gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:47:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acoustic bass discussion  (Read 3055 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2006, 04:23:10 PM »

Hello, Smilers.  I am considering the purchase of an acoustic bass, and am looking for any information, discussion, recommendations, etc. that might be had here.  Does anyone own one?  What brand?  What's good about it, and what don't you like?  It's going to be a bit of an expensive present to myself, so i'd like as much information as possible.  I play in an acoustic trio [for those of you who don't know!], and we play a little bit of everything.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 09:37:51 PM »

Should I assume you mean acoustic bass guitar?  Or do you mean string bass?
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:18:22 AM »

I'm sorry - yes, acoustic bass guitar.  I already truck around a guitarrone; it would be nice to downsize rather than upsize!

And this is really just part of my rich and active fantasy life...but one of these days i would LOVE to have, say, a Martin acoustic.  I would need to be in a situation where we plug in, however, and right now my band plugs in nothing but the microphone and sound system - none of the instruments.  And i don't think a true acoustic guitar can hold its own against, say, an accordian and a banjo...
:-/

PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 09:10:31 AM »

Acoustic guitars have been holding their own with banjos for decades. Now an accordion might be a different story. You might want to tell him not to squeeze it too hard.
   I toyed with the idea of an acoustic/electric bass, but decided on an electric bass with a small bass amp for intimate clubs with just acoustic guitars. Gives you the bottom you need, you can control the volume and tone, and a small amp is not too heavy to lug around.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »

Thanks for those thoughts, Paul.  We kind of hang our hat on being 100% acoustic - we plug in NO instruments, only our single mic and sound system - so the option of a small amp doesn't exist, at least insofar as this particular band is concerned.  But one of these days i would love to have something with frets on; the guitarrone, while cool and memorable, is NOT a precision instrument.

PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 08:41:16 PM »

...I just don't think the small acoustic basses are going to give you what you need, sound-wise. and you don't need to spend 400-500 dollars to find that out. Your other option is a stand up Bass, 1000 bucks new, 700 used. I've messed with one, and it can give you acoustic bottom in a strictly acoustic setting. Good luck, Susan.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:27:28 AM »

Well, you're right, of course - and that's why we went with the guitarrone in the first place.  It has the sound and volume of the stand-up, but it plays like a guitar.  I just had a bad day or so of the "I wants," and it was totally focused on another Martin...and since i have a 6-string and am too ham-handed to play a 12-string, i was looking at basses.

And one of these days, perhaps i'll get one.  Thanks for taking the time, Paul.  I appreciate it.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx