gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:08:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike opens up about Melinda.  (Read 65830 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »

Exactly, Mike thinks he is the BBs and everybody else is his employee. Hence trying to tell BW what to play at the C50 show dustup.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »

CD - yes we are all flawed but I am not sure it is our place to point out someone else's flaws..

If you are against people pointing out other people's flaws, I would hope you would say that Mike himself should take that to heart when he regularly points out Brian's flaws with his weight, his voice, his use of Autotune.

Come on CD - the use of autotune - during those C50 CD's - give me a break.  The Youtubes were better.  I am not pointing out personal flaws but technical flaws with technology that was probably unnecessary.  It is the same way people gripe about SIP and the technology used for that.    

So you excuse the Autotune comment. I take it that there is not a single thing that Mike could publicly say about Brian or Melinda that you'd quantify as pointing out their flaws, right? Oh right, you don't like hypotheticals.  Nothing Mike ever says about even Melinda Wilson is remotely of the nature of pointing out what he perceives as her flaws. Ha. Ha. Ha. What about Al supposedly being rude to subordinates? Isn't that Mike pointing out Al's flaw?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:32:11 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »

The fans gave them the feedback about how their music was valued.

Exactly. Fan feedback. Thanks for pointing that out, FDP.

Brian at C50 got a ton of applause and adulation from fans, the kind of thing that Mike was used to getting at his own shows. I cannot imagine that went over well with Mike. He felt undervalued, his low self esteem instinct kicked in, and he blew up the reunion. Not *just* because of that, but I'm sure it didn't help things. A (flawed) human thing to have happen, yet very sad.
CD - you are calling someone a "flawed" human.  Last time I checked that would fall under being judgmental.  

And as to whether it is relevant to discuss the book -CBS  was interviewing Mike about the book.   It is the book that prompted the interview. He discussed a variety of items including Manson.  

Nobody said it isn't relevant to discuss the book in a thread about Mike's CBS interview about the book. The problem is that you're contending nobody should bring up the CBS interview itself.

As for calling someone flawed, stating that we're ALL flawed is not judgmental. It's a fact.
Yes, we are all flawed.  Do we need to get insulting?  

The CBS interview referred back to the early CBS Sunday morning tape.  The touring situation is a high-stakes/high-pressure.  And exhaustion, day-after-day.

People sometimes have "words" when they get stressed out.  And, I do think that (as someone said earlier) the person's report had the narrative in the wrong person.  It was not between Melinda and Mike - it was between Melinda and Jacqui.

And -I do not even see a "by line."  Who wrote it?

S/he may have looked at a copy of the book and "moved the players around." Or, mixed-up what happened.  There is more to learn from in that book about the Beach Boys, than spotlighting this event.    

But Mike is being directly quoted. Are you saying he's being misquoted?
CSM - the account of that is on page 401.  I don't know how much clearer I can be, that it is inconsistent with who-said-what-to-whom as compared to the book.

If you download the book you will be able to check what I wrote, as against what was written in that anonymous (no by-line) CBS article.
He is being quoted but that is not what is in the book.

Yes, which is why I'm asking if it is your contention that he is being misquoted in this interview.
CSM - I think I already responded. 

Is there a difference as between the "nameless" interview and the book? Yes, there is.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:41:30 AM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »

CD - yes we are all flawed but I am not sure it is our place to point out someone else's flaws..

If you are against people pointing out other people's flaws, I would hope you would say that Mike himself should take that to heart when he regularly points out Brian's flaws with his weight, his voice, his use of Autotune.

Come on CD - the use of autotune - during those C50 CD's - give me a break.  The Youtubes were better.  I am not pointing out personal flaws but technical flaws with technology that was probably unnecessary.  It is the same way people gripe about SIP and the technology used for that.    

So you excuse the Autotune comment. I take it that there is not a single thing that Mike could publicly say about Brian or Melinda that you'd quantify as pointing out their flaws, right? Oh right, you don't like hypotheticals.  Nothing Mike ever says about even Melinda Wilson is remotely of the nature of pointing out what he perceives as her flaws. Ha. Ha. Ha. What about Al supposedly being rude to subordinates? Isn't that Mike pointing out Al's flaw?

CD - let' not spin a yarn here. Get the book and see for yourself. 

You are making this personal, as to me. It is not personal.  I think this book has value, as I think Brian's book will have value to enlarge the history of The Beach Boys. Who else is left who can tell the story?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »

CSM - the account of that is on page 401.  I don't know how much clearer I can be, that it is inconsistent with who-said-what-to-whom as compared to the book.

Actually, this is completely unclear. I have no idea what you're talking about.

The only thing that is clear is that you're still ignoring what people are asking and ignoring the main crux (the CBS interview) of the thread. Still.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »

The fans gave them the feedback about how their music was valued.

Exactly. Fan feedback. Thanks for pointing that out, FDP.

Brian at C50 got a ton of applause and adulation from fans, the kind of thing that Mike was used to getting at his own shows. I cannot imagine that went over well with Mike. He felt undervalued, his low self esteem instinct kicked in, and he blew up the reunion. Not *just* because of that, but I'm sure it didn't help things. A (flawed) human thing to have happen, yet very sad.
CD - you are calling someone a "flawed" human.  Last time I checked that would fall under being judgmental.  

And as to whether it is relevant to discuss the book -CBS  was interviewing Mike about the book.   It is the book that prompted the interview. He discussed a variety of items including Manson.  

Nobody said it isn't relevant to discuss the book in a thread about Mike's CBS interview about the book. The problem is that you're contending nobody should bring up the CBS interview itself.

As for calling someone flawed, stating that we're ALL flawed is not judgmental. It's a fact.
Yes, we are all flawed.  Do we need to get insulting?  

The CBS interview referred back to the early CBS Sunday morning tape.  The touring situation is a high-stakes/high-pressure.  And exhaustion, day-after-day.

People sometimes have "words" when they get stressed out.  And, I do think that (as someone said earlier) the person's report had the narrative in the wrong person.  It was not between Melinda and Mike - it was between Melinda and Jacqui.

And -I do not even see a "by line."  Who wrote it?

S/he may have looked at a copy of the book and "moved the players around." Or, mixed-up what happened.  There is more to learn from in that book about the Beach Boys, than spotlighting this event.    

But Mike is being directly quoted. Are you saying he's being misquoted?
CSM - the account of that is on page 401.  I don't know how much clearer I can be, that it is inconsistent with who-said-what-to-whom as compared to the book.

If you download the book you will be able to check what I wrote, as against what was written in that anonymous (no by-line) CBS article.
He is being quoted but that is not what is in the book.

Yes, which is why I'm asking if it is your contention that he is being misquoted in this interview.

OK, but the book is not being quoted. So I'm quite confused as to your point here. Can you elaborate further?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »

You are making this personal, as to me. It is not personal.  I think this book has value, as I think Brian's book will have value to enlarge the history of The Beach Boys. Who else is left who can tell the story?

FDP, I am curious to read the book, and I may well get my hands on a copy. Yes, Mike surely has some unique perspective.

But that's irrelevant to what I'm talking about here. You said you're against people saying judgmental things about others, yet you don't seem to think that applies to Mike.

THAT and THAT ALONE is the only thing I'm concerned with discussing here in this thread at this moment, and you don't want to address that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:43:22 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »

The only thing that is clear is that you're still ignoring what people are asking and ignoring the main crux (the CBS interview) of the thread. Still.

Hey Jude -  Get the book. Go to p. 401.  Then compare it to the article.  See for your self.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

Is there a difference as between the "nameless" interview and the book? Yes, there is.

Are you suggesting CBS fabricated the interview? What are you trying to say?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2016, 11:45:20 AM »

You are making this personal, as to me. It is not personal.  I think this book has value, as I think Brian's book will have value to enlarge the history of The Beach Boys. Who else is left who can tell the story?

FDP, I am curious to read the book, and I may well get my hands on a copy. Yes, Mike surely has some unique perspective.

But that's irrelevant to what I'm talking about here. You said you're against people saying judgmental things about others, yet you don't seem to think that applies to Mike.

THAT and THAT ALONE is the only thing I'm concerned with discussing here in this thread at this moment, and you don't want to address that.
CD - get the book and compare the article to it.  P. 401.  They are words to compare.  Download it.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »

Are you?  Just get the book.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:46:42 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »

Gotta earn those M&B comps... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »

Are you?

Shocked
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »

Gotta earn those M&B comps... Roll Eyes

No - dear, the checks.  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2016, 11:47:53 AM »

CSM - the account of that is on page 401.  I don't know how much clearer I can be, that it is inconsistent with who-said-what-to-whom as compared to the book.

Hey Jude -  Get the book. Go to p. 401.  Then compare it to the article.  See for your self.

Why are you refusing to answer this simple question? I already stated *numerous times* that I simply don't have the book in front of me and won't be able to for many many hours to come. It doesn't mean I don't already have the book. It just means I don't have it in front of me. I wouldn't doubt that you plan to carry your copy around everywhere you go, but I don't and can't.

I'm going to assume you don't have the book and/or haven't read it or haven't read it thoroughly until you can produce the quote in question.

I will further suggest that continuing to assert your point without citing or even paraphrasing the quote in question, and referring people to "buy the book" is both a weird, I guess, way to try to goose sales for the book, and effectively trolling at this stage.

If you refuse to address what anyone else is saying in this thread, and can't offer anything else than "go read the book", then please stop posting in this thread. You're not adding anything to the conversation at this stage.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:52:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2016, 11:48:09 AM »

Are you?

Shocked

Compare the two, it ain't rocket science.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »

I'm going to come right out and say you're just trolling the board at this stage by asking "Are you?"
I believe you're dragging this board and this discussion down. Again.

Once again, the modus operandi appears to be to create acrimony and chaos in any thread related to Mike or his book in order to deflect legitimate discussion and criticism of Mike and his book.

I'm clearly indicating that it's highly unlikely CBS fabricated a Mike Love quote. So I guess you're suggesting CBS fabricated Mike's quote.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:43 AM »

Why are you refusing to answer this simple question? I already stated *numerous times* that I simply don't have the book in front of me and won't be able to for many many hours to come.

I'm going to assume you don't have the book and/or haven't read it or haven't read it thoroughly until you can produce the quote in question.

I will further suggest that continuing to assert your point without citing or even paraphrasing the quote in question, and referring people to "buy the book" is both a weird, I guess, way to try to goose sales for the book, and effectively trolling at this stage.

If you refuse to address what anyone else is saying in this thread, and can't offer anything else than "go read the book", then please stop posting in this thread. You're not adding anything to the conversation at this stage.
Hey Jude - you are a BB website operator.  The book is part of their history.  You are at a disadvantage to engage in the discussion about this book or articles that have resulted as part of releasing this book.  

And I would strongly suggest that you refrain from posting about this book until such time as you have read it.  Because you are not informed as to it's contents.  

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »

It's a FDP thang... Roll Eyes

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »

CD - get the book and compare the article to it.  P. 401.  They are words to compare.  Download it.

What you are doing is THE worst fangirl viral marketing campaign in the history of the internet.

Capped off by Mike's own use of a negative review, and proudly using the "gossip" term (used as an insult in the review, but spun as a positive by Mike) on his own page. I guess that's ok in your eyes too, right? Using a negative review, but taking one sentence out of context to try and sell the book, trying to hoodwink people into thinking the New York Times liked the book?

The very thing that pisses me off the most and makes me NOT want to read Mike's book, and not engage in conversation with you either, is the outright refusal of addressing why it's ok for Mike to say judgmental things about others, but not ok for others to say judgmental things about Mike. And guess what? I don't need the book to know Mike's said PLENTY of judgmental things about MANY other people. That is common knowledge, and if you need a list of quotes, I'm sure there are hundreds that can be found on this site, without the need for the book to prove my point.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:55:23 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »

I'm going to come right out and say you're just trolling the board at this stage by asking "Are you?"
I believe you're dragging this board and this discussion down. Again.

Once again, the modus operandi appears to be to create acrimony and chaos in any thread related to Mike or his book in order to deflect legitimate discussion and criticism of Mike and his book.

I'm clearly indicating that it's highly unlikely CBS fabricated a Mike Love quote. So I guess you're suggesting CBS fabricated Mike's quote.

Is there no room to entertain the possibility of journalist sloppiness with an unsigned article?  Or, just speculation?  
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »

Are you?

Shocked

This is extraordinarily rude. And a disjunction between two sources does not automatically follow that one of the sources is fabricated. That's just speculative reasoning.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »

CD - get the book and compare the article to it.  P. 401.  They are words to compare.  Download it.

What you are doing is THE worst fangirl viral marketing campaign in the history of the internet.

Capped off by Mike's own use of a negative review, and proudly using the "gossip" term (used as an insult in the review, but spun as a positive) on his own page.

The very thing that pisses me off the most and makes me NOT want to read Mike's book, and not engage in conversation with you either, is the outright refusal of addressing why it's ok for Mike to say judgmental things about others, but not ok for others to say judgmental things about Mike. And guess what? I don't need the book to know Mike's said PLENTY of judgmental things about MANY other people. That is common knowledge, and if you need a list of quotes, I'm sure there are hundreds that can be found on this site, without the need for the book to prove my point.

This is not about me.  The topic is an unsigned article connected to the book.  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2016, 11:56:13 AM »

Are you?

Shocked

This is extraordinarily rude. And a disjunction between two sources does not automatically follow that one of the sources is fabricated. That's just speculative reasoning.
What I think is rude is the continuing harangue about a book that you have not read and compared to an unsigned article.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »

Hey Jude - you are a BB website operator.  The book is part of their history.  You are at a disadvantage to engage in the discussion about this book or articles that have resulted as part of releasing this book.  

And I would strongly suggest that you refrain from posting about this book until such time as you have read it.  Because you are not informed as to it's contents.  

How do you know I haven't read the book?

And now you're engaging in personal attacks to go along with your trolling. Can we just put a stop to this now?

Not that it matters, but I'm not a "website operator." I have a rarely-used Blogger page, and a relatively infrequently updated Facebook page to accompany that Blogger page. No actual website. Wouldn't know the first thing about operating a website.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx