gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:28:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike opens up about Melinda.  (Read 65804 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »

I think Mike Love had every reason to be annoyed, put off, etc. by Melinda injecting herself into the day to workings of the band.  It was not her place to do it.  And yes, that statement, that she's Mike's partner, whether she said it to him or Mike's wife, indicates that Brian is controlled.

If Mike really felt that non-band members including wives shouldn't be there weighing in, then why was Jackie Love even there to interject anything into the conversation? Was she not butting in as well?

Further, there still seems to be some disagreement about whether Melinda is alleged to have said that she was Mike's partner rather than Brian, or that she is alleged to have said that she is Brian's partner, not Mike. Two very different things.

And aren't both wives intertwined with the business side of things? Isn't Mike's wife part of some of Mike's business ventures?

According to this, both Mike and Jackie Love are both part of "Meleco": https://bizstanding.com/directory/NV/ME/256/

But again, I'm thinking it's far more likely Melinda meant that she was Brian's partner, not Mike. As in, Brian's wife is his partner, not his long-estranged former cowriter and bandmate.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »

I don't remember the specifics but I'm sure someone here does, but wasn't the reunion tour and album a separate deal (not BRI) in that C50 was a production company (or some other term) and that Brian and Mike were indeed partners in this, and maybe even Joe Thomas?  And the other three BB's were salaried?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »

In either version, Melinda is placing herself as one of the principals running the band.  When spouses get involved in a husband's business, it's often bad news, and the other business partners deeply resent it.

Jackie Love is apparently intertwined into the band's business to some arguable degree if she's a co-owner (or co-director, or whatever you want to call it) of the corporation (Meleco) that licenses the BB name from BRI:

https://bizstanding.com/directory/NV/ME/256/

If she is part of the corporation in a licensing agreement with BRI, then that means people at BRI including the shareholders presumably have to interact with or deal with her on some level at some point.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:09:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »

I don't remember the specifics but I'm sure someone here does, but wasn't the reunion tour and album a separate deal (not BRI) in that C50 was a production company (or some other term) and that Brian and Mike were indeed partners in this, and maybe even Joe Thomas?  And the other three BB's were salaried?

Yes, 50 Big Ones was apparently Joe Thomas, Brian, and Mike. But let's be realistic, the actual BBs have agents and lawyers actually handling the mechanics of all of this. And *all* of the wives get involved to varying degrees.

I'd still like to see someone speak to Ray Lawlor's point that Melinda was *absent* for most of the C50 tour. It's not like she was hovering over the whole thing. I'm sure Brian gets advice from his wife just as Mike does from his, and Al does from his, and so on.

Keep in mind as well that they went into C50 with Mike having already implied some not-too-kind things about Melinda (having already been doing the "people around Brian" thing for many years), whereas I don't think I've *ever* heard Brian say a bad word about Jackie Love. You can scrimp around and find a few riled-up Brian interviews where he talks s**t on the other Beach Boys. They're few and far between but they exist. But I don't recall seeing a single comment from Brian or Al talking about Jackie Love and her role in Mike's business affairs, or otherwise saying *anything* negative about her at all.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »

To be fair, I would like to read Melinda Wilson's version of what occurred.  Why did she send the fax or e-mail that said no more tour dates, if she was the one that sent it?

Why did Howie Edelson write that when Jeff Foskett left Brian Wilson to go work for Mike Love that was a big FU to Melinda Wilson?  She is obviously an issue for some people.  
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks it's a really big issue that Mike is telling a very different story about an event that is in the book that has just been published and that he's currently promoting?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »

Some people don't like Melinda, and I doubt that every single possible, conceivable reason to not like something about her is invalid. Like anyone, I'm sure she has flaws.

As I've often said, I wouldn't do business with ANY of these people.

But it seems like Melinda is a convenient reason and scapegoat people use when Brian doesn't want to work with them anymore. It always turns into implying that it's not Brian, but Melinda that causes the problems. Well no, maybe Brian doesn't want to work with Mike but doesn't have the personality type to say "F**k off, Mike, I don't want to write songs with you. Let's just do a tour and record some other songs." Yes, it's true that not being able to speak directly to each other instead of using surrogates is not the most functional way to do things. But all of these guys have wives, agents, lawyers, and managers throwing their two cents in and working as intermediaries.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »

When Mike went on CBS and made the comments directed at Melinda, it went out to however many million viewers were watching, listening, or reading that linked transcript from the CBS program. He cannot assume everyone watching had his book in hand, or even knew he had a book on the market until that segment was aired. Therefore, that's the context - what he said on CBS.

And I'll say again, if Mike is going after Brian's wife on a television appearance adding to all of the comments since 2012 placed in his various interviews promoting his concerts within dozens of newspapers and various outlets, not to mention whatever went on via legal actions, is it surprising that Mike isn't getting invitations from Brian to write songs? If Mike goes after Brian's wife, family, etc in public, and it's been ongoing for years, why or how would Mike be disappointed if they don't have a personal relationship? We're still talking about real people with real emotions and feelings.
GF - there is so much in that book, I found to be very informative.  Maybe a thread should be set up to address that.  And keep comments confined to "If you read this..." please comment.  

It is intense to read, I found, after going throat 400+ pages.  The interviews are beyond the book.  Those relationships are like them walking off-stage after a show.  They go back to their own lives.  That is for the parties to figure out.  It can't be "vicariously" worked out on a message board. I think it is inappropriate. That is my opinion.  Blood is still thicker than water.  

If you read the book, I think your heart will be touched as Carl explains to Brian how they were kept away from him and were not rejecting him. I think you will gain another insight into the history of the band.    

I started a thread on the book, and made specific and sometimes extensive comments based on the actual pages of the book, giving my opinions and impressions of those specific sections in the book, with more to follow. As a result, I've apparently been publicly accused of charging the author with plagiarism, which I never did, and in other cases been accused by you personally among others of claiming posters here like you and Cam had a hand in writing it - a charge which is as laughable as it is false since everything I wrote is still on this board...and available to review in the thread about the book.

My most recent comments on the book are specific to what Mike said to CBS, and the notion of why Brian would be expected to invite Mike to write songs or do much of anything else after seeing his wife be the subject of Mike's comments, on top of Mike saying he was being "controlled" and drugged as recent as the past month in a public interview, and a laundry list of comments made toward his family and assorted issues peppered throughout interviews supposed to be promoting Mike's concerts.

My comments on the book have also been along the lines of what I wish Mike had included in the book, among them the lightning-rod issues like Mike giving seed money to fund the PMRC in the 80's, the 2005 lawsuit which Mike lost and lost big, and the lack of more inter-personal inner workings that were at play within the band during the Smile era.

I've also commented on the lack of context given that June 2012 email that we're told scuppered the extension and further booking of C50 shows, specifically what other emails if any correspondence came prior to the oft-cited email quoted in the book, and what was the context in which that email appeared. My comments on that are based on wondering how a lone email within what was a multi-million dollar corporate structure running C50 and affecting dozens of participants on the tour could be cited as if it came out of the blue with no precedent. I'm one who is curious to learn more about what led to it, and what else may have come prior to it within the chain of operations on that tour as of June 2012.

That's context.

GF - The book is over 400 pages.  It is Mike's account and not a reflection of what others think should be in the book.  The section on the lawsuit which was initiated by Landy with his devious plot to have Brian's kids disinherited, was originated by Landy.  

There are two email exchanges and one is from early June and one from late June.  I thought there was only one.  

IIRC  - three and a half weeks seemed too long to "call back" the first email of "no more shows for us" - which looked pretty final to me.  So, what I learned in the  book, is that there were TWO emails.  

On June 1st (it related to shows in Israel) which was turned down (the "no more shows for Wilson") and a June 25th email to "disregard the previous message." That is found on pp. 401-402.  

The info I am relying on is what is in front of me and not legal advice or counsel.***

The 2005 lawsuit had nothing to do with Landy. Why did you just dodge that entirely and bring Landy into it?

What if anything came before the email you reference from the book?

As a reader of the book...can I not say "I wish he had talked about that?" as a reaction? Or do we just take everything at face value?

Someone asked you a direct question about something that *is* in the book, and you dodged their question, and further gave the answer "buy the book". How about answering their question, since you said you wanted to discuss what was in the book, and someone asked a specific question about what was actually in the book?

Did Mike on CBS contradict what is in the book about this 'partner' confrontation at C50? Simple question...why duck it?

GF - The overall dispute was over C50 - if someone writes an email that says on June 1st they are done, and the other party "relies on it" - and 25 days elapse, that puts the whole situation in a very different light.  I think the retraction was too late. (not legal advice)***

The suit in 2005 did not prevail. It is not in the book.  The book is enough to deal with.  I am not dodging anything,  I am not interested in discussing it or going on some other tangent.  I'd  like to hear what people think about things such as Carl's last days on the concert tour, it's impact on the band, how they carried on post.  Most do not want to discuss that but get into the soap opera/drama mode over "hot words" that got resolved.  It turned out just fine - but that is not drama.

My head is still exploding over how premeditated Landy was.  More than I ever imagined.  

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:17:23 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks it's a really big issue that Mike is telling a very different story about an event that is in the book that has just been published and that he's currently promoting?

In some cases, altering a story a little bit for effect or simply because he's conflated events in his mind wouldn't be a big deal. But yes, when it comes to a pretty strong and inflammatory allegation regarding something Melinda said, the possibility of two different stories being told *is* a big deal.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »

I am not dodging anything,  I am not interested in discussing it or going on some other tangent.  I'd  like to hear what people think about things such as Carl's last days on the concert tour, it's impact on the band, how they carried on post.  

Then please start a new thread or go to the main book thread. This thread speaks specifically to Mike's recent INTERVIEW on CBS.

I think you're 100% dodging and Chewbacca-ing, but even if you're not, then the thread about Mike's CBS interview is *not* the place to suggest we shouldn't talk about the CBS interview!  LOL

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »

In some cases, altering a story a little bit for effect or simply because he's conflated events in his mind wouldn't be a big deal. But yes, when it comes to a pretty strong and inflammatory allegation regarding something Melinda said, the possibility of two different stories being told *is* a big deal.

It's just funny because Mike, like many celebrities, is of the school of telling the same story in much the same way in many interviews. It is something that we comment on here a lot. Whether we like it or not, it's kind of an art. McCartney, for example, has perfected it. For those of us who have heard several interviews, we could probably say, beat by beat, the "Yesterday" story. Or we can say, beat by beat, the "Hey Jude" story right down to "movement you need is on your shoulder" sounding like a parrot, etc. Mike does this too. But quite interestingly he does not do that here - and, in many ways, these interviews allow him the chance to really do it. After all, the book has just come out, and Mike should be very familiar with the material. Certainly you would imagine that his publishers would want him to be. Why not take out a few new tidbits in the book and re-tell them like a kind of trailer? It just seems very odd that he should tell such strangely different accounts - it's not in character, it's not as if this is a story from a long time ago or that he told a long time ago, and it does not seem like the right decision if your goal is to sell the material that's in this book.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:22:09 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »

it's a huge difference... if she A) told Jackie, "I'm his (Brian's) f*cking partner" or if she B) told Mike, "I'm your (Mike's) f*cking partner."

we still don't know which, even though certain forum members (one in particular) had the opportunity to set the discussion straight but chose to derail the thread instead while accusing OTHERS of going off on a tangent. and which is one of several reasons I stopped engaging with certain forum members (one in particular) some time ago.

it certainly seems like Mike tells story A in his book, but tells story B in the CBS interview. if that is the case, Mike is not only misquoting his own book but also misrepresenting what actually happened and slandering Melinda in the process. and if THAT is the case, then perhaps we've not heard the last of this and hopefully Melinda will offer her version of events. maybe she can even sue Mike for good measure  Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:31:20 AM by bossaroo » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »

Just curious...does anyone know the date of this Melinda/Jackie incident.  FdP suggests that Mike was ready to quit the tour over it.  Could it also have been the catalyst for the "no more shows for Wilson" e-mail?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »

The C50 tour was miracle and triumph of the music for how long it went on with such infighting.  

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »

just to be clear to certain forum members (ahem): THIS thread is about ONE SPECIFIC STATEMENT that Mike just made during a CBS interview which seems to conflict with what he wrote in his book and with what may have actually occurred.

THIS thread is not about Mike's book specifically, or Carl's last days on the tour, or Landy's actions, or even the length of Mike's turds Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:28:10 AM by bossaroo » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »

Just curious...does anyone know the date of this Melinda/Jackie incident.  FdP suggests that Mike was ready to quit the tour over it.  Could it also have been the catalyst for the "no more shows for Wilson" e-mail?

Nothing and I mean nothing would be more tantalizing to see than Melinda hauling myKe luHv's ass into court and winning big. What goes around comes around.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:47:26 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »

The C50 tour was miracle and triumph of the music for how long it went on with such infighting.  
That's because - they are ALL professionals and did not want to let the fans down.   Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »

That's because - they are ALL professionals and did not want to let the fans down.   Wink

Disagree. The industry was unfortunately laughing at these guys (or rolling their eyes) at the end of the tour because they all came across as total amateurs business-wise and PR-wise, and the fact that their tour signified half a century in the business only highlighted the irony of still not having their s**t together.

The more info comes out about C50, the more it seems like it was a lucky accident the thing held together. I think Joe Thomas ponying up a big fat check at the outset is probably the main thing that held it together.

Does anybody really think Mike would have quit the tour? If he had, he would likely have been sued like nobody in the band has ever been sued before.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:37:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2016, 09:35:28 AM »

In addition, what was the date that the Touring Corporation (whatever it was called) signed the agreement to add 25 or so more shows to the tour?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »

But to build on CSM's point, sounds like Mike either changed his story on the dustup with melinda or didn't read his own book.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »

Also again, why was *none* of this (either the "emails" or Melinda's actions/comments) alluded to *at all* in Mike's letter to the LA Times in 2012? These things were not even *hinted* at in his letter.

Further, even after citing the "email", Mike continued to assert in interviews that he had planned all along to go back to his own thing. Nobody, either Mike or anyone else, has proffered anything that indicates Mike quitting the reunion was about anything other than his own preference and decision, and one that by his own admission was the "plan" all along.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »

Isn't there something that interrogators say about how true stories tend to be told one way but made up stories tend to have a variety of different versions? I'm really not saying that's true in this case but it is something to keep in mind.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »

In the concert review section of this message board, we can find reports of all of the Beach Boys shows from 2012. I guess this is the one, that was referenced to in the interview:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13127.0.html

Our user "Cool Water" wrote about the soundcheck and Mike asking Brian if Ambha could sing SOS:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13127.msg280436.html#msg280436

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »

heavens, the "story" is the one in the book; likely the version cobbled together in the interview news item (unless there is video) ran into pronoun trouble.

The point is that a band had tention over wives. . . . .radical

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »

Isn't there something that interrogators say about how true stories tend to be told one way but made up stories tend to have a variety of different versions? I'm really not saying that's true in this case but it is something to keep in mind.

I don't know what interrogators say but my Grandma used to say 'Liars have to have good memories.'
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx