gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:35:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike opens up about Melinda.  (Read 65809 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »

If looking for context is important, then I'd ask why Mike doesn't mention his failed 2005 lawsuit in the book. After reading that transcript, it's amazing Brian and Al even shared a stage with Mike considering the language used against both of them, especially Al who didn't even have skin in the game. But they did, and C50 happened for the fans' benefit. Now Mike goes on national television and goes after Brian's wife? Again, if Mike's phone isn't ringing with an invitation from Brian to write songs, is it hard to see why that might be?

GF - -  the context is what is in the book. 

There is a story about "Sloop" and Al, where he probably should have been given credit. (Likely Murry again) I did not understand that Al had done some arranging (charts) and it was not just a matter of "Let's do Sloop John B" but Murry seemed to want it all. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »

GF - IIRC - the whole drugs thing was the lawsuit that Landy propelled into court to attempt to "set aside" the transfer of Sea of Tunes to A + M and examine the charges of fraud.

Nope, Mike has in recent months and years referred pejoratively to Brian being medicated *present-day*, NOTHING to do with Landy. Mike's words in interviews of recent years have been interpreted by many to be an attempt to compare Brian's current medicated state and general state to what occurred to him in the Landy years. Yes, some if not many believe Mike has tried to imply Melinda (and others around Brian?) is/are analogous to Landy. And that is not only despicable, but demonstrably false.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 06:52:03 AM »

GF - IIRC - the whole drugs thing was the lawsuit that Landy propelled into court to attempt to "set aside" the transfer of Sea of Tunes to A + M and examine the charges of fraud.

Nope, Mike has in recent months and years referred pejoratively to Brian being medicated *present-day*, NOTHING to do with Landy. Mike's words in interviews of recent years have been interpreted by many to be an attempt to compare Brian's current medicated state and general state to what occurred to him in the Landy years. Yes, some if not many believe Mike has tried to imply Melinda (and others around Brian?) is/are analogous to Landy. And that is not only despicable, but demonstrably false.
Hey Jude - I am dealing strictly with the contents of the book. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 06:53:58 AM »

GF - -  the context is what is in the book. 

I once saw Al eat an ice cream cone. In saying that, I've provided some level of context.

There is some level of context in Mike's words, but the point is that there maybe isn't *enough* context. "The context is what is in the book" is like saying "One equals one."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 06:58:14 AM »

I would say a 2005 lawsuit that got extensive coverage in the press especially after Brian was getting tons of positive press and accolades from Smile would have been the definition of "context" as in a topic that could have been covered in the book. Maybe because Mike lost the suit, that wasn't the kind of context the book was looking to provide? Was it coincidence that many of the points of argument and disagreement being repeated to this day were listed in that lawsuit filing, a suit which got tossed out of multiple courts complete with damages being awarded those who were sued?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »

Clearly. But in doing so, you're *ignoring* what GF said and what you were appearing to try to respond to. GF said this:

he's been making comments about the Wilson family and drug abuse and all of that in interview after interview, repeating the comments about Brian being "controlled" and kept drugged as recent as in the past month

So once again you either didn't fully read what GF said, or chose to ignore it and make your own point. You quoted those comments of GF in your response, where GF talked about recent Mike interviews, and you instead talked ONLY about what is in the book.

I think one of the points that may come up in a discussion of Mike's book is what he DIDN'T mention or include. I would humbly suggest that if your response to every instance where someone raises what ISN'T in the book is going to be to cite some reflexive property of "what's in the book is in the book", then maybe you should skip the discussion.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:59:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »

Okay, so I don't have the book in front of me right now to compare his interview quote directly with the text of the book, but is Mike actually misquoting his own book (and memory) in that interview? The description above indicates the book describes an episode where Melinda told Mike's *wife* that Mike isn't Brian's partner, she (Melinda) is. No indication based on that description as to whether Mike was present when Melinda said this to Jackie, but either way, it sounds like it was addressed to Jackie and not Mike.

Yeah, this is what I'm asking. Because as it stands now it seems as if Mike is a bit unsure of the contents of his own book. Can anyone who has the book confirm whether or not the news story corresponds to the book's story?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 07:02:51 AM »

Clearly. But in doing so, you're *ignoring* what GF said and what you were appearing to try to respond to. GF said this:

he's been making comments about the Wilson family and drug abuse and all of that in interview after interview, repeating the comments about Brian being "controlled" and kept drugged as recent as in the past month

So once again you either didn't fully read what GF said, or chose to ignore it and make your own point. You quoted those comments of GF in your response, where GF talked about recent Mike interviews, and you instead talked ONLY about what is in the book.

I think one of the point that may come up in a discussion of MIke's book is what he DIDN'T mention or include. I would humbly suggest that if your response to every instance where someone raises what ISN'T in the book is going to be to cite some reflexive property of "what's in the book is in the book", then maybe you should skip the discussion.
Hey Jude - that is not in the book.  I read over 400 pages of the book.   What is in that book (which I think BB fans should read) has a huge amount of info about the history of the band. I am not taking this bait.  The book deals with a lot and I won't be dragged into other interviews that have been done.  This book is a lot to digest, and when Brian's book comes out, I'll read that too.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:04:17 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2016, 07:03:21 AM »

I would say a 2005 lawsuit that got extensive coverage in the press especially after Brian was getting tons of positive press and accolades from Smile would have been the definition of "context" as in a topic that could have been covered in the book. Maybe because Mike lost the suit, that wasn't the kind of context the book was looking to provide? Was it coincidence that many of the points of argument and disagreement being repeated to this day were listed in that lawsuit filing, a suit which got tossed out of multiple courts complete with damages being awarded those who were sued?

The 2005 lawsuit was certainly a low point, and it's rife with rejections and condemnations of Mike and his legal team. The story of fabricating evidence via eBay purchases, shenanigans about establishing places of residences to file the suit, etc. There's nothing in that chapter of the saga that reflects well on Mike. I'm not surprised if he didn't mention it in his book. Disappointed of course; that would be a great moment for Mike to have just one quick little moment of humility.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 07:09:37 AM »

Hey Jude - that is not in the book.  I read over 400 pages of the book.   What is in that book (which I think BB fans should read) has a huge amount of info about the history of the band. I am not taking this bait.  The book deals with a lot and I won't be dragged into other interviews that have been done.  This book and when Brian's book comes out, I'll read that too.  

If you want to ignore other interviews, ignore what other posters are saying, that's your prerogative. I think it's silly and just an arbitrary rule you think you can set for this discussion (but of course you can't actually set such a rule). But then please don't quote and respond to someone's comments about OTHER interviews by citing the book as the only valid source for discussion in this thread.

Again, it sounds like this isn't the thread for you. People *ARE* going to bring up other interviews, other conflicting stories, other books, ALL of that sort of stuff, including what ISN'T in the book. It's absolutely silly to confine the discussion at hand to ONLY what is in the book.

PLEASE don't bog this thread down with circular comments pointing back to "THE BOOK" and nothing but "THE BOOK." People are allowed, and should, cite other things outside of the book in discussing the book. If you disagree with that, if you disagree with the very simple, fundamental idea that people will bring in things other than just the book in discussing the book, then I would ask (and all I can do is ask) that you move to another thread.

Maybe you can start a separate "Let's Discuss the Book, and Nothing But the Book" thread where the idea is to never mention anything outside of the book.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 07:15:40 AM »

Hey Jude - that is not in the book.  I read over 400 pages of the book.   What is in that book (which I think BB fans should read) has a huge amount of info about the history of the band. I am not taking this bait.  The book deals with a lot and I won't be dragged into other interviews that have been done.  This book and when Brian's book comes out, I'll read that too.  

If you want to ignore other interviews, ignore what other posters are saying, that's your prerogative. I think it's silly and just an arbitrary rule you think you can set for this discussion (but of course you can't actually set such a rule). But then please don't quote and respond to someone's comments about OTHER interviews by citing the book as the only valid source for discussion in this thread.

Again, it sounds like this isn't the thread for you. People *ARE* going to bring up other interviews, other conflicting stories, other books, ALL of that sort of stuff, including what ISN'T in the book. It's absolutely silly to confine the discussion at hand to ONLY what is in the book.

PLEASE don't bog this thread down with circular comments pointing back to "THE BOOK" and nothing but "THE BOOK." People are allowed, and should, cite other things outside of the book in discussing the book. If you disagree with that, if you disagree with the very simple, fundamental idea that people will bring in things other than just the book in discussing the book, then I would ask (and all I can do is ask) that you move to another thread.

Maybe you can start a separate "Let's Discuss the Book, and Nothing But the Book" thread where the idea is to never mention anything outside of the book.
Hey Jude - you have a beachboysopinions website.  Why would you not read a book by a Beach Boy?  Why would anyone opine about a book they had not read? Or take a slice from a news report (2nd generation) and comment without having it (the book) right in front of you?  

Without reading it, it is an "uninformed opinion."  

It is cheap.  Or, free in a library.  

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:17:59 AM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 07:16:20 AM »

sorry double post  - mea culpa  Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:17:30 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 07:21:51 AM »

Filledeplage: Master of the Chewbacca Theory.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »

When Mike went on CBS and made the comments directed at Melinda, it went out to however many million viewers were watching, listening, or reading that linked transcript from the CBS program. He cannot assume everyone watching had his book in hand, or even knew he had a book on the market until that segment was aired. Therefore, that's the context - what he said on CBS.

And I'll say again, if Mike is going after Brian's wife on a television appearance adding to all of the comments since 2012 placed in his various interviews promoting his concerts within dozens of newspapers and various outlets, not to mention whatever went on via legal actions, is it surprising that Mike isn't getting invitations from Brian to write songs? If Mike goes after Brian's wife, family, etc in public, and it's been ongoing for years, why or how would Mike be disappointed if they don't have a personal relationship? We're still talking about real people with real emotions and feelings.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »

Hey Jude - you have a beachboysopinions website.  Why would you not read a book by a Beach Boy?  Why would anyone opine about a book they had not read? Or take a slice from a news report (2nd generation) and comment without having it right in front of you? 

It is cheap.  Or, free in a library. 

What are you talking about? When did I say I would not read any book? How do you even know how far I've read into Mike's book? I mentioned above that I don't have it in front of me. I meant that in the literal sense. I'm at a computer and can't put the book in front of me at this precise moment. I didn't say I haven't or won't read it. Nice try, the "they haven't even read the book" argument is I'm sure going to be the first line of defense for Mike defenders.

I'm not questioning talking about the book. We obviously can and should; it's the main crux of these discussions.

What I'm talking about is your ridiculous assertion that OTHER sources, and how the book and those other sources reflect on each other, should NOT be brought up in this discussion.

Further, the problem in this thread is that you specifically respond to someone citing OTHER sources by saying "it's not in the book." And?

My grandfather's colonoscopy isn't in the book either, but I'm pretty sure it happened. Just because Mike chose to not discuss something in his book doesn't mean we can't bring it up. Again, what *isn't* in the book will be one of the points of discussions about the book. That he left out the high-profile 2005 lawsuit is a *huge* deal.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »

Filledeplage: Master of the Chewbacca Theory.

Oh my God, you're absolutely right. I admit, I had to look this up, but this pretty much is indeed exactly what is happening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:48 AM »

When Mike went on CBS and made the comments directed at Melinda, it went out to however many million viewers were watching, listening, or reading that linked transcript from the CBS program. He cannot assume everyone watching had his book in hand, or even knew he had a book on the market until that segment was aired. Therefore, that's the context - what he said on CBS.

And I'll say again, if Mike is going after Brian's wife on a television appearance adding to all of the comments since 2012 placed in his various interviews promoting his concerts within dozens of newspapers and various outlets, not to mention whatever went on via legal actions, is it surprising that Mike isn't getting invitations from Brian to write songs? If Mike goes after Brian's wife, family, etc in public, and it's been ongoing for years, why or how would Mike be disappointed if they don't have a personal relationship? We're still talking about real people with real emotions and feelings.
GF - there is so much in that book, I found to be very informative.  Maybe a thread should be set up to address that.  And keep comments confined to "If you read this..." please comment.  

It is intense to read, I found, after going throat 400+ pages.  The interviews are beyond the book.  Those relationships are like them walking off-stage after a show.  They go back to their own lives.  That is for the parties to figure out.  It can't be "vicariously" worked out on a message board. I think it is inappropriate. That is my opinion.  Blood is still thicker than water.  

If you read the book, I think your heart will be touched as Carl explains to Brian how they were kept away from him and were not rejecting him. I think you will gain another insight into the history of the band.    
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2016, 07:37:03 AM »

Hey Jude - you have a beachboysopinions website.  Why would you not read a book by a Beach Boy?  Why would anyone opine about a book they had not read? Or take a slice from a news report (2nd generation) and comment without having it right in front of you?  

It is cheap.  Or, free in a library.  

What are you talking about? When did I say I would not read any book? How do you even know how far I've read into Mike's book? I mentioned above that I don't have it in front of me. I meant that in the literal sense. I'm at a computer and can't put the book in front of me at this precise moment. I didn't say I haven't or won't read it. Nice try, the "they haven't even read the book" argument is I'm sure going to be the first line of defense for Mike defenders.

I'm not questioning talking about the book. We obviously can and should; it's the main crux of these discussions.

What I'm talking about is your ridiculous assertion that OTHER sources, and how the book and those other sources reflect on each other, should NOT be brought up in this discussion.

Further, the problem in this thread is that you specifically respond to someone citing OTHER sources by saying "it's not in the book." And?

My grandfather's colonoscopy isn't in the book either, but I'm pretty sure it happened. Just because Mike chose to not discuss something in his book doesn't mean we can't bring it up. Again, what *isn't* in the book will be one of the points of discussions about the book. That he left out the high-profile 2005 lawsuit is a *huge* deal.

Hey Jude - If you have read the book, why don't you comment on it?   Those are MY impressions from what I read.  Some are refusing to read it because they have a bias against anything "Mike" related.  And refuse to see that much of this band's history is irrefutably a result of people who interfered with the band and the band members.  The old "divide and conquer" method.  

You "could" give a copy of both books to your parents and grand parents and then ask their opinions on it. They read about The Beach Boys in "real time."  Did you?  Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:42:09 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 07:44:18 AM »

Hey Jude - If you have read the book, why don't you comment on it?   Those are MY impressions from what I read.  Some are refusing to read it because they have a bias against anything "Mike" related.  And refuse to see that much of this band's history is irrefutably a result of people who interfered with the band and the band members.  The old "divide and conquer" method.  

You give a copy of both books to your parents and grand parents and then ask their opinions on it. They read about The Beach Boys in "real time."  Did you?  Wink

What are you talking about? I'm in a thread talking about the book. I'm talking about the book.

I'll make any comments or reviews on any or all parts of the books when I damn well feel like it.

Are you trying to make rules for how we're supposed to talk about the book? Are we supposed to talk about it chapter by chapter?

Again, it seems like you're the only one who continually has a problem with the premise of these threads, the execution of these threads, and what people are saying or not saying in these threads. So I again suggest that you start another thread where you can try to set some arbitrary rules about what can't or can be discussed, and about how the book should be discussed.

And, not that it matters, but for the record if I wanted to introduce someone to the BBs, I wouldn't give them either autobiography. I'd probably give them Jon Stebbins's "FAQ" book, maybe Jim Murphy's book for the formative years, and even though I haven't read Brian's book yet, I'd probably end up leaning towards giving someone something like Carlin's book until such time that someone can do a Mark Lewisohn-style biography on the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:47:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »

Perhaps it might help to note that this thread is about a quote from a Mike Love interview not the book.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »

Perhaps it might help to note that this thread is about a quote from a Mike Love interview not the book.

Thank you for pointing this out. It's more about the interview, and how the book lines up or doesn't line up with what he said in the interview.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »

Poor Mike he is always getting the short end of the stick.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »

Poor Mike he is always getting the short end of the stick.

I think that was the working title for the book before they settled on "Good Vibrations."

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx