gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:49:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on "Access Hollywood" this morning.  (Read 10096 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »

Ok, Pulllleeeezzzzz, why is he capitalizing on the the story of the Wilson brothers?  I am so sick of his bringing up this stuff.  If I were to look at Mike Love today and Brian Wilson today, it might be an advertisement for taking drugs!   Brian is so much more chill and Mike seems to have a lot of residual issues around the wilsons drug use.\
P.S.  Why was Mike Love taking a shower at Dennis Wilson's house?   Does anyone else find that weird?  He just stopped by....and needed to take a shower?

Not buying it.

Thought the same myself. You might ask to use the bathroom but in order to visit the loo and wash your hands. A shower? Why would Mike have needed a shower? Please don't answer. Ignorance is bliss.

Wasn't it implied that he was going in there to hook up with a lady?

What I read/heard seemed to vaguely imply that, but conveniently he left it open so that he can portray himself as the innocent who possibly didn't partake in the same indiscretions as Dennis and - with Dennis as host for awhile - a huge number of people in Hollywood.  No wonder those people were notably so terrified.

I was listening to the WSJ article.  There are so many interests I share with Mike - interest in origins of languages, history, star-gazing, etc.  It would be so convenient to like him.  But then it inevitably starts - his self-serving and ever-expanding history re-write, and his attacks on people I care about.  It's unbearable.

I know what you mean, Debbie. I go back-and-forth between having genuine empathy for him, feeling sorry for him not being happy/feeling underappreciated, and just rolling my eyes and shaking my head. He really is his own worst enemy, and it's very unfortunate because I genuinely think he has good person qualities too. Being that you know the people who are on the receiving end of the attacks, I can imagine it's an entirely different experience with you.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2016, 08:39:48 AM »

Ok, Pulllleeeezzzzz, why is he capitalizing on the the story of the Wilson brothers?  I am so sick of his bringing up this stuff.  If I were to look at Mike Love today and Brian Wilson today, it might be an advertisement for taking drugs!   Brian is so much more chill and Mike seems to have a lot of residual issues around the wilsons drug use.\
P.S.  Why was Mike Love taking a shower at Dennis Wilson's house?   Does anyone else find that weird?  He just stopped by....and needed to take a shower?

Not buying it.

Thought the same myself. You might ask to use the bathroom but in order to visit the loo and wash your hands. A shower? Why would Mike have needed a shower? Please don't answer. Ignorance is bliss.

What I read/heard seemed to vaguely imply that, but conveniently he left it open so that he can portray himself as the innocent who possibly didn't partake in the same indiscretions as Dennis and - with Dennis as host for awhile - a huge number of people in Hollywood.  No wonder those people were notably so terrified.

I was listening to the WSJ article.  There are so many interests I share with Mike - interest in origins of languages, history, star-gazing, etc.  It would be so convenient to like him.  But then it inevitably starts - his self-serving and ever-expanding history re-write, and his attacks on people I care about.  It's unbearable.

I'd agree that the implication was vague. Bringing up the indiscretions of others and being vague about one's own is not IMO a very honest approach to writing memoirs.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »

Not buying it.

I know what you mean, Debbie. I go back-and-forth between having genuine empathy for him, feeling sorry for him not being happy/feeling underappreciated, and just rolling my eyes and shaking my head. He really is his own worst enemy, and it's very unfortunate because I genuinely think he has good person qualities too. Being that you know the people who are on the receiving end of the attacks, I can imagine it's an entirely different experience with you.

Maybe that's why we get so annoyed by the "Mike-hater" crap we're accused of.  I genuinely had pleasant experiences with him - as I've said many times before - and would like to enjoy him as a whole person before I die.

The WSJ article was the most excruciating for me.  It started so well (aside from his alluding to the fact that he was the "concepts guy."  Please note my edit to my previous post:  "Important note:  I would like to make the point that Brian and I also enjoyed those discussions and he was quite well-aware and educated on all of these topics and quite capable of creating his own "concepts" in a quite literate fashion, even at the worst of times - thank you very much!")

But then he always devolves into self-serving crap that over-exaggerates everyone else's challenges and limitations and ignores his own - until he takes it all into areas of ridiculous misrepresentation "Brian is controlled" - or the blatant implication that this is so.  Knowing how hard Melinda, Brian's family and support staff and friends work to see that his desires and interests are met, it is genuinely anger-inducing.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »

I have only read excerpts of the book from Amazon thus far, so I don't know if Mike describes the creative process that he and Brian had "back in the day." But aside from several of "the departed" who still seem bound and determined to elevate Mike's level of participation in the songwriting process beyond writing lyrics, I find it highly likely that Mike's own relentless desire for songwriting credit (again, read the salient passages in Jim Murphy's BECOMING THE BEACH BOYS for confirmation) may have had as much to do with Brian shying away from him and seeking collaborators who could bring something extra to the table that he felt he needed to "grow" his work...

And then, of course, the complications of family and the fact that Mike was an integral part of the performing group made it more difficult for Brian to achieve artistic independence, a process that kept escalating to the point where he was out there in late 1966-early 1967 trying to do something beyond his existing levels of expertise with the added pressure of having to follow up the freakiest #1 single ever released...

It sure seems that Brian and Mike had their last real set of "2 o'clock"-style sessions around the time of WILD HONEY. While there would still be songwriting collaborations here and there, most of the time after this Brian was working with other people--or, as in the case of LOVE YOU, on his own. Mike (and his minions) will iikely counter that there are a large number of Wilson/Love titles on MIU and LA, but anyone actually paying attention will recognize that these tunes came out of a "shotgun wedding" scenario and clearly suffer from what is clearly an undercurrent of coercion.

Even though Brian was quoted as saying he couldn't remember making MIU, I suspect he remembers the coercion--and doesn't want to relive those days in any way, shape or form. That he has someone like Melinda who can help him live the best possible life and screen out coercive influences seems to be something that really bugs Mike, and motivates him to do what he does, particularly on broadcast media, where he has always tended to come off at his worst.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »

I have only read excerpts of the book from Amazon thus far, so I don't know if Mike describes the creative process that he and Brian had "back in the day." But aside from several of "the departed" who still seem bound and determined to elevate Mike's level of participation in the songwriting process beyond writing lyrics, I find it highly likely that Mike's own relentless desire for songwriting credit (again, read the salient passages in Jim Murphy's BECOMING THE BEACH BOYS for confirmation) may have had as much to do with Brian shying away from him and seeking collaborators who could bring something extra to the table that he felt he needed to "grow" his work...

And then, of course, the complications of family and the fact that Mike was an integral part of the performing group made it more difficult for Brian to achieve artistic independence, a process that kept escalating to the point where he was out there in late 1966-early 1967 trying to do something beyond his existing levels of expertise with the added pressure of having to follow up the freakiest #1 single ever released...

It sure seems that Brian and Mike had their last real set of "2 o'clock"-style sessions around the time of WILD HONEY. While there would still be songwriting collaborations here and there, most of the time after this Brian was working with other people--or, as in the case of LOVE YOU, on his own. Mike (and his minions) will iikely counter that there are a large number of Wilson/Love titles on MIU and LA, but anyone actually paying attention will recognize that these tunes came out of a "shotgun wedding" scenario and clearly suffer from what is clearly an undercurrent of coercion.

Even though Brian was quoted as saying he couldn't remember making MIU, I suspect he remembers the coercion--and doesn't want to relive those days in any way, shape or form. That he has someone like Melinda who can help him live the best possible life and screen out coercive influences seems to be something that really bugs Mike, and motivates him to do what he does, particularly on broadcast media, where he has always tended to come off at his worst.

Perfectly said.  MIU -no memories - can anyone blame Brian?  It was a horrible time for him.  He's had his share.  He should never have to re-live any of them.  Believe me, I know.  I can barely cope with having observed various times of what he lived through.  How he survived, I'll never know.  I'm just very appreciative that he was tough enough to do it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:34:32 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx