gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:12:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson audiobook version  (Read 3777 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »

According to Amazon, the audio version is being read by a professional narrator named Fred Berman.  That's a little disappointing, I was under the impression Brian would be reading it himself.  Perhaps that would be too taxing for him.  It's odd to hear an autobiography in somebody else's voice.  I have some free Audible credits but I guess I'll save one for something else and just read the book the old fashioned way and hear Brian's voice in my head.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »

According to Amazon, the audio version is being read by a professional narrator named Fred Berman.  That's a little disappointing, I was under the impression Brian would be reading it himself.  Perhaps that would be too taxing for him.  It's odd to hear an autobiography in somebody else's voice.  I have some free Audible credits but I guess I'll save one for something else and just read the book the old fashioned way and hear Brian's voice in my head.

As appealing at that would be, I couldn't even imagine Brian narrating the book - particularly given his touring schedule this year.  I think I'll need to go order my audio, though.  How did I miss that?
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »

I tend not to buy audiobooks, but if it had been Paul Dano reading it, I probably would've grabbed it. At this point, I can accept him as a believable substitute voice for Brian. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:26:28 PM »

John Cusack would've been a good pick...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »

John Cusack would've been a good pick...

You're right, Billy - given the tone of the book we've see so far (actually either John Cusack or Paul Dano), but I suspect their schedules and fees might not have been feasible - just guessing, of course.

Now, I need to go order that audio.  I don't know the narrator (which means nothing), but I'm certainly wanting to enjoy the book in my car as well as sitting reading it.  I understand those who prefer to read and hear Brian's voice in their own heads.  I guess I'll be doing both - all personal preference.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »

I guess it is this guy. There is some samples in the Voice Over link.

http://www.fredberman.net
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »

I think it's fine to use a voiceover guy if they're inclined to do an audio version.

I finally just got around to listening to an audio sample of Mike's book, and, I swear to God I'm not trying to go negative, I actually figured it would sound pretty fine and might even be the preferable way to do the book. But it's pretty distracting. Mike reads it like he's, well, reading it rather than reading it in anything approaching a conversational or even monologue tone. He sounds much like his voiceover work on the "Beaks of Eagles" from the "Holland" album. It sounds too flourished and too affected. It's like he's reading a book report to the class. His voice is also pretty raspy. I'm not faulting him, a lot of folks who sing that much and are that age would surely sound like that.

I would guess a lot of audiobooks read by the author might sound like this. Brian's would probably sound similar, so I'm fine with going with a voice guy.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »

what a disappointment  Embarrassed, I was hoping for Dano or a Cusack too.  Seconds thoughts on picking this up now.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »

Same here, I was hoping for The Dude..... he who abides.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:37:58 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »

Yes, it's strange for smb. else to read Brian's book. That said, if Brian barely sits thru half of the interviews, giving short answers etc., reading the long chapters woud be difficult task. Though no idea how it's done - do they attach mic to the mouth & whoever assigned to read does it inside a day? Week?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 07:32:16 AM »

From speaking to someone in the past who read audiobooks, a professional, he said it takes about a week to record a book of this length.  I didn't ask how many hours - presumably 20 to 30 at least.   So Brian would have to carve out that kind of time and deal with the retakes and pronunciations, etc.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »

Think I'll just read it myself. 

ALTHOOOOUUUUGHHHh....if there's an audio version with Mike reading it... ... ...  Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 08:43:18 AM »

I was hoping for Matt Jardine...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »

How about getting Phil Spector to read it? I mean, it's not like he's real busy. Can you imagine his asides? "You mean it took two people to write Little Deuce Coupe" ?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »

Hehe, "good vibrations is an edit record!"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »

too bad Vincent Price isn't alive anymore to do the audiobook.....  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »

too bad Vincent Price isn't alive anymore to do the audiobook.....  LOL

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »

From speaking to someone in the past who read audiobooks, a professional, he said it takes about a week to record a book of this length.  I didn't ask how many hours - presumably 20 to 30 at least.   So Brian would have to carve out that kind of time and deal with the retakes and pronunciations, etc.
Thanks for the info.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx