gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:21:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike opens up about Melinda.  (Read 65814 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »

The C50 tour was miracle and triumph of the music for how long it went on with such infighting.  
That's because - they are ALL professionals and did not want to let the fans down.   Wink

Disagree. The industry was unfortunately laughing at these guys (or rolling their eyes) at the end of the tour because they all came across as total amateurs business-wise and PR-wise, and the fact that their tour signified half a century in the business only highlighted the irony of still not having their s**t together.

The more info comes out about C50, the more it seems like it was a lucky accident the thing held together. I think Joe Thomas ponying up a big fat check at the outset is probably the main thing that held it together.

Does anybody really think Mike would have quit the tour? If he had, he would likely have been sued like nobody in the band has ever been sued before.
Hey Jude - Industry?  The same industry that threw them to the wolves and under the bus?  The industry that stole their catalog?  I saw 7 of those C50 shows, each one better than the one before.  If I had to guess there were a lot of industry people who made a ton of dough off that tour and are pissed that the spigot was shut off.  The fans gave them the feedback about how their music was valued.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »

In the concert review section of this message board, we can find reports of all of the Beach Boys shows from 2012. I guess this is the one, that was referenced to in the interview:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13127.0.html

Our user "Cool Water" wrote about the soundcheck and Mike asking Brian if Ambha could sing SOS:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13127.msg280436.html#msg280436

Ah, thanks.  So the Melinda/Jackie thing happened exactly one week (three shows during that week) before the "no more shows for Wilson" e-mail.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »

The C50 tour was miracle and triumph of the music for how long it went on with such infighting.  
That's because - they are ALL professionals and did not want to let the fans down.   Wink

Disagree. The industry was unfortunately laughing at these guys (or rolling their eyes) at the end of the tour because they all came across as total amateurs business-wise and PR-wise, and the fact that their tour signified half a century in the business only highlighted the irony of still not having their s**t together.

The more info comes out about C50, the more it seems like it was a lucky accident the thing held together. I think Joe Thomas ponying up a big fat check at the outset is probably the main thing that held it together.

Does anybody really think Mike would have quit the tour? If he had, he would likely have been sued like nobody in the band has ever been sued before.
Hey Jude - Industry?  The same industry that threw them to the wolves and under the bus?  The industry that stole their catalog?  I saw 7 of those C50 shows, each one better than the one before.  If I had to guess there were a lot of industry people who made a ton of dough off that tour and are pissed that the spigot was shut off.  The fans gave them the feedback about how their music was valued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2016, 10:18:40 AM »

heavens, the "story" is the one in the book; likely the version cobbled together in the interview news item (unless there is video) ran into pronoun trouble.
not pronoun trouble, Mike tells a different story in the interview. here is the quote:

But the tour later unraveled, in part because Love resented interference from Melinda Wilson, Brian’s wife.

“Yeah. She once told me that ‘Brian’s not your partner. I’m your f****ng partner.’ That’s what she said,” Love said.

she actually never said that if we are to believe the passage in the book, which states:

a) Melinda was speaking to Jackie, not to Mike
b) Melinda said that SHE was Brian's partner, not Mike
c) Melinda said that she was BRIAN'S partner, not Mike's partner

in the interview, Mike accuses Melinda of something that apparently never happened if he is referencing his book.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:19:39 AM by bossaroo » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »

In the concert review section of this message board, we can find reports of all of the Beach Boys shows from 2012. I guess this is the one, that was referenced to in the interview:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13127.0.html

Our user "Cool Water" wrote about the soundcheck and Mike asking Brian if Ambha could sing SOS:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13127.msg280436.html#msg280436

Thanks for doing the leg work to look that up. Very interesting. So, based on that account, Mike did what I was thinking he might have done, which was to basically go half-way between asking and telling/announcing that she would be singing the song.

It’s also interesting if Mike did spring it on the band during soundcheck (in front of fans to boot); it certainly would put them all in an awkward position if they felt maybe they shouldn’t have her sing the song.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:42:42 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »

The fans gave them the feedback about how their music was valued.

Exactly. Fan feedback. Thanks for pointing that out, FDP.

Brian at C50 got a ton of applause and adulation from fans, the kind of thing that Mike was used to getting at his own shows. I cannot imagine that went over well with Mike. He felt undervalued, his low self esteem instinct kicked in, and he blew up the reunion. Not *just* because of that, but I'm sure it didn't help things. A (flawed) human thing to have happen, yet very sad.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:26:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »

In other words Mike is the same jealous teenager of 1961 in 2016. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

First off, I don't know why people get upset that Melinda gets involved in the business end of things. I think it's pretty clear that she is a member of Brian's management team. She clearly had a say in approval for Love and Mercy, for instance. She has been referred to as having been "in meetings" at various times. (When Darian talked about Brian's episode when he was alone with him and Melinda couldn't be reached because she was "in a meeting.") And I think it's perfectly appropriate for her to be a manager. It's no less appropriate than any other entertainment manager, really. And she's been with Brian for more than 20 years, so she's more than experienced at this point.

In fact, it's more very appropriate for Brian, who really hates the confrontation that I'm sure is sometimes involved in handling the business of the Beach Boys, as well as other logistical things, and who probably trusts Melinda more than anyone. I think Melinda has shown she's intelligent and more than capable of handling herself in a professional situation-- not that she has anything to prove to anyone. So to object to her involvement in Beach Boys business is a little weird. It's quite possible that she is his wife AND a manager.

Also, I could imagine that Brian asks Melinda to be "the heavy" in some situations...to express disagreement or dislike for something on Brian's behalf...and she agrees in order to protect him. If so, she would get a lot of the blame. I certainly think she's always acting in his best interests.

As for Mike's conflicting stories, could it also be possible that he misspoke? He's 75 years old. Could he have mixed up what she said? My 80-year-old father will sometimes do that and then only realize what he said when he's corrected. He's perfectly healthy, but you do get moments of confusion when you get older.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »

First off, I don't know why people get upset that Melinda gets involved in the business end of things. I think it's pretty clear that she is a member of Brian's management team. She clearly had a say in approval for Love and Mercy, for instance. She has been referred to as having been "in meetings" at various times. (When Darian talked about Brian's episode when he was alone with him and Melinda couldn't be reached because she was "in a meeting.") And I think it's perfectly appropriate for her to be a manager. It's no less appropriate than any other entertainment manager, really. And she's been with Brian for more than 20 years, so she's more than experienced at this point.

In fact, it's more very appropriate for Brian, who really hates the confrontation that I'm sure is sometimes involved in handling the business of the Beach Boys, as well as other logistical things, and who probably trusts Melinda more than anyone. I think Melinda has shown she's intelligent and more than capable of handling herself in a professional situation-- not that she has anything to prove to anyone. So to object to her involvement in Beach Boys business is a little weird. It's quite possible that she is his wife AND a manager.

Also, I could imagine that Brian asks Melinda to be "the heavy" in some situations...to express disagreement or dislike for something on Brian's behalf...and she agrees in order to protect him. If so, she would get a lot of the blame. I certainly think she's always acting in his best interests.

As for Mike's conflicting stories, could it also be possible that he misspoke? He's 75 years old. Could he have mixed up what she said? My 80-year-old father will sometimes do that and then only realize what he said when he's corrected. He's perfectly healthy, but you do get moments of confusion when you get older.

Agree with all your points. Regarding Mike simply misspeaking because he is getting older, it's very possible. And it makes me very, very sad that these guys are getting older and older, and that Mike wants to spend his later years, while he is still of sound health and mind, stirring up all sorts of BS instead of owning up to his own actions - or instead of just not making a big fuss about stuff and keeping his mouth shut. It's like, is this really what he wants to be doing in your later years?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:37:34 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »

Brian at C50 got a ton of applause and adulation from fans, the kind of thing that Mike was used to getting at his own shows. I cannot imagine that went over well with Mike. He felt undervalued, his low self esteem instinct kicked in, and he blew up the reunion. Not *just* because of that, but I'm sure it didn't help things. A (flawed) human thing to have happen, yet very sad.
CD - you are calling someone a "flawed" human.  Last time I checked that would fall under being judgmental.  

And as to whether it is relevant to discuss the book -CBS  was interviewing Mike about the book.   It is the book that prompted the interview. He discussed a variety of items including Manson.  
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »

this is more than just mixing up his words.
the account Mike gives in the interview paints a completely different picture of what actually occurred (according to his book) and he specifically states that she told HIM she was MIKE'S partner... rather than telling Jackie that she was Brian's partner.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »

CD - you are calling someone a "flawed" human.  Last time I checked that would fall under being judgmental.  

And as to whether it is relevant to discuss the book -CBS  was interviewing Mike about the book.   It is the book that prompted the interview. He discussed a variety of items including Manson.  

Nobody said it isn't relevant to discuss the book in a thread about Mike's CBS interview about the book. The problem is that you're contending nobody should bring up the CBS interview itself.

As for calling someone flawed, stating that we're ALL flawed is not judgmental. It's a fact.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:36 AM »

FDP - For crying out loud... I, MYSELF am a flawed human too! Am I being judgmental against myself? Let's just be real here. We all have flaws, including Mike. Difference is, I'll cop to mine, Brian cops to his, but Mike LARGELY doesn't cop to his, and blames everyone else.

Have you ever, in your personal life, known someone who regularly doesn't own up to crappy things they do? Like all the friggin' time? Blame-shift-o-rama?  It's A THING. It happens. And it's not pretty, as in this case.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:50:13 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »

If we are parsing sentences, I'll point out that Century did not just write "a (flawed) human" but "a (flawed) human thing to have happen". So flawed is not an adjective for human, but flawed and human are adjectives for thing.
In other words, Century was being judgemental to a thing. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:56:35 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »

Nobody said it isn't relevant to discuss the book in a thread about Mike's CBS interview about the book. The problem is that you're contending nobody should bring up the CBS interview itself.

As for calling someone flawed, stating that we're ALL flawed is not judgmental. It's a fact.
Yes, we are all flawed.  Do we need to get insulting?  

The CBS interview referred back to the early CBS Sunday morning tape.  The touring situation is a high-stakes/high-pressure.  And exhaustion, day-after-day.

People sometimes have "words" when they get stressed out.  And, I do think that (as someone said earlier) the person's report had the narrative in the wrong person.  It was not between Melinda and Mike - it was between Melinda and Jacqui.

And -I do not even see a "by line."  Who wrote it?

S/he may have looked at a copy of the book and "moved the players around." Or, mixed-up what happened.  There is more to learn from in that book about the Beach Boys, than spotlighting this event.    

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »

The CBS interview referred back to the early CBS Sunday morning tape.  The touring situation is a high-stakes/high-pressure.  And exhaustion, day-after-day.

People sometimes have "words" when they get stressed out.  And, I do think that (as someone said earlier) the person's report had the narrative in the wrong person.  It was not between Melinda and Mike - it was between Melinda and Jacqui.

S/he may have looked at a copy of the book and "moved the players around." Or, mixed-up what happened.  There is more to learn from in that book about the Beach Boys, than spotlighting this event.    

But Mike is being directly quoted. Are you saying he's being misquoted?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

FDP - For crying out loud... I, MYSELF am a flawed human too! Am I being judgmental against myself? Let's just be real here. We all have flaws, including Mike. Difference is, I'll cop to mine, Brian cops to his, but Mike LARGELY doesn't cop to his, and blames everyone else.

Have you ever, in your personal life, known someone who regularly doesn't own up to crappy things they do? Like all the friggin' time? Blame-shift-o-rama?  It's A THING. It happens. And it's not pretty, as in this case.
CD - yes we are all flawed but I am not sure it is our place to point out someone else's flaws...Something like, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."  It is not up to us to tell anyone else to beg for forgiveness.  What is up with that kind of thinking?  I don't care if you hate Mike.  That is your prerogative.  

There is a lot of really great BB stuff in that book. And excuse me for insulting you in the hypothetical, I think that you are a damn fool if you don't read it if you are a lifer fan.  (only kidding with the insult)  group hug
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »

CD - yes we are all flawed but I am not sure it is our place to point out someone else's flaws..

If you are against people pointing out other people's flaws, I would hope you would say that Mike himself should take that to heart when he regularly points out Brian's flaws with his weight, his voice, his use of Autotune.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:06:05 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2016, 11:06:32 AM »

He is being quoted but that is not what is in the book. The scenario is not what was in the book account.  Those words were reportedly spoken "about" Mike not "to" Mike.  The book account was mis-reported as far as who said what, and to whom it was said.    

And we don't even know who wrote it. Can you find a by-line? I cannot.  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »

CD - yes we are all flawed but I am not sure it is our place to point out someone else's flaws..

If you are against people pointing out other people's flaws, I would hope you would say that Mike himself should take that to heart when he regularly points out Brian's flaws with his weight, his voice, his use of Autotune.

Come on CD - the use of autotune - during those C50 CD's - give me a break.  The Youtubes were better.  I am not pointing out personal flaws but technical flaws with technology that was probably unnecessary.  It is the same way people gripe about SIP and the technology used for that.   
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »

About that CBS interview Chewie?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2016, 11:17:48 AM »

Mike is the one misquoting his own book and flat-out stating that Melinda called herself his f*cking partner, which according to his book never f*cking happened.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »

He is being quoted but that is not what is in the book.

Yes, which is why I'm asking if it is your contention that he is being misquoted in this interview.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »

The problem is not Mike forgetting details about an episode. As Amy said, that's more than understandable at 75, and maybe at any age. The problem is that he never forgets putting the blame of everything on others (usually a Wilson, with appearances by Al Jardine).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:23:56 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »

As far as healthy memory troubles go though is it healthy when you claim to remember something having happened to you four years ago that never actually happened to you at all?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx