorry about that.
EoL  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:50:46 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »

But what if Brian doesn't want to work with Mike?

Well, there's that strong possibility given that Brian has been pursuing other projects and neither Mike nor Brian seemed to make much effort to write together on the C-50 tour. and Melinda certainly was not there over periods of time, so anyone trying to blame her doesn't have a clue or is not being forthright.

Regarding these videos, I am both exhausted and ever-more convinced that I do not want his tabloid/click-bait book (like, not purchasing it at gun-point, or FdP demands).  I was fully expecting the O'Reilly buddy thing, but the interviews to date are all grotesque versions of what he apparently sees as the truth being portrayed here.  Same old awful stuff, the occasional new spin.

May we please move on from this thing, and soon...

I'm not speaking to anyone here, nor criticizing - just begging the great powers of the Universe, whatever and wherever they are.  This is as unbearable as the US Presidential election. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »

Excellent as always Rab.  So glad you changed it up and avoided the note-for-note cover idea, I love seeing people take creative liberty with songs instead a straight copy.

EoL 
You reply to wrong thread - the Wild Honey cover is this: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24389.0.html

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2016, 04:51:02 PM »

Excellent as always Rab.  So glad you changed it up and avoided the note-for-note cover idea, I love seeing people take creative liberty with songs instead a straight copy.

EoL 
You reply to wrong thread - the Wild Honey cover is this: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24389.0.html

Oops

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 07:11:54 PM »

Also Mike is going to be on The O'Reilly Factor tonight.  I know this because I was on the other board and filldeplage is trying to convince me that Bill O'Reilly is a credible journalist.  Go figure!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5128971622001/mike-love-enters-the-no-spin-zone/?playlist_id=930909812001#sp=show-clips

More like Mike Love enters the No Fact Zone.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »

Ok, Pulllleeeezzzzz, why is he capitalizing on the the story of the Wilson brothers?  I am so sick of his bringing up this stuff.  If I were to look at Mike Love today and Brian Wilson today, it might be an advertisement for taking drugs!   Brian is so much more chill and Mike seems to have a lot of residual issues around the wilsons drug use.\
P.S.  Why was Mike Love taking a shower at Dennis Wilson's house?   Does anyone else find that weird?  He just stopped by....and needed to take a shower?

Not buying it.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »

I feel like all of these interviews Mike has given the past few months have been 2.5% actual interesting content, 2.5% John Stamos, 5% bragging about not doing drugs, and 90% Charles Manson.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »

myKe luHv is totally controlled by his massive self destructing ego which will eventually do him in mentally. It started years ago and this book is going to play a big part in it.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »

myKe luHv is totally controlled by his massive self destructing ego which will eventually do him in mentally. It started years ago and this book is going to play a big part in it.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »

Ok, Pulllleeeezzzzz, why is he capitalizing on the the story of the Wilson brothers?  I am so sick of his bringing up this stuff.  If I were to look at Mike Love today and Brian Wilson today, it might be an advertisement for taking drugs!   Brian is so much more chill and Mike seems to have a lot of residual issues around the wilsons drug use.\
P.S.  Why was Mike Love taking a shower at Dennis Wilson's house?   Does anyone else find that weird?  He just stopped by....and needed to take a shower?

Not buying it.

LOL - Yes, I hope in my mid-70's, I'd be more like Brian's than Mike's public image. 

Like so many others, I found that "shower scene" pretty strange, and as usual the press didn't, well, "press" him.  Of course, it was a fluff piece anyway to them so they just let him pose teary-eyed about his many slights and didn't question any of the discrepancies in his claims.  If we aren't used to it by now, we'd better get used to it.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »

Not buying it.

Thought the same myself. You might ask to use the bathroom but in order to visit the loo and wash your hands. A shower? Why would Mike have needed a shower? Please don't answer. Ignorance is bliss.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »

Not buying it.

Thought the same myself. You might ask to use the bathroom but in order to visit the loo and wash your hands. A shower? Why would Mike have needed a shower? Please don't answer. Ignorance is bliss.

Wasn't it implied that he was going in there to hook up with a lady?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »

Brian and Mike could have found a way to write together if both of them wanted. I doubt Melinda would be opposed to the two of them meeting (if she really is in the first place) if Brian really wanted to write with Mike.

True, they are not kids anymore but where would the harm be in writing together? It could be therapeutic for Brian. In their mid-70's, maybe they can put out some very interesting material.

Brian's input is realistic - as the last three songs on TWGMTR show. Beautiful in the raw way he is facing his age. Mike may never grow up and wants to write fun, happy songs. I find nothing wrong with that. They have combined melancholy themes in upbeat songs before. Maybe they can do it again and maybe they cannot, but I would love to see them try.

I find it hard to believe that Mike could not just hop in a car and swing by Brian's to say hello without a lot of interference.

The idea that they are old and cannot stay up late is ludicrous. I have done some things in my 50s that I could not have done in my 20's. If you want it badly enough, you will make it happen.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »

Brian and Mike could have found a way to write together if both of them wanted. I doubt Melinda would be opposed to the two of them meeting (if she really is in the first place) if Brian really wanted to write with Mike.

True, they are not kids anymore but where would the harm be in writing together? It could be therapeutic for Brian. In their mid-70's, maybe they can put out some very interesting material.

Brian's input is realistic - as the last three songs on TWGMTR show. Beautiful in the raw way he is facing his age. Mike may never grow up and wants to write fun, happy songs. I find nothing wrong with that. They have combined melancholy themes in upbeat songs before. Maybe they can do it again and maybe they cannot, but I would love to see them try.

I find it hard to believe that Mike could not just hop in a car and swing by Brian's to say hello without a lot of interference.

The idea that they are old and cannot stay up late is ludicrous. I have done some things in my 50s that I could not have done in my 20's. If you want it badly enough, you will make it happen.

I think most fans would love to see something like that happen if in fact Brian wanted it to happen, but the truth of the matter is that when Mike does things like miming a shotgun blast of the head when talking about Brian's most sensitive material on the album (and has the cojones to do something so insensitive  publicly, no less), it's pretty tough to think that privately, behind closed doors, in a situation with just the two of them, that he wouldn't similarly berate sensitive material. Maybe even more so. Does anyone think that shotgun thing is defensible, or remotely appropriate?  If Mike had his way, we might not even have had those last three songs in their current form.

And of course, this might cause that sensitive material to be junked entirely. It's certainly happened before.  Why does Brian need that kind of nonsense?  And why would anyone think it's out of line for Melinda to take actions to spare Brian from that type of potential interaction? I don't think anyone would begrudge her for doing that if it was a different collaborator who said similar insensitive things.

That said, I'm sure it's possible they could still write great material together. But it seems like Mike has a compulsion to be insensitive, like he literally can't help himself, and this presents a real problem.  Yes Brian is a big boy, but he deserves to be shielded from that type of stuff. It's dysfunctional and toxic behavior, and just because he may be "used" to it from Mike, that doesn't mean it wouldn't have some internal emotional effect on him.  Or at the very least, cause sensitive material to not come to full fruition.

How about the song "one kind of love"? Since Mike obviously does not care for Brian's wife, could a song like that even have come out on a BB album without consternation from Mike, if Mike had the input/clout he was seeking in the band?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:19:13 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 08:19:01 AM »

Ok, Pulllleeeezzzzz, why is he capitalizing on the the story of the Wilson brothers?  I am so sick of his bringing up this stuff.  If I were to look at Mike Love today and Brian Wilson today, it might be an advertisement for taking drugs!   Brian is so much more chill and Mike seems to have a lot of residual issues around the wilsons drug use.\
P.S.  Why was Mike Love taking a shower at Dennis Wilson's house?   Does anyone else find that weird?  He just stopped by....and needed to take a shower?

Not buying it.

Wasn't it implied that he was going in there to hook up with a lady?

What I read/heard seemed to vaguely imply that, but conveniently he left it open so that he can portray himself as the innocent who possibly didn't partake in the same indiscretions as Dennis and - with Dennis as host for awhile - a huge number of people in Hollywood.  No wonder those people were notably so terrified.

I was listening to the WSJ article.  There are so many interests I share with Mike - the origins of languages, history, mythology and Eastern religion, star-gazing, etc.   It would be so convenient to like him.   Important note:  I would like to make the point that Brian and I also enjoyed those discussions and he was quite well-aware and educated on all of these topics and quite capable of creating his own "concepts" in a quite literate fashion, even at the worst of times - thank you very much!

But then it inevitably starts - Mike's self-serving and ever-expanding history re-write, and his attacks on people I care about.  It's unbearable, yet I finally sat through the whole thing.  Good heavens, the longer you let him talk, the more he's willing to "give his side of the story" to the point of complete absurdity.  I seriously doubt that we'll see a "tit for tat" from Brian, and I think Mike is counting on that.  Just awful.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:39:59 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx