gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:24:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike opens up about Melinda.  (Read 65815 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2016, 01:45:02 PM »

Secondly, I agree that I don't think it's cool for Melinda to have put Autotune devices on stage without the band members having input on that decision.  

Only issue is...that statement as written is not true, as the shows where auto-tuned was used had Mike and Bruce's voice autotuned as well (not sure on Al). Those devices ceased being used circa end of May, as well. Also, on solo tours, Brian has not used them, yet Mike has.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »

Secondly, I agree that I don't think it's cool for Melinda to have put Autotune devices on stage without the band members having input on that decision.  

Only issue is...that statement as written is not true, as the shows where auto-tuned was used had Mike and Bruce's voice autotuned as well (not sure on Al). Those devices ceased being used circa end of May, as well. Also, on solo tours, Brian has not used them, yet Mike has.

Yeah, it does seem like an all-too-convinient excuse to use in hindsight. As I said, it's hard to think that Mike has some giant beef against Autotune (I wish he did, and I wish all band members did!) in a general sense, because pitch correction has blatantly been used on multiple recent Mike products. I can understand the concept that he wouldn't like someone coming in and making a change like that without getting his input though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:50:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »

Yeah, it does seem like an all-too-convinient excuse to use in hindsight. As I said, it's hard to think that Mike has some giant beef against Autotune (I wish he did, and I wish all band members did!) in a general sense, because pitch correction has blatantly been used on multiple recent Mike products. I can understand the concept that he wouldn't like someone coming in and making a change like that without getting his input though.

I did find that claim odd given that Brian and band don't use the extensive vocal processing that Mike's band has appeared to use recently.  I thought maybe it was just the recordings I was hearing until Stephen Desper confirmed the fact that it was used live at one of Mike's recent shows on this MB.  At Brian's shows over the past years, I didn't have any sense that Brian's voice was altered in any way, nor anyone else's.  But Melinda was the one dying for "auto-tune?"  Another thing that's difficult to integrate.

I also find it interesting that Brian was able to get the 50th deal, and it certainly benefited Mike's profile (and probably ticket sales for his subsequent "BBs" shows) to agree to it, so I don't understand all the complaints - well other than the source of the complaints.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2016, 02:19:41 PM »

I would presume the idea of Melinda putting these devices on stage is meant figuratively. I somehow doubt she personally was sneaking in over night and adding the devices herself.

Does autotune even work that way? I'm sure there are a bunch of different formats, outboard gear versus plug-ins used at the mixing board, etc. But wouldn't they most likely apply autotune back at the board versus actual devices attached to microphones?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »

Does autotune even work that way? I'm sure there are a bunch of different formats, outboard gear versus plug-ins used at the mixing board, etc. But wouldn't they most likely apply autotune back at the board versus actual devices attached to microphones?

Digital plug-ins.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »

I don't have any trouble with the idea that Melinda, perhaps at the behest of, say, Joe Thomas more than arriving at the idea herself, may have been fine if not supportive of autotune. The autotune thing seemed to reassert itself and rear its head in a more forceful fashion when Joe Thomas came on the scene. If she was pushing autotune, and I'm pretty 50/50 at best on Mike's credibility on stories, then that's lamentable and a legit gripe.

But Mike's later use of autotune kind of undercuts that he even has a distaste for it, let alone that it really had *anything* to do with him quitting the reunion.

And that's okay, I'm not even saying everything Mike tells us about C50 is meant to be a justification for quitting the reunion. But it all seems to contribute towards a narrative of the things he didn't like about it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »

Digital plug-ins.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. So are there ever actual devices hooked on stage onto the microphones? I figure it's all done from the board, which is why some artists probably don't even know they're being autotuned.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »

I don't have any trouble with the idea that Melinda, perhaps at the behest of, say, Joe Thomas more than arriving at the idea herself, may have been fine if not supportive of autotune. The autotune thing seemed to reassert itself and rear its head in a more forceful fashion when Joe Thomas came on the scene. If she was pushing autotune, and I'm pretty 50/50 at best on Mike's credibility on stories, then that's lamentable and a legit gripe.

But Mike's later use of autotune kind of undercuts that he even has a distaste for it, let alone that it really had *anything* to do with him quitting the reunion.

And that's okay, I'm not even saying everything Mike tells us about C50 is meant to be a justification for quitting the reunion. But it all seems to contribute towards a narrative of the things he didn't like about it.

Well, the fact that Mike was apparently able to NOT use Autotune (either by switching a pedal off, or by telling a stage hand to get the mixing person to deactivate it) means that at least it was in his control to not use it, if he had such a problem with it allegedly being implemented by Melinda. I could totally understand him having a problem with it, if he were at all consistent about that topic  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:39:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »

Well, the fact that Mike was apparently able to NOT use Autotune (either by switching a pedal off, or by telling a stage hand to get the mixing person to deactivate it) means that at least it was in his control to not use it, if he had such a problem with it being implemented by Melinda. I could totally understand having a problem with it, if he were at all consistent about that topic  Roll Eyes

"Consistent" would be the key word.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:38:34 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »

I wonder if this is all news to Brian?

I know Brian's case is special but spouses and business don't mix well as a rule. (shelters under a rock! Grin)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2016, 02:56:06 PM »

I wonder if this is all news to Brian?

I know Brian's case is special but spouses and business don't mix well as a rule. (shelters under a rock! Grin)

No attacks here so no worries, PF - at least from me. - just an alternative observation.

I'm thinking that after Brian's experiences with mixed results at best with various pro's in his past, and with his own family,  He found that a person who has been smart and consistently has had his back for over 20 years might be the preference - Melinda.  Might that person make mistakes?  Certainly.  So do the so-called "pro's."
As far as wives being involved - I think it's pretty clear that both Mike and Brian have their wives on their management teams in some capacity from the previous posts in this thread.  As far as Al, well, I feel certain MaryAnne has her say as a big defender of her husband. 

It's hard to find people who love and genuinely support you in that business.  I'm not surprised by this at all.  Yes, it's had it's problems.  So has dealing with the supposed pro's and highly complex band/family interaction.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »

At the Hollywood Bowl reunion show in 2012, I remember how different Brian's voice sounded during Isn't It Time, it sounded prerecorded to me.  Maybe it was auto-tune.
leetwall97
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »

This kinda gives us some perspective on Melinda a bit. From now on, when I think of her saying "people look at me and don't realize what a tough women I am", I'll know she really means business.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »

At the Hollywood Bowl reunion show in 2012, I remember how different Brian's voice sounded during Isn't It Time, it sounded prerecorded to me.  Maybe it was auto-tune.

Someone will correct me but didn't Scott say somewhere that Brian double tracked the intro only to that song? I think it was in answer to a critic in the media saying the whole group was lip-syncing the tour.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »

This kinda gives us some perspective on Melinda a bit. From now on, when I think of her saying "people look at me and don't realize what a tough women I am", I'll know she really means business.

I have heard/read Brian, Bruce and Mike tossing the F bomb over the years and now Mrs W.

Not sure how I feel about it coming from Seniors. (OSD and Add Some being exceptions Wink )
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »

If I had not already made up my mind about not even looking at Mike's book, let alone buying it, I'd have made it up now. The guy still manages to surprise me, and not in a good way. I also wonder at most people's patience here. Mine is below zero, by now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:02:22 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »

Again, as is SO OFTEN the case, one person with a seriously flawed and ever-so obvious agenda participates in yet aother thread and upsets the discussion with dollops of on-line slight of hand...and in doing so slights most thinking participants with razzle-dazzle and enough bullshit to sink a great lakes freighter.  

Imagine what that will do to North America's largest source of fresh drinking water.  There's NO 'sand' involved whatsoever.

The book is the only source which matters or pertains to the discussion?  FDP...please purchase a kite and take it for a long series of flying lessons.  Spend an inordinate amount of time perfecting that craft instead.

The book is the only source worth considering?  The book became obsolete the moment it was signed off on and went to print.  The wheels of life kept turning and interviews happened subsequent to the completion of the novel.  It's the book which is as least as out of date as documented history...and your never ending attempts to sidetrack REAL.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:05:52 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »

Well said!

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »

Could you MC Mike's show? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »

This thread is like Katrina Pearson stopped in for a chat. I'm still not clear what was said, exactly, in the book about the his partner, my partner, your partner. In any case, I don't think it's a negative illustration of Melinda Ledbetter W. And if the Smiley Smile recounting of the sound check from that show is accurate, Mike Love's recounting is inaccurate.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:19:42 PM by Emily » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »

Again, as is SO OFTEN the case, one person with a seriously flawed and ever-so obvious agenda participates in yet aother thread and upsets the discussion with dollops of on-line slight of hand...and in doing so slights most thinking participants with razzle-dazzle and enough bullshit to sink a great lakes freighter.  

Imagine what that will do to North America's largest source of fresh drinking water.  There's NO 'sand' involved whatsoever.

The book is the only source which matters or pertains to the discussion?  FDP...please purchase a kite and take it for a long series of flying lessons.  Spend an inordinate amount of time perfecting that craft instead.

The book is the only source worth considering?  The book became obsolete the moment it was signed off on and went to print.  The wheels of life kept turning and interviews happened subsequent to the completion of the novel.  It's the book which is as least as out of date as documented history...and your never ending attempts to sidetrack REAL.

What is hilarious is that when I brought up the SIP (Kokomo?) airplane story Van Dyke Parks told a New York Times reporter suddenly Van's credibility seems to come into question because of a twitter post pertaining to baseball 14 years later. So when can we use multiple sources filledeplage? Oh, only when its convenient for the guy you ruthlessly defend whenever he does something controversial (seems to be a daily occurrence).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »

Mike Love's accounting is inaccurate.

Seems to be a trend amongst associates of Mike who talk sh*t about Melinda.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »

Its a love thang. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2016, 06:29:20 PM »

Mike Love's accounting is inaccurate.

Seems to be a trend amongst associates of Mike who talk sh*t about Melinda.

One less...I banned Chewbacca. Sorry it took so long, had to wait til I had a break

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »

"see ya" filleplage. Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx